How long it takes XP to get hit... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

How long it takes XP to get hit...

I upgraded the hard drive in my laptop today from 40GB to 80GB and memory to a GB. Since I was replacing the hard drive I figured it was a good time to selectively install stuff back on to it and get rid of 2 years worth of bullshit I didn't need. I have a little 2.5" drive enclosure/USB 2.0 that I put the old one in.

So.. I reinstall Windows XP (albeit a 2 year old version) and started the process of doing updates. Was about 75% through downloading the security updates when I got my first System Message warning me about Adware (the little popup box).

Took them about 15 minutes to find my XP on the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 12:06 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Which is exactly why I unplug my network cable when reinstalling. At least until I get a firewall and anti-virus set up.

And I'm totally enamoured with XPLite for after installation. Unfortunately with XP (and probably 2000) you can remove the IE core... but it breaks just about everything you'd need for system maintenance. All the MMC apps (all the apps under Administrative Tools) require IE core, as well as Device Manager. But at the very least, you can remove the IE browser, and OE mail client.

I also tried using nLite to create an iso of my xp cd, that I could selectively remove components, so they never get installed in the first place. It also allows you to integrate a service pack into the installation if you want... unfortunately by doing that, apparently it doesn't recognize my cd key, so I had to just use my normal disc. But definitely when I decide to reformat again, I'm going to check that out. It's nice, because you can even have it integrate drivers for you, and remove drivers that aren't on your system, so they're not wasting space. Can also have it apply some of the Power Toys tweaks, at installation. Even have it rename the Administrator account, and rename the Documents and Settings folder (but doesn't look like it will rename Program Files, unfortunately ).

And I started using LiteStep again. It was weird having the explorer shell after I reinstalled. I want to find a simple, clean theme that is unobtrusive. I've been using it with the taskbar turned off... since the default Austerity theme's bar is as tall as a double taskbar (ie: it's fucking huge), and that works great, except by turning the bar off, I lose the multiple desktops, and also no system tray (apps on the taskbar are accessed through the "tasks" submenu when you right-click). I'd like to find one that either is bar-less, or has a minimal bar at the very least, but still maintains multiple desktops, and the system tray (or a way to access the system tray quickly).

I think I'll be putting Linux on my laptop whenever I get another. I just got tired of having to constantly boot back into xp whenever I wanted to do something like dvd shrink, or use nero to burn a cd instead of k3b, or xcdroast. And it also sucked whenever WoW would crash (which it's prone to do ... a lot, even in Windows) it'd take down the whole system with it, by way of a hard lockup. Which would also corrupt the fat on the drive, requiring a boot into xp to chkdsk.

My requirments used to be Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver ... or suitable alternatives. But now I realize it's a bit more than that :-/ Add DVDShrink, DVD Decrypter, BSPlayer, PowerDVD (Mplayer and Xine/Ogle are ok, but if someone would port BSPlayer that'd kick ass. And the Mplayerplug-in kicked much ass... I loved being able to fullscreen trailers or whatever ... but the lack of windows media 9 support, and the fact that EVERY site containing streaming video seems to be a whore for windows media 9, kinda makes it hard to enjoy any of the video's linked from here or other forums. Xine and Ogle were a bit finicky about dvd's. Some would work just fine, some would crash when loading the menu, and others would fail to initialize the sound (thus producing an error and crashing) when trying to load the movie (even though the previews/menu have the sound working perfectly)), Nero, ACDSee (though Gphoto I think is what I was using, was pretty nice and would be suitable as an alternative), and Winamp (XMMS is nice, but I want my media library, and having to use 2 seperate programs in addition to XMMS, all to do something similar to what Winamp does with one program... is kind of rediculous. XMMS+MADMan+some multi-file renamer/id3 tag editor ~ Winamp :-/ ). And another minor annoyance, some programs refuse to work with split name directories (ie: Program Files instead of Program_Files), while others don't seem to have a problem with them. Adding "'s around the directory name, or the path, or adding \'s to the directory name wasn't working for the programs that just don't want to work with split name directories.

There's probably more that I'm forgetting :-/

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 09:41 AM
dead

i use win 2000, firefox instead of IE, gaim instead of aim, EZ antivirus instead of norton, media player CLASSIC instead of ANY other video program, real player and quick time alternative that play through mpClassic.

dont have any pop up blockers, firewalls.. i download a lot of shit and i dont have a single problem. have this same setup on all 3 of my computers

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
i use win 2000, firefox instead of IE, gaim instead of aim, EZ antivirus instead of norton, media player CLASSIC instead of ANY other video program, real player and quick time alternative that play through mpClassic.

dont have any pop up blockers, firewalls.. i download a lot of shit and i dont have a single problem. have this same setup on all 3 of my computers
This was just a default install. Gotta get it installed first.

My new laptop should be in today which will be the work machine and this one is going to be be used as a honeypot for research purposes so I wasn't too too concerned about it.

Just thought it was funny that within the 30 minutes it takes to load up and secure it, someone had already found it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 10:22 AM
\(_o)/

I doubt someone found it, its more like a worm found it. The average time for a windows box to get infected on a public ip was 15 minutes this time last year.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 10:22 AM
dead

yup, it gets ugly real fast! i am amazed you got beat down while doing updates!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
I doubt someone found it, its more like a worm found it. The average time for a windows box to get infected on a public ip was 15 minutes this time last year.

Sorry, you are correct. It was a worm, not a person.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Jimmy who ... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
So.. I reinstall Windows XP (albeit a 2 year old version) and started the process of doing updates. Was about 75% through downloading the security updates when I got my first System Message warning me about Adware (the little popup box).

Took them about 15 minutes to find my XP on the internet.
Turn off the Messenger service. You'll never get those again. I've never had a problem with popups on my computer.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen85
Turn off the Messenger service. You'll never get those again. I've never had a problem with popups on my computer.
I was in the process of installing XP, didn't quite get to the point where I could get to services and turn it off.

I know how to harden a Windows box. Ford Technology Security Organization which has to audit each company delivering extranet capabilities to Ford, was impressed (which doesn't happen often).

I didn't care about the laptop because its purpose as of 2pm today when FedEx delivered my new laptop is to act as an unprotected web/mail/dns server to collect statistical and research data that I can use in our Intrusion Detection/Prevention systems.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 01:14 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

when I got my laptop to go to college with this summer, I hooked it up to the internet, immediately went to update windows, and got a blaster worm before I could update, it was a pisser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement