Ah.... the best of both worlds... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Ah.... the best of both worlds...

Windows XP running on my laptop
Linux running on a spare Athlon 2600+ 512 MB RAM some Radeon card...

All hooked together with an Omniview...

Scroll Lock + Scroll Lock + Up Arrow

Multitasking at its finest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Windows XP running on my laptop
Linux running on a spare Athlon 2600+ 512 MB RAM some Radeon card...

All hooked together with an Omniview...

Scroll Lock + Scroll Lock + Up Arrow

Multitasking at its finest.

ditch the omniview and windows xp and you have the best of all worlds jk whatever floats your boat.. Just make sure ayour software runs on both
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
ditch the omniview and windows xp and you have the best of all worlds jk whatever floats your boat.. Just make sure ayour software runs on both
90% of the revenues come from Windows based platforms (all major auto manufacturers use it as well as 8 out of 10 of the "Fortune 10")

10% comes from Mac.

0% comes from *nix.

But, we run on all platforms. I've been with Linux seriously for about 2 years. About 50% of my time is spent in Linux, 25% in XP Pro and 25% in Windows 2003 Server.

Our file server runs Linux, our network monitoring runs on Linux (Nagios, RRDTool, Syslog NG, Cacti, Nmap, Ntop, Jetspeed), our IDS (Snort/Sguil) runs OpenBSD.

Our ticket tracking, bug system and project management all run on Linux servers.

Almost finished putting the final touches on the firewall.

Three LAMP based web servers, three .NET based web servers, one mySQL cluster and one SQL-Server cluster.

One hell of a system to manage, but all fun.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 10:13 PM
\(_o)/

Quote:
90% of the revenues come from Windows based platforms (all major auto manufacturers use it as well as 8 out of 10 of the "Fortune 10")

10% comes from Mac.

0% comes from *nix.

But, we run on all platforms. I've been with Linux seriously for about 2 years. About 50% of my time is spent in Linux, 25% in XP Pro and 25% in Windows 2003 Server.

Our file server runs Linux, our network monitoring runs on Linux (Nagios, RRDTool, Syslog NG, Cacti, Nmap, Ntop, Jetspeed), our IDS (Snort/Sguil) runs OpenBSD.

Our ticket tracking, bug system and project management all run on Linux servers.

Almost finished putting the final touches on the firewall.

Three LAMP based web servers, three .NET based web servers, one mySQL cluster and one SQL-Server cluster.

One hell of a system to manage, but all fun.
You obviously dont get the point. Linux is way more customizable as a desktop operating system, but the caveat is you have to be a fucking genius to get it to work correctly without ripping your hair out. And dont get me started on the top 10 fortune craptacular companies. Unix servers have a much smaller foot print in corporate america, just because they only need thirty or forty of them to run all the backend stuff and primarly use windows for desktops and maybe webserving doesnt meant that Unix isnt apart of their company.

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 10:16 PM
\(_o)/

Quote:
and 25% in Windows 2003 Server.
How many servers do you guys have and how many are '03? We havent had many customers at all upgrade to 2003 yet, seems 2000 is just fine.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
You obviously dont get the point. Linux is way more customizable as a desktop operating system, but the caveat is you have to be a fucking genius to get it to work correctly without ripping your hair out. And dont get me started on the top 10 fortune craptacular companies. Unix servers have a much smaller foot print in corporate america, just because they only need thirty or forty of them to run all the backend stuff and primarly use windows for desktops and maybe webserving doesnt meant that Unix isnt apart of their company.
No.. you don't get the point.

I don't care what the Fortune 100 is running in there server room. I care about the 1000s of desktops they have running. Which is Windows. (Except Ford does run IIS 5.0).

Most intranets where we do installations is IIS. We can also install the software in BEA or JBOSS on Apache, but, as of yet, we have had not one request.

But, again, we make very little selling the server. We make the money selling the client.

$2,500 server license
$200 client license

1 Server license
100 client licenses

You do the math.

Doesn't really matter much to me. It's what the client wants and that is Microsoft.

If they wanted this shit on an Apple GS and were willing to pay $200 a client license, I'd be an Apple GS client writing foo'.

We have a Linux client. I'm the only one that runs it.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 10:57 PM
\(_o)/

Quote:
Most intranets where we do installations is IIS. We can also install the software in BEA or JBOSS on Apache, but, as of yet, we have had not one request.
Well, when you want to graduate and stop installing apps for Bill and Teds' garage shop, let me know.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Well, when you want to graduate and stop installing apps for Bill and Teds' garage shop, let me know.
I love it when the little Linux geeks get all pissy.

Doesn't matter, you do your "cool" stuff.

When you want to graduate and figure out how to be a partner (you know like not an employee) of a company that makes 600K per employee let me know.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 07:58 AM

If the partners are not employees and the employees make 600K/year, how much do the partners make.....I'll install anything for that much money
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 09:01 AM
\(_o)/

Quote:

When you want to graduate and figure out how to be a partner (you know like not an employee) of a company that makes 600K per employee let me know.
Calm down, you probably dont remember me, I always make funny whimsical jokes that have no relevancy!

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 09:36 AM
M0DERAT0R

Quote:
..caveat..
lol

'08 Pontiac G8 GT
Bone Stock
13.7 @ 102 mph
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattica
If the partners are not employees and the employees make 600K/year, how much do the partners make.....I'll install anything for that much money
No, he is saying the company makes $600k per employee. The employee makes less than $100k a year I bet.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Calm down, you probably dont remember me, I always make funny whimsical jokes that have no relevancy!
Calm down, you probably don't remember me.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami
No, he is saying the company makes $600k per employee. The employee makes less than $100k a year I bet.
We overpay our employees. Haven't lost one to greener pastures. Competitive salary, 100% health/dental/vision, 15% SEP-IRA contribution. The employees are taken great care of.

Some make less than 100K a year, some make more. But any employee that came up to me and said "How do I make 150K a year?", we'll sit down and discuss goals and objectives and a plan to for them to make 150K a year.

We certainly could pay the employees less, let them take care of their own retirement and only pay 50% of the benefits package. I could probably retire in 5 years.

But, it wouldn't be as fun.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Time Served

So do you need any senior level Software Engineers (C++)?
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 07:15 PM
IA2

Quote:

Sadly, 01 is right. Our company is having to expand into the MS world with different products and offerings. Frankly, it's where the money is. Particularly support

Corporate america uses a lot of MS products. A lot.

Small business america uses a lot too.

Sure, there is *nix running also but it's in a back room, has hundreds of days of uptime, and doesn't cause any trouble. And has a small crew of crazy guys like Cruz guarding the boxen with sharpened pencils and a wild gleam in their eye

In a partnership I can guarantee you that your eye will be on profits and what can make them. A partner is payed from the profits of the company. No profits, no pay. Under that plan getting into bed with MS doesn't look so bad after all if you can make money on it.

Disclaimer - Note that the above discussion does not, in any way, touch on the technical merits of windows, microsoft, or linux
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Time Served

That thing will change. Big companies are more and more interested in running all their apps in Linux. It will not be tomorrow but it will slowly start to shift towards Linux.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:33 PM
IA2

Quote:
That thing will change. Big companies are more and more interested in running all their apps in Linux. It will not be tomorrow but it will slowly start to shift towards Linux.
There is an interesting thread over on /. talking about new "kernel level" viruses (which really aren't new to the *nix community) for windows.

Speculation is that sooner or later windows is going to become so risky to run because of the security holes that businesses will be forced to begin to look toward alternatives. Whether Billy G and crue can patch fast enough to stall this off remains to be seen.

http://it.slashdot.org/it/05/02/18/1...id=201&tid=218
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb
There is an interesting thread over on /. talking about new "kernel level" viruses (which really aren't new to the *nix community) for windows.

Speculation is that sooner or later windows is going to become so risky to run because of the security holes that businesses will be forced to begin to look toward alternatives. Whether Billy G and crue can patch fast enough to stall this off remains to be seen.

http://it.slashdot.org/it/05/02/18/1...id=201&tid=218

all installed via a web page at that.. pretty good stuff.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 11:10 PM
\(_o)/

Quote:
Unfortunatly they are all intrested in bloat err redhat. Companies switching to redhat anytime soon is about as good of a chance for solaris/weblogic/oracle shops going windows 2003/mssql.

post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Unfortunatly they are all intrested in bloat err redhat. Companies switching to redhat anytime soon is about as good of a chance for solaris/weblogic/oracle shops going windows 2003/mssql.
As long as it is running on Linux kernel...

I have no problems with Fedora and even with Redhat can't you tailor it the way you want it?
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 09:59 AM
\(_o)/

Quote:
I have no problems with Fedora and even with Redhat can't you tailor it the way you want it?
The problem isnt tailoring, its benchmarks, security, and other standard tests that get ran on default installs of redhat enterprise that pushes these companies away. Most dont want to convert anyway because its so freaking expensive and they arent to concerned with the savings in expandability they will earn back in 5 - 10 year frame vs how much it costs right now.

post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Lifer

Help, I hate windows.

I R Not smarte enough fer the linux, what should i do?

p.s. cruz, your avatar is funny as hell.

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 06:35 PM
\(_o)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBadWagon
Help, I hate windows.
I R Not smarte enough fer the linux, what should i do?
Macintosh

post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Time Served

Quote:
The problem isnt tailoring, its benchmarks, security, and other standard tests that get ran on default installs of redhat enterprise that pushes these companies away.
What kind of companies would install default packages? We actually have our own Linux distro at work, I'm sure there are other large companies with their own too. Sure small companies have limited staff but that's a different story.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Sure small companies have limited staff but that's a different story.
And that is where the money is.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 10:45 PM
\(_o)/

Quote:
What kind of companies would install default packages? We actually have our own Linux distro at work, I'm sure there are other large companies with their own too. Sure small companies have limited staff but that's a different story.
I'm not an idiot, I know this. I was simply stating 9 out of the 10 benchmarks or reviews you see are with default installs. Regardless, I'm talking about LARGE companies here, I'm not talking about small businesses anymore, just ones that make $50 million plus a year. Would you convert an app that cost you $500k or even more to run on a linux server only to yield cost decreases after 5 years of use because the cost to convert was so epensive? Its just not economical right now. Even at work, I would say 90% of our clients are windows shops, I'm lucky and get to work with all the unix and linux clients, I can see alot of this stuff from an overhead view and can understand why alot of companies have not converted or really have no plans for it right now. I will say I do see a lot more mixed enviroments coming out, a lot of people are testing the waters, just not on a large scale.

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 08:09 AM
Time Served

I think you misunderstood me, I wasn't saying the change will be fast. Converting existing apps, no. Deciding to develop next apps in different environment, yes. It's not going to happen overnight.

Anyway, pointless for us to speculate. Only time can tell what happens.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 11:13 AM
\(_o)/

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me
I'm usually on the defensive here when it comes to linux, ironic that I argued with a fellow enthusiast

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 02:37 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Some make less than 100K a year, some make more. But any employee that came up to me and said "How do I make 150K a year?", we'll sit down and discuss goals and objectives and a plan to for them to make 150K a year.
I want to work for you... can we discuss goals and objectives, and possibly a plan that will get me there? Thanks.

post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
I want to work for you... can we discuss goals and objectives, and possibly a plan that will get me there? Thanks.
That's how it works!

What are your specialties?
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
That's how it works!

What are your specialties?
IT.

Windows XP, Server 2003, Exchange 2003

Dell certified.

I'm basically a glorified computer tech. I work for a great company here in Fort Worth (Forune's Top 100 Companies to Work for 7 years in a row) but our IT departement has been run badly for a long time. Just this year we are trying to transition to ITIL organization, but it's not going all that well so far... very painful. It wouldn't be so bad but moving up in IT here is very difficult to do. Goals and objectives are vague or impossible to meet. Management is distant and unsupportive unless someone up above complains about something then they makes us work long hours and bring in lunch so we don't leave our desks. If you ask management what it takes to get promoted or moved up they tell you "you have to be at the right place, at the right time". Basically it's just getting old... I want to know where my goals need to be, where I should be focusing my efforts so I can move up in the organization.

Anyways, it's refreshing to see that there are companies and managers who are willing to help their employees, give them focus and opportunities. The sad part is that the majority of the company I work for is run very well and very efficently, it's just that the IT side has been a mess and quite honestly and embaressment for a long time.

Whew... I needed to get THAT off my chest!

post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 06:06 PM
Lifer

LOL @ macintosh!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement