Help with Firefox - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Help with Firefox

Firefox keeps acting stupid on my home pc. It has done great since I started using it 8 months ago but now when I open it and it directs me to my homepage (foxnews.com) it get hung up and stops responding. I have even tried going to other sites and it does the same. I have cleared out the temp files, cache, ran spybot and adaware, restarted and just started defrag on it this morning before I left for work. I have yet to test it after defrag but what else could I be missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Time Served

redownload firefox, uninstall it, and then reinstall it - mine did it as well and i havnt had a problem since reinstalling it
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Lifer

Run adaware se personal edition with the latest updates.

I'm defending my home with a martial art: Klik-Pau

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiscat2000
Run adaware se personal edition with the latest updates.

Did that with no effect, also defrag didnt help. Guess Im uninstalling it and re-installing it
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 07:03 PM
Raiden Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason
Firefox keeps acting stupid on my home pc. It has done great since I started using it 8 months ago but now when I open it and it directs me to my homepage (foxnews.com) it get hung up and stops responding. I have even tried going to other sites and it does the same. I have cleared out the temp files, cache, ran spybot and adaware, restarted and just started defrag on it this morning before I left for work. I have yet to test it after defrag but what else could I be missing?
I've also noticed stuff like this. Don't get me wrong I love Firefox especially with all the little features, but it just doesn't seem to run as solid as IE and can freeze up alot.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by def1eppard
I've also noticed stuff like this. Don't get me wrong I love Firefox especially with all the little features, but it just doesn't seem to run as solid as IE and can freeze up alot.
Yep, I have noticed that too. I love firefox but its stuff like this that frustrates me! BTW, even with a uninstall/re-install it still runs like butt but nothing else does including IE
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 09:25 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Have you updated to 1.0.3? Been using Firefox problem free for almost 2 years now.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 06:00 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Have you updated to 1.0.3? Been using Firefox problem free for almost 2 years now.
Good one.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:

Yep, last night when I uninstalled/reinstalled I downloaded the latest version (1.0.3) and it still acted goofey. Im begining to think it is my box but if thats the case why isnt IE or anything else screwing up? I just upgraded to 3 meg DSL and I can see the difference in IE but Firefox doesnt seem to have responded near as good. Sucks too, cause I hate IE
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Raiden Wins

Quote:
Yep, last night when I uninstalled/reinstalled I downloaded the latest version (1.0.3) and it still acted goofey. Im begining to think it is my box but if thats the case why isnt IE or anything else screwing up? I just upgraded to 3 meg DSL and I can see the difference in IE but Firefox doesnt seem to have responded near as good. Sucks too, cause I hate IE
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that too. IE also seems to load pages a little bit faster....and sometimes Firefox randomly won't connect with websites, then I'll turn around and try them on IE and they work fine.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Time Served

Quote:
damn man, im sorry it didnt work for ya
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 03:13 AM
Time Served

Quote:

as a firefox user, you make me laugh

i have had problems that i didnt have on ie...maybe i should just go back

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 03:53 AM
Raiden Wins

I would like to be a problem free Firefox user, but of course it is not flawless....hopefully it will only get better with time.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 03:21 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

It's true, Firefox just doesn't work for some websites, that are specifically coded for IE. Either it won't work at all, or it will work, but look like ass. Nothing the Firefox team can do about that, without forcing Firefox to act like IE, which would then open up the possibilty of Firefox inheriting all of IE's problems.

So don't count on it ever happening. Instead, try finding websites that have the same content you want, that don't require IE. I've found all the websites I go to work fine to perfect with Firefox, so I've had no reason to even install IE with my latest format/reinstall using an nLite'd installation. But then, I'm no surfing every concievable website in existance 24/7. I've got a core of about 20 websites that I frequent, and then occasionally I have a need to check out other sites. I haven't run into any yet, that refuse to work under Firefox. I'd estimate I've visted a few thousand unique websites over the past near 2 years of using Firefox exclusively.

My browsing habits aren't all that common, apparently. But even friends of mine that are using Firefox, don't have any problems. And they are the type that browses every conceivable website in existance. I got them to switch to Firefox, at a time when their computers were riddled with spyware, trojans, and other viruses that they knew about but didn't want to take the time to back up hundreds of gigs for a format/reinstall. Firefox performed like a champ, even then (back in the 0.7 days). Now, they've been using Firefox since then, after a format/reinstall or two, and they still aren't having problems with it.

I honestly don't know why Firefox can work perfect for some people, and be a bitch for others. I'd be interested in finding out if it's actually Firefox, ID10T error's, or something else installed on the system causing the problems.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 03:37 PM
I'm Yer Huckleberry

i run firefox on all 3 of my machines and never had a problem with any of them. and one is a old 400mhz and works just fine

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2009 HD Street Glide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement