FireFox help... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

FireFox help...

For some reason all my bookmarks for FireFox are gone It asked me a question about a user profile and it wouldnt let me open anything up until I set one up..Now I dont have any bookmarks Anyone know what happened? I've tried looking thru all the options in Firefox but I've come up emtpy...

Thanks

Cody

97 Camaro SS
Hypertech programmer, K & N, lightweight RR's
Just another slow LT1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 10:11 PM
Time Served

oh man,hope somebody has an answer for this because same thing happened to me couple days ago and i had a bunch of interesting stuff in my bookmarks
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Check out this site....FireFox Help

I figured it out on my own..I was pissed at first..lol..

Basically, all you do is go to this folder.... C:\Documents and Settings\Windows login/user name\Application Data\Mozilla\FireFox\Profiles\Profile name.....

Then you can just copy and past the bookmarks into the Profile you are using...Make sure you have all your hidden files/folders displayed also..

Cody

97 Camaro SS
Hypertech programmer, K & N, lightweight RR's
Just another slow LT1

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 11:43 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

If you try importing an existing profile into your current profile by copying over the current profiles settings, it'll do that. Ran into that problem a few times in XP, but never really associated it with copying the profile settings until it happened in Linux too.

Normally I back up the Mozilla and Thunderbird folders under Application Data (or .mozilla and .thunderbird under my /home/ folder in Linux) whenever I'm going to wipe the drive, and then copy/paste the backup's over the new installation. Works like a charm if you do it before you use the newly installed browser/mail, but if you fire them up first, and then copy the settings over afterwards, it gets all kinds of fucked.

Both Firefox and Thunderbird check for the existence of the Mozilla and Thunderbird folders. If they don't exist, they get created. If they do exist, they get used. It's so nice being able to migrate ALL your settings, extensions, installed plugins, bookmarks, email address books, mail, junk filters, mail filters, account settings, etc in one shot. I just have to remember to copy my old settings over before starting Firefox/Thunderbird up for the first time (of course if I should forget, it's a simple matter of deleting the Mozilla and Thunderbird folders, and then copying my old settings over again, to put everything back right)

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement