Is our IT guy a damn thief? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Is our IT guy a damn thief?

Kind of a long story but help me decide the course of action to take.

I was asked by the owner of my company to do an audit of our computers to see where all of our software is installed and to get all the computers up to date. Well I start going through the brand new xp machines and notice that everyone of them has the same serial number for xp pro. They all have different certificate of auth. stickers. Here is the catch we only have one xp cd. He is an outsourced guy we use out of house IT. He claims that compaq/hp just ghosted the hard drives onto all of them and that is how it happened. Well the owner of my company wants our copies of xp that come with the computers. I call this morning he says oh well they don't ship those with the computers anymore. We received two computers from him the other day and low and behold guess what is inside? None other than the XP pro svc pack 2 cd. From my experience with xp you would have to use "reset 5" to be able to register more than one copy. Here is the real kicker to this story. My mom works for antoher firm that uses this same guy and I had her check some of their computers with XP on them and 6 out of 7 were running the exact same copy of xp also. Now if that isn't some shit I don't know what is.

Kyle

I'm defending my home with a martial art: Klik-Pau

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Samurai Schmuck

Damn. I'd call Bill Gates directly!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 09:35 AM
That's my Ass

That no be deal really as long as licenses have been purchased for that machine. Here we have a corporate licenses which we can put say Microsoft Office on as many machines as we want here. Now where it get illegal say if we do other people computers. Since he is a 3rd party person that where it gets sticky

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Time Served

Thats normal. I create the images for my company and use the same key on all of them. They all have a sticker on the top with another key, but that doesn't mean anything. Also, there is an option to ship computers w/ or w/o media. I'd be careful before you go pointing fingers. I don't see anything wrong.

03 ProCharged Z06 - 706rwhp
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

That is the thing he says he didn't even reformat the machines. Hp wouldn't just put the exact same copy of xp on 23 different computers that we bought at different times now would they???

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 10:59 AM
El Camino

As far as I know reset5 is the only way to around the activation of XP. If its the same key in two companies that seems odd.

We also have a site license with MS and use one key for xp, one key for server os, and one key for office products.

This is one reason why I wont do any side work unless the software licensing is on the up and up.

It might be worth having another person come in and take a look at what all this outside person is doing.

Let me know if you need any help and if I have time I can try to help out or find someone who can.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 11:07 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be
As far as I know reset5 is the only way to around the activation of XP.
You should know better.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

We don't have a site license or any of that. It is not the same cd key at the other place that we have here. But their computers are done the same exact way. Either he is telling the truth and it is completely legit. Or this mother fucker is scamming everyone. I just found this out he was supposed to be delivering 3.4ghz machines with a gig or ram well that is what he charged us for. Guess what??? 2.8ghz with 512mb ram. This dude is trying to scam us. I am going to throw the flag on this now before we lose more money.

Kyle

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Time Served

You do not have to have a different CD key on every PC as long as you can prove a license for each was purchased. We receive no media with any of our HP/Compaq machines. It is my understanding that you cannot buy a desktop PC from HP/Compaq without some type of operating system included. We tried to do this so we could pull the license off the old PC's (being retired) and save the money but they would not allow it. We create an image off of one PC and use it on thousands so they all have the same license. When we purchase a license for any software we receive only an email from the vendor, no media. This is a cost cutting meausre that saves about $26 per copy of software. We can order the bare media by itself for around $20-$30 depending on the software package but no license is provided. I have two sets of CD's for XP Pro for about 600 PC's that I support.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 11:58 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

We have a "developer pc" that I created and update about once every 6 months. We just burn a new hard disk and the developer has everything he needs to be up and running. Same serial numbers across the board. But I have a file drawer full of the licenses we purchase when we do this.

I think the point everyone missing here is that this person isn't delivering a new computer down the hall to Sally. He is delivering computers to companies that are not his own company. I certainly would not take delivery of any desktop or server that had software installed that didn't have legitmate evidence of a true license.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
We have a "developer pc" that I created and update about once every 6 months. We just burn a new hard disk and the developer has everything he needs to be up and running. Same serial numbers across the board. But I have a file drawer full of the licenses we purchase when we do this.

I think the point everyone missing here is that this person isn't delivering a new computer down the hall to Sally. He is delivering computers to companies that are not his own company. I certainly would not take delivery of any desktop or server that had software installed that didn't have legitmate evidence of a true license.
EXACTLY

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 01:07 PM
duh...duh....duh

Since it is a little sticky, I'd call Microsoft directly - but somewhat anonymous and ask them directly for guidance. I'd stay anonymous if possible, it ensure they don't push an audit or whatever.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 12:19 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I would call HP and ask them how they provide proof of licensing for their systems.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement