DSL problems - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Flyer

DSL problems

I'm at work so I figured I would ask here for some ideas when I get home.

We've got SBC DSL and lately we've had problems getting online for several minutes along with the download speed dropping from an average of 150Kb+/sec down to barely 35kb/sec.

Scenario: Attempt to get onto Xbox Live and cannot because the modem will not do anything. Run a troubleshooter and the modem is not detected. Trying to get onto the internet the first time does this as well... takes many attempts before the modem will begin working.

To fix this I've found that I have to plug the line into my laptop, fire up Internet Explorer and get onto the internet. This takes several minutes because the modem will not immediately work. Many times I have to keep trying to get on a website before the "activity" light on the modem begins to blink actively. Once this happens, I can unplug the cable from the laptop and plug into the Xbox and jump onto Xbox Live no problem. Now if I log off Xbox and let it sit a long time, the problem happens again.

I've tried cycling the modem to no avail.

Anyone have some input before I give SBC a call?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 10:47 AM
98 SVT Cobra

We had so many problems with SBC that we finally dropped them and went with Comcast.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLX
I'm at work so I figured I would ask here for some ideas when I get home.

We've got SBC DSL and lately we've had problems getting online for several minutes along with the download speed dropping from an average of 150Kb+/sec down to barely 35kb/sec.

Scenario: Attempt to get onto Xbox Live and cannot because the modem will not do anything. Run a troubleshooter and the modem is not detected. Trying to get onto the internet the first time does this as well... takes many attempts before the modem will begin working.

To fix this I've found that I have to plug the line into my laptop, fire up Internet Explorer and get onto the internet. This takes several minutes because the modem will not immediately work. Many times I have to keep trying to get on a website before the "activity" light on the modem begins to blink actively. Once this happens, I can unplug the cable from the laptop and plug into the Xbox and jump onto Xbox Live no problem. Now if I log off Xbox and let it sit a long time, the problem happens again.

I've tried cycling the modem to no avail.

Anyone have some input before I give SBC a call?

Thanks
sounds like you may need a new modem, as far as the drop in packets, it may be a wiring issue on your phone lines. the only way to determine that is have a tech come out and look at the lines. i had teh same problem. i work for SBC, not the DSL side but it sounded like the same problem i had in the packet loss.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Flyer

Moon Dog, we originally had Comcast before we moved and loved it. Over 3mb down just friggin rocked. Where we moved to only offers SBC though, which is now sucking.

Thanks, I'll give them a call and have them come check it out.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 06:04 PM
老师

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawgs75
sounds like you may need a new modem, as far as the drop in packets, it may be a wiring issue on your phone lines. the only way to determine that is have a tech come out and look at the lines. i had teh same problem. i work for SBC, not the DSL side but it sounded like the same problem i had in the packet loss.
rgr that, i have comcast nd the same thing wa happening, it turned out to be the modem. plus if you sign up for comcast in the specified time period they send you a free Creativ mp3 player/flash drive cobo . Anyway, it was dropping me every few minutes and the download speeds were dropping to 10% of their supposed speed. they came out and replaced the modem, works fine now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement