Recruiting volunteers for the Computer/Gaming Center FAQ - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Recruiting volunteers for the Computer/Gaming Center FAQ

This is a basic outline I wrote up a while back for the original FAQ that's now been lost to the ether. Look it over, make suggestions for additions/alterations, and if anyone wants to help write the sections, post up or PM me and I'll get your name added to the section(s) you want to contribute to.

Please don't write guides to this post, this is just a preliminary. If you want to write for a section, post your interest, or PM me, and then start writing it up (in whatever text editor you prefer). When you're finished with your section, send it to me, either PM or email. Once I get enough content up for a working general faq, I'll make a new post and get with Abecx to get it stickied.

Quote:
A F.A.Q. for ALL Computer users
-------------------------------

Read it.

Live it.

Table of Contents
-----------------
1) Basic Maintenance and Troubleshooting
1a) Update, Update, Update!
1b) Adware, Spyware, Pop-Ups, Oh My!
1c) Viruses and Trojans
1d) Tidying Things Up

2) Get Off The Beaten Path
2a) Getting Around The Internet ... Safely (Alternative Browsers, Mail, & News Readers)
2b) Microsoft Office = Bad! (Alternatives, Free And/Or Not Free)
2c) Audio & Video (Other Media Players)

3) Basic Maintenance and Troubleshooting Not Working?
3a) Push The Rewind Button (System Restore, Or Other OS's Similar Functions)
3b) Are You Sure It's Software? (Troubleshooting Hardware)
3c) When You Can Cook Eggs On Your Case ... That's Bad. (Cooling The System Down)
3d) She's Gone From Suck To Blow! (Getting The Dust Out)

4) Format C: ... A.K.A. The Sacrificial Rite
4a) When All Else Fails ...

5) Stop The Train, I Want To Get Off!
[trey85stang] 5a) You mean there's more than Windows in the computer world? (*nix, Mac OS, *BSD, Etc. Pro's & Con's And/Or Side By Side Comparisons)

6) More F.A.Q.'s Please
6a) How Do I Rip My CD's to MP3?
[MoonDog] 6b) How Do I Backup My Movie Collection?
[Sami] 6c) How Do I Secure My Wireless Connection?

7) Mobilize The Troops
7a) Cellphones And Way Too Many Things You Can Do With Them
7b) PDA's And ... Way, Way Too Many Things You Can Do With Them
There's no problem with more than one person contributing to the same section(s). When you send me your write-up, I'll go through them and remove any redundant information, and piece together the remaining guides for inclusion.

Again, this is just a preliminary. No guides here, send them to me. Feel free to suggest more content. Hopefully once this is up, it'll help curb some of the questions's we've already answered a million times (and usually the same question by two or more people, making totally new threads ... on the same page).

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design

Last edited by DarkWolf; 02-16-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:07 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Yeah, like posted, I am already working on a backing up DVD to DVD and will soon get started on backing up DVD to Divx. And I may even do one for Divx to DVD.

I even have some input for the mobile phone/PDA section.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:56 PM
El Camino

I'll be glad to contribute however I can.

I've got 7 years as a network/server admin and touched most of the ms products.

I've also used most of the unix/linux variants at some point.

I'll see if I can think of anything or come up with some useful links.

I can probably come up with some ideas on wireless security or some best practice ideas for home users.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 11:26 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Doesn't seem that very many people are interested in helping out here Jay. No biggie, it just wont get put together.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Buncha lazy bastages is all I think it'll come together ... just not going as well as I'd hoped. Maybe people just aren't tired enough of answering the same questions over and over agian.

DarkWolf
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 08:32 PM

Ill volunteer, maybe a linux newbie section.. or testing the waters... or I can give you an article on backing up DVD's on OSX
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 08:36 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Microsoft Office ain't bad.

Hell it is one of the only reason I stay with Windows these days.

And yes, I have OpenOffice installed, doesn't touch Office yet.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Time Served

I can take 6c, at least for starters.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Microsoft Office ain't bad.

Hell it is one of the only reason I stay with Windows these days.

And yes, I have OpenOffice installed, doesn't touch Office yet.

Sadly, I agree however, OpenOFfice 2.0 is due out next month.. 'supposed' to lots of enhancements/update stuff... Lets see
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

By MS Office being bad, I mean that it's like IE and yet another open door in the long list of security failures in Windows.

I do agree that OpenOffice isn't quite there yet (kinda like The GIMP isn't quite a Photoshop killer yet) ... but it's damned close and would be perfect for anyone who doesn't need MS Office compatibility for everything they do, but being able to save to the occasional Word or Excel when needed comes in handy.

DarkWolf
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 01:57 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Here is a guide for copying a DVD to a DVD-R. Let me know if I missed something.

http://moondog.servehttp.com/dvd

Disclaimer:

Last edited by MoonDog; 03-12-2005 at 08:40 AM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
Here is a guide for copying a DVD to a DVD-R. Let me know if I missed something.
Splitting the movie to 2 discs.

Most of the time you only need DVD Shrink so maybe re-formatting the page so that the DVD Decrypter part is optional (another link at the top part of page)?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 04:48 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami
Splitting the movie to 2 discs.

Most of the time you only need DVD Shrink so maybe re-formatting the page so that the DVD Decrypter part is optional (another link at the top part of page)?
I am using DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD because I personally I have gotten better results and a more compatible DVD in doing so instead of ripping directly from DVD Shrink.

I did not show the option for slitting the movie onto 2 discs because most of the time the quality is usually from 80%-100% already. If there are enough people who would like to know how it is done then I would be more than happy to include it.

This is my prefered method. Anyone is free to add their own if they want.

Disclaimer:
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I've got an annoying problem with DVD Shrink 3.2, in that it doesn't creat iso's anymore. 3.17, which I went back to, works fine. But 3.2, when I tell it to make an iso image on the hard drive, will make about 6 files, that look like they might be an iso that's been split into 6 parts, the extension's are is0 - is5 (or is6, not real sure how many exactly it makes).

Been all through the settings, and couldn't find anything that indicated splitting the iso into smaller files. Finally just gave up and downgraded to a copy of 3.17 that I found on my network, and it has no problems creating an iso.

I get on kicks where I weed out dead weight in my dvd collection, so I use dvd shrink to back them up, 10 - 15 at a time, and just store the iso's on my computer until I get around to burning them. That doesn't appear to be an option with 3.2, and taking the extra time to burn at 2.4x (even though it's an 8x burner with 8x media) isn't very appealing.

DarkWolf
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 12:20 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Thats odd Jay. I am not sure what to tell you about that. I have never seen it. In fact, I just now created an iso of Man on Fire with Shrink 3.2 and had no problems.

Disclaimer:
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yeah, I figured it was supposed to work like it used to. No idea why it's doing that :-/

I think I may reformat again, I'm anxious to try out nLite... maybe I'll give 3.2 another shot after that to see if it still does the same thing (though I don't know why it wouldn't, I never altered any settings originally :-/ )

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement