New computer problems... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Foxaholic

New computer problems...

I just built a new 3.2 mhz computer about 2 weeks ago and it has worked flawlessly until now. Suddenly now, when I try to boot up it gives one of several error messages.

1. When it is booting and the computer shows the IDE drives that are detected it shows a line below them that says "IDE Channel 1 no 80 pin condutor cable installed" It shows that line just briefly and then continues on with the boot process. I don't remember seeing that ever before after the computer was built.

2. Windows XP pro will not boot properly at all. Sometimes it says "Disk read error, Invalid disk" or something to that effect.

3. If it does boot it will take 20 minutes and the computer runs extremely slow.

I have tried switching the IDE cable for the hard drives, but it does not help. Before, the computer was lightning fast and never had a problem at all. I have not changed any configurations at all.

The hard drive is new as is the rest of the computer. I am thinking the hard drive is bad... maybe the IDE channel that the hard drives are plugged into. Or, the new hard drive is bad. It will not let me format the drive or boot from a CD. Before I could. Any ideas? Where should I start? I would like to be able to format the drive and see if maybe the hard drive has some missing files or something, but I can not figure out a way to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 11:11 AM
Lifer

ouch man, i feel your pain.

Check another Hard drive, then check another IDE cable ( i know you've done this)

It's possible one of your IDE controllers is whacked out, call the manufacturer's tech support, they may be helpful.

hope you get it running right.
adam

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Texas Rangers #1

It sounds like one of the IDE controllers on your motherboard is bad... either that or one of your drives is f'ed up. I'm leaning towards motherboard because when a hard drive gives up the ghost it usually won't boot at all. Also if you have mutliple Hard Drives, leave the one with the OS installed plugged in by itself, unplug CD's DVD's, any other IDE device and try booting that way. If it runs fine, plug them in one by one to see if you can find the culprit. Good luck.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Foxaholic

Well, I replaced the hard drive with another new one. Best Buy exchanged it for me. It got rid of some of the error messages, but now it says NTLDR missing when I try to load Windows on the new Hard drive. Sounds like a motherboard problem to me as you guys stated. I have it at a computer shop now trying to get it figured out. Might have to upgrade to a little bit better quality board for this setup.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Time Served

Missing or corrupt NTLDR means either use your emergency recovery/boot disks and restore that file or I think you can use the XP cd and fix it. Second option is to just reinstall your OS. If anyone else has suggestions post them

90 Coupe
Turbocharged 308
04 Tacoma
01 WS6 (sold)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Foxaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ocoupe
Missing or corrupt NTLDR means either use your emergency recovery/boot disks and restore that file or I think you can use the XP cd and fix it. Second option is to just reinstall your OS. If anyone else has suggestions post them
It won't let me load or boot from the XP CD. It will however, load the hard drive CD.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 12:21 PM
Time Served

what do you mean it will load the hard drive cd?

90 Coupe
Turbocharged 308
04 Tacoma
01 WS6 (sold)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Foxaholic

Problem solved. The copy of Windows XP pro that I was using was on a normal CDR. When I made the copy, it did not copy the boot sector onto the CDR. You have to use the black colored CDR's to make a copy that works. I used that copy and it loaded right up.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 11:49 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad89stang
Problem solved. The copy of Windows XP pro that I was using was on a normal CDR. When I made the copy, it did not copy the boot sector onto the CDR. You have to use the black colored CDR's to make a copy that works. I used that copy and it loaded right up.
Huh. That's odd. My normal cdr backup works just fine. Sounds like you just had a bad copy.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Foxaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Huh. That's odd. My normal cdr backup works just fine. Sounds like you just had a bad copy.
Could be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement