DFW Mustang Forums banner

Windows ME machine sees Netgear router, but won't connect to the internet...

365 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Smokin'Performance 
#1 ·
i just set my daughter's windows ME up with a wireless network card, installed the drivers, followed the directions, etc...well, now, it sees the router, and i can connect to it...(it says it's connected), but when i open internet explorer, it won't connect. i've clicked "detect network settings" and tried a few other things, but it just won't connect to the internet... does anyone know what to do, here?

thanks,

brad

#4 ·
lmfao windows me? seriously... I thought someone might have TTT this post from 1998.

#6 ·
AbecX said:
lmfao windows me? seriously... I thought someone might have TTT this post from 1998.
this is just an old dell computer P3 1ghz 128mb 20gig hd, etc...just something for her to mess around on the internet with. it worked great when physically connected to DSL... i guess that i'll upgrade to xp...the wireless stuff was MUCH easier to set up on xp. can i upgrade "me" to xp or do i have to get a full copy of xp and start over?

brad

#9 ·
upgrade to windows 2k then try again, windows me....its like they took windows 98 and ran a search for windows 98 and replaced everything that said windows 98 with the words windows me

#11 ·
Make sure the router and the card are using the same protocol, check the channel that the card is set on as well.

The netgear is a strange beast, you have to tell it to do B, G or both, otherwise it will default to one or the other depending on the unit.

If you set up a security key, be sure you have them set to the same on each unit, i.e 10 characters or 14 hex.

Last thing, if the router is new, you have to get the ISP to, in some cases, set up the MAC of the new router. I have comcast and I had to set up the new modem I got, but not the router. In most cases, your router will spoof anyway, just a thought.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.