recovering info from hardrive - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member
 
fordracing19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lake Dallas Texas
Posts: 6,850
recovering info from hardrive

Dell came and replaced the hd on our server and we need important info off of it. My tech support bro in law tried to use a program but no luck. Said the hd was dead. Any places in the area that can get the files and what would this cost.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
fordracing19 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 04:37 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
 
01WhiteCobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Where's my beer?
Posts: 21,924
http://www.datarecovery.net/default.asp

It ain't cheap (depending on what it is)

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
01WhiteCobra is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 11:50 PM
El Camino
 
Stang2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: in front of the keyboard
Posts: 3,432
data recovery if they have to do it physically is very very expensive.

now is a good time to review your back up plan. once you see the bill you will kick yourself for not having fault tolerant disks or a good backup solution.

Is it a scsi drive? Was it part of a raid array?

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Stang2be is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: DFW
Posts: 936
It's very expensive and the charges apply even if they don't recover any data. The previous company I worked for got stuck with several high bills for absolutely nothing.
dmh165638 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 09:56 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,080
don't use data recovery!!!


the only thing they do is put the harddrive in a freezer, the cold temps make the hard drive contract and then they put it in the computer long enough to pull the info off the HD before it heats back up and crashes again. it may take several tries but i was told it would work.


so if you have a freezer just pull the hd wrap it in a ziplock so not to get wet, and put it in the freezer for 24 hours or so. take it out of the freezer, put it in the computer and try to pull the info off.

one of my college professors told me this trick, never tried it tho.
stevinwayne is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 01:46 AM
Strong to Quite Strong
 
bug1124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Colony, TX
Posts: 1,162
Some data recovery services actually remove the platters from the hdd to access them...I think this is one of the reasons the price can be so high.
bug1124 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 12:09 PM
El Camino
 
Stang2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: in front of the keyboard
Posts: 3,432
If the drive wont power up or spin the platters then physically removing them and pulling the data directly off the platters is the only way I know of and thats where the big bucks come in.

All of this can be avoided if people take proper precaution to backup critical data and probably costs less than having to pay a recovery place.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Stang2be is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 12:46 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
 
01WhiteCobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Where's my beer?
Posts: 21,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevinwayne
don't use data recovery!!!


the only thing they do is put the harddrive in a freezer, the cold temps make the hard drive contract and then they put it in the computer long enough to pull the info off the HD before it heats back up and crashes again. it may take several tries but i was told it would work.


so if you have a freezer just pull the hd wrap it in a ziplock so not to get wet, and put it in the freezer for 24 hours or so. take it out of the freezer, put it in the computer and try to pull the info off.

one of my college professors told me this trick, never tried it tho.
Ummmm.... ok. Was this prof from the Sally Struther's school of Computer Repair?

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
01WhiteCobra is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 12:47 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
 
01WhiteCobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Where's my beer?
Posts: 21,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be
If the drive wont power up or spin the platters then physically removing them and pulling the data directly off the platters is the only way I know of and thats where the big bucks come in.

All of this can be avoided if people take proper precaution to backup critical data and probably costs less than having to pay a recovery place.
What are you a freakin' CISSP?

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
01WhiteCobra is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 02:16 PM
El Camino
 
Stang2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: in front of the keyboard
Posts: 3,432
doh busted. but backups should be part of a good admin's job. In my years doing server admin stuff it was always part of my review/bonus on how accurate we were on being able to recover files from the backups.

I've had the same problem with family members. One of them I even got set up with a maxtor external hd and it has a backup feature that all he has to do is press a button and poof it backs up his hard drive yet he still doesnt remember to do that.

I just hate to see people have to spend out the ass to recover data when there are cheap methods to be fault tolerant.

Even just an IDE raid card doing raid 1 is something or even software mirroring inside a windows server os. Heck even just using the built in back up utility is something

/rant off

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Stang2be is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 02:26 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: DFW
Posts: 936
The freezer trick does work on occasion. I have used it successfully twice years ago. I am not sure how the newer hard drives would respond. You can Google it and see there are numerous websites that talk about how to do it. Some data recovery places try this first and then resort to removing platters usually in some type of clean room/container.
dmh165638 is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 02:43 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
 
01WhiteCobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Where's my beer?
Posts: 21,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be
doh busted. but backups should be part of a good admin's job. In my years doing server admin stuff it was always part of my review/bonus on how accurate we were on being able to recover files from the backups.

I've had the same problem with family members. One of them I even got set up with a maxtor external hd and it has a backup feature that all he has to do is press a button and poof it backs up his hard drive yet he still doesnt remember to do that.

I just hate to see people have to spend out the ass to recover data when there are cheap methods to be fault tolerant.

Even just an IDE raid card doing raid 1 is something or even software mirroring inside a windows server os. Heck even just using the built in back up utility is something

/rant off
Damn, it's like I'm in a seminar with Shon Harris and Hal Tipton.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
01WhiteCobra is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 03:08 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
 
01WhiteCobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Where's my beer?
Posts: 21,924
The correct way to get data off the harddrive

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
01WhiteCobra is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 10:52 PM
El Camino
 
Stang2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: in front of the keyboard
Posts: 3,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
That looks like much more fun that having to write 1s and 0s to old drives in machines we dispose of

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Stang2be is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome