video card advise? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Merry HoHo

video card advise?

i was want to hook my playstion up to my computer. a friend told to buy a new video card that would allow me to do it. what do i ask for when i go shopping and what do i stay away from?

.(OBAMA) One Big Ass Mistake America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 07:57 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEAKY
i was want to hook my playstion up to my computer. a friend told to buy a new video card that would allow me to do it. what do i ask for when i go shopping and what do i stay away from?

I use a PS2 VGA adapter and play my PS2 on my monitor.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 07:58 PM
11-05-09

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Merry HoHo

<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ps1

.(OBAMA) One Big Ass Mistake America
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 10:10 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEAKY
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ps1

The PS1 uses the same connection port as the PS2. Not so sure about the slimline, tho.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 11:02 PM

Is there a difference at all playing on your pc monitor. If so what are they?

Thanks
Rob1
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:10 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrmilperf
Is there a difference at all playing on your pc monitor. If so what are they?

Thanks
Rob1
I don't know if there is a difference with the PS2, but with the xbox, if you play on a pc monitor and have your xbox connected to it via the "x2vga" adaptor then it will be in high definition. That is if its connected to a crt monitor, not an lcd monitor. The pixel refresh rate on a lcd monitor isn't quite as fast as a crt monitor so in other words it would look better on a crt.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyz R Us
I don't know if there is a difference with the PS2, but with the xbox, if you play on a pc monitor and have your xbox connected to it via the "x2vga" adaptor then it will be in high definition. That is if its connected to a crt monitor, not an lcd monitor. The pixel refresh rate on a lcd monitor isn't quite as fast as a crt monitor so in other words it would look better on a crt.

I have a Viewsonic UltraBrite A91f+ Crt. So when you say "High Definition", would that be the same as if I was playing it on a hi-def tv.

Thanks
Rob1
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 05:08 PM
11-05-09

Quote:

It'll only be Hi-Def if your monitor is hi-def compatible. Other wise, you just get a really clean picture.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Time Served

Technically it won't be the same as playing on a high-def tv, but I have both a high-def tv and a crt, and there is NOT a noticable difference at all. CRT monitors can display such high resolutions that the "really clear" picture that 'Silver' was talking about will be just as good as playing on a high-def tv. I was impressed....Thats just my opinion.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 10:01 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Technically it won't be the same as playing on a high-def tv, but I have both a high-def tv and a crt, and there is NOT a noticable difference at all. CRT monitors can display such high resolutions that the "really clear" picture that 'Silver' was talking about will be just as good as playing on a high-def tv. I was impressed....Thats just my opinion.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 12:34 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

The refresh on lcd is 60hz which is identical to hdtv specs, so a crt with a higher refresh won't affect the overall quality of the picture. PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, they all run at 60hz, regardless of what they're plugged into.

You could also run it through a tv tuner card... however, I'd recommend against getting an add-on card, and go for a video card with a tv tuner built onto it. I've gone through 3 different add on cards in the past 3 weeks trying to find one that will allow me to hook my consoles up and play some games, the best one (ATI TV Wonder Pro) had about a half second delay if "Best Picture Quality" wasn't checked... and of course it looked like shit. If "Best Picture Quality" was checked, the delay increased to 1 second. The worst card was a Diamond XtremeTV PVR550, running without de-interlacing, it had a 2 second delay... almost 4 seconds with de-interlacing. And the software for the Diamond sucked ass. Avoid SnapStream's Beyond TV... it's quite possibly the worst piece of software I've ever dealt with.

My monitor has svideo and composite video inputs, in addition to the standard dvi and vga connections. But I want to be able to take screenshots while I play, or record replays without having to waste memory card space. Neither of which can be done with the vga converters, or plugging directly into the provided ports on my monitor.

I just took back the last of the add on tv tuners, and placed an order at newegg for an All In Wonder 9600XT. It's only about $70 more than the add-on tv tuners I was trying, and I know the AIW 7500 I have in my htpc had no problems with being able to play games through it. I can only imagine the AIW 9600XT will do the same. I would've just used the 7500, but I need something with a little more oomph for pc games

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 05:35 AM
Time Served

Nice post Dark, I have a 9600 AIW, it works pretty good....can't imagine what the XT would be like!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement