Gentoo up and running ... few quirks. Linux gurus ... inside please :) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Gentoo up and running ... few quirks. Linux gurus ... inside please :)

1: Sound. Not getting any. I've got snd-emu10k1 loaded in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6, and on bootup it does show the module loading [ OK ] ... but when I get in x, the volume control has a slash through it, and the pop-up/tooltip says "No audio device"

Any ideas?

Edit: It was auto-configured under Fedora Core, like the mouse, and worked just fine.

2: Mouse. It works, and the wheel-button works. But the wheel itself doesn't work. What do I need to config, to get that wheel working. When I set up Fedora Core, it was working, so I know it can be done... just clueless on how

3: Mounting the samba shares. To get my 2nd drive mounted as read/write, I had to set the umask=000 flag in fstab. Should I put the same flag in the rc.local file (which doesn't exist on this system, so I guess I'm going to have to create it) for the samba shares... or is there another way to make them read/write to everyone?

4: Haven't gotten into enlightenment yet, but about to start downloading it. However, to start gnome, I have to run gdm... but only root can run gdm. I tried putting gnome in my .xinitrc, and ran startx as a user, and it exited X saying it couldn't find "gnome". However, if I put xfce in .xinitrc, run startx, x starts up just fine, and goes into xfce (albiet xfce 3.8, even though I updated to 4.2 ... and xfce4 errors in the same way that gnome did, when set in .xinitrc). How can I get gnome to start when doing startx as a user?

Which brings me to my actual question... what do I need to load in .xinitrc, once e's installed, to have it run e when I do startx?

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
1: Sound. Not getting any. I've got snd-emu10k1 loaded in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6, and on bootup it does show the module loading [ OK ] ... but when I get in x, the volume control has a slash through it, and the pop-up/tooltip says "No audio device"

Any ideas?
what is the output of lsmod, did you configure the kernel yourself or use a premade kernel?

Edit: It was auto-configured under Fedora Core, like the mouse, and worked just fine.
Quote:
2: Mouse. It works, and the wheel-button works. But the wheel itself doesn't work. What do I need to config, to get that wheel working. When I set up Fedora Core, it was working, so I know it can be done... just clueless on how
vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf

under device mouse section,

add

Option 'ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

and change

Driver 'PS/2"

to

Driver "IMPS2"

Quote:
3: Mounting the samba shares. To get my 2nd drive mounted as read/write, I had to set the umask=000 flag in fstab. Should I put the same flag in the rc.local file (which doesn't exist on this system, so I guess I'm going to have to create it) for the samba shares... or is there another way to make them read/write to everyone?
Not too sure how startup scripts run in gentoo... I am also not sure how to make the disks writable by all.

Quote:
4: Haven't gotten into enlightenment yet, but about to start downloading it. However, to start gnome, I have to run gdm... but only root can run gdm. I tried putting gnome in my .xinitrc, and ran startx as a user, and it exited X saying it couldn't find "gnome". However, if I put xfce in .xinitrc, run startx, x starts up just fine, and goes into xfce (albiet xfce 3.8, even though I updated to 4.2 ... and xfce4 errors in the same way that gnome did, when set in .xinitrc). How can I get gnome to start when doing startx as a user?
Have your tried booting into init 5 (or it might be 4) that will automatically start the window manager much like was done in FC3 by default.

Quote:
Which brings me to my actual question... what do I need to load in .xinitrc, once e's installed, to have it run e when I do startx?
IF you went the above route you wouldnt need to worry about this...

but if I remember correctly you would need to put in...

exec /usr/bin/enlightenment (or wherever the enlightenment executable was stored) and If memory is correct iyou would put it in the .xsession file though. I could be wrong
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 07:48 AM

linux people amaze me.
<--- impressed

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
what is the output of lsmod, did you configure the kernel yourself or use a premade kernel?
vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf

under device mouse section,

add

Option 'ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

and change

Driver 'PS/2"

to

Driver "IMPS2"

Not too sure how startup scripts run in gentoo... I am also not sure how to make the disks writable by all.

Have your tried booting into init 5 (or it might be 4) that will automatically start the window manager much like was done in FC3 by default.

IF you went the above route you wouldnt need to worry about this...

but if I remember correctly you would need to put in...

exec /usr/bin/enlightenment (or wherever the enlightenment executable was stored) and If memory is correct iyou would put it in the .xsession file though. I could be wrong

Quote:
$ lsmod
Module Size Used by
8139cp 17024 0
radeonfb 50088 0
i2c_algo_bit 9352 1 radeonfb
i2c_core 19584 2 radeonfb,i2c_algo_bit
ata_piix 7684 0
libata 37764 1 ata_piix
usblp 11904 0
uhci_hcd 29328 0
intel_mch_agp 8848 1
agpgart 28204 1 intel_mch_agp
vfat 12928 1
fat 39968 1 vfat
snd_emu10k1 91144 0
snd_rawmidi 20644 1 snd_emu10k1
snd_pcm 83332 1 snd_emu10k1
snd_timer 21636 1 snd_pcm
snd_seq_device 7432 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi
snd_ac97_codec 67920 1 snd_emu10k1
snd_page_alloc 8456 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
snd_util_mem 4352 1 snd_emu10k1
snd_hwdep 8196 1 snd_emu10k1
snd 46052 7 snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_seq_ device,snd_ac97_codec,snd_hwdep
8139too 21504 0
mii 4992 2 8139cp,8139too
sbp2 22024 0
ohci1394 30980 0
ieee1394 94132 2 sbp2,ohci1394
ohci_hcd 19076 0
usb_storage 38048 0
usbhid 30144 0
ehci_hcd 26628 0
usbcore 100324 8 usblp,uhci_hcd,ohci_hcd,usb_storage,usbhid,ehci_hc d
I used the stage 3 build for Gentoo, not sure I'm ready to do my own kernel configs. However, I did go edit a few options in the kernel, such as adding ALSA support (though I goofed and made it built in, instead of a module), and making sure there was support added for my wacom tablet.

And I found the fix for the mouse not too long after posting this, but it was like 3am and I needed to get some sleep, so I didn't restart x to test it. Works like a charm now. I do have 2 more buttons on the side, that in XP function as a Back and Forward button, when in a browser.

Would I just have to add: Option "Buttons" "7", to get those to work? Or alternatively, with 7 buttons, "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"?

I'd thought about changing the runlevel to 5, but I like it booting into the cli first. I remember with fc3, there was a few things I'd try to install (like the video drivers), and they couldn't with X running... and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to stop X and get back to a prompt, once it's up and going :-/ So I figure I'll leave it at 3, at least until I can figure out how to exit X and get back to a prompt when needed

And I got e16 downloaded, and will be checking it out tonight after I get back from work. I was downloading some modules for e17, may want to test it out some too if I feel up to it. Emotion kept failing during an emerge, due to it's dependancy on xine-lib not finishing a compile. Gonna check and get a source for that, and try and compile it manually, then try to emerge emotion again.

And here's the output of lspci ... any other modules I should be loading, based on the hardware?
Quote:
# lspci
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82865G/PE/P PCI to AGP Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
000000.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AR [Radeon 9600]
000000.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AR [Radeon 9600] (Secondary)
000001.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
000002.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
000006.0 Communication controller: U.S. Robotics: Unknown device 2f00 (rev 01)
000007.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 04)
000007.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port (rev 01)

DarkWolf
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Would I just have to add: Option "Buttons" "7", to get those to work? Or alternatively, with 7 buttons, "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"?

werd!

as for alsa, you might want to try emerge alsa-driver... Im not sure how gentoo works too well, but I would start be reinstalling alsa to see about getting your seound werking..

if you did however add alsa into the kernel statically, you probably want to tackle your first kernel recompile and remove it.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
werd!

as for alsa, you might want to try emerge alsa-driver... Im not sure how gentoo works too well, but I would start be reinstalling alsa to see about getting your seound werking..

if you did however add alsa into the kernel statically, you probably want to tackle your first kernel recompile and remove it.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Tried to emerge alsa-driver and it failed saying it was built into the kernel.

If I do make menuconfig, will it still have all the options selected, or will it switch back to a default config that I'll have to try and guess?

DarkWolf
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Tried to emerge alsa-driver and it failed saying it was built into the kernel.

If I do make menuconfig, will it still have all the options selected, or will it switch back to a default config that I'll have to try and guess?
You can do menuconfig and have the same options already selected... I perfer cleaning the src first.. i have run into problems at times by not doing so...

Here is what I generally do,

cd /usr/src/kernel
cp .config ../ #backs up your current config
make mrproper #this basically cleans all the kernel config settings and resets all files
cp ../.config . # moves your config file back
make xconfig #GUI for configuing the kernel
make bzImage #makes the kernel image
make modules #creates modules
make modules_install #installs the modules to the /lib directory
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.6.xx #copies kernel image to the boot directory
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.xx #copies the system map file
cd /boot
mkinitrd -c -k 2.6.xx -m filesystem# creates initial ram-disk, or you can statically put your file system into the kernel and skip this step.
obviously you will need to update lilo and run lilo... it should be about as simple as copying what is already listed and adding the above file names that you made.

first kernel is tough... but after 3-4 times its like riding a bike.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

When you say: mkinitrd -c -k 2.6.xx -m filesystem ... is it supposed to be filesystem, or am I supposed to enter the filesystem being used? And in that case, should I use my /boot fs, or my /root fs? /boot is ext2, /root is reiserfs

DarkWolf
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Well.. something broke, and it won't go into X now. Just a black screen. Otherwise, the cli works fine.

I think I might have found the solution... switching back to check.

DarkWolf
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yeah, I broke something.

The "fix" I thought I found, was after installing udev, might need to change the mouse from /dev/input/mice to /dev/psaux ... didn't help.

So I compiled the kernel, and unloaded some modules that I know I don't need (such as all the extra network card modules), as well as making sure ALSA was set as a module, rather than built in.

At first I thought it was the "exec /usr/bin/enlightenment" I put in .xinitrc (which overrides .xsession if it's present), so I tried my old way of just doing gdm while logged as root. Still no go. :-/

I'm going to go rebuild X, maybe that'll sync whatever's fucked up.

Beyond that, any other suggestions?

DarkWolf
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

... oh my god. It's like I'm back in the day's of DOS, logging onto a BBS through Telix. Man this is ass, having to use a text based browser (Lynx) ... but thank god it's available. X compile's taking a while :-/ A text-mode gaim type client would be sweet

Wow this brings back some memories

DarkWolf
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Alright, back in X, and got enlightenment rolling.

Buttons 7 enabled those buttons... but ZAxisMapping 6 7 ... is bad The scroll wheel is now forward/backward, and the two extra buttons, one is middle click (brings up the scroll icon), and the other is right click :-/

DarkWolf
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Buttons 7, ZAxisMapping 4 5, scroll wheel works, and the two side buttons act as the scroll icon, and right click aliased buttons. Bleh.

And I think I'll wait for e17's official release (ie: not cvs only). e16's nice, but reminded me too much of LiteStep... or maybe LightStep reminds me too much of e16... I dunno. e17 looks like a nice blend between e16, and a desktop environment like Gnome (ie: a taskbar that I can load stuff into, without having to always use the menu). I could probably go for that.

GAH! wtf!? Just tried to emerge alsa-drivers, and I get

Quote:
!!! ERROR: media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.8 failed.
!!! Function check_extra_config, Line 439, Exitcode 0
!!! Incorrect kernel configuration options
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.
meaning it's STILL seeing it as being loaded in the kernel I have it loaded as a module, in the kernel... rather than built in. Should I just remove it completely from kernel support? Or will that make it so that I can't install it still?

DarkWolf
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:

GAH! wtf!? Just tried to emerge alsa-drivers, and I get

meaning it's STILL seeing it as being loaded in the kernel I have it loaded as a module, in the kernel... rather than built in. Should I just remove it completely from kernel support? Or will that make it so that I can't install it still?

The joys of linux.. did you follow the steps I posted for compiling? and are you sure you are booting to the correct kernel?

post this,

ls /boot

cat /etc/lilo.conf
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Ok... this is really strange. I'm using grub as the bootloader ... but my /boot/grub/grub.conf file consists of:

Quote:
# cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
default 0
timeout 10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/spash.xpm.gz
However, when I restart the system, the loader screen has my original confiuration, which was(is?):

Quote:

default 0
timeout 10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux (2.6.9-gentoo-r1)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /kernel-2.6.9-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda4
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-gentoo-r1

title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
And after I'd compiled, I went to edit the grub.conf, and it was blank, so I started re-adding those lines... got to the splash image, and exited out, wondering why it was a blank file. When I went to edit it again, it was loaded up with my original config... so I just assumed I'd misspelt something the first time around.

locate grub.conf isn't even listing /boot/grub/grub.conf, only
/usr/share/doc/grub-0.95.20040823/grub.conf.sample.gz
/usr/portage/sys-boot/grub/files/grub-0.94-grub.conf.patch

... nevermind. /dev/hda2 wasn't mounted to /boot. I guess it unmounts after it's finished loading. And that would probably be why the recompiled kernel isn't showing up, because bzImage never got copied to the right place :-/

DarkWolf
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

alrighty ... trying it one more time

DarkWolf
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Alright, the new problem says the kernel needs pnp support, when trying to compile alsa-driver. There's a listing for Plug and Play Support in the kernel config menu, but no options to check to enable it. So I did make xconfig in the 2.6.10 source that I downloaded a while back, but never tried to compile it, and there's a checkbox to enable pnp. So looks like I'll be updating my kernel at the same time

DarkWolf
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 05:07 PM

I dont know anything about grub... i have never used it. So I will not be able to help you there, all the 2.6 kernels should have an option for pnp supprt.. not sure why it was not there for you?

if you want, give me ssh access and I will get you a good .config file.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 05:09 PM

This thread makes my head hurt.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

not sure how to give you ssh access. But the 2.6.10 kernel is almost finished compiling. Again.

I'm doing it using genkernel, which is an automated script for compiling the kernel, but it also allows for customizing the options with the --menuconfig switch (which I did).

I went this route, becase when I got to the mkinitrd line, in your instructions, I typed it in (replacing the xx with 10) exactly like you had, and it spit out the options, as if I'd just done mkinitrd --help. Also tried it with replacing xx with 10-gentoo-r6.

It gives an example at the end: (ex: mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.2.5-15.img 2.2.5-15) ... I've got nothing with a .img... is that the System.map I copied over, or the bzImage? I assume something along the lines of: mkinitrd /boot/ initrd-2.6.10-gentoo-r6 (to follow the naming convention) is what I would need to do?

DarkWolf
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Well that didn't work. Got Error 15 when I rebooted. Only change to grub.conf was adding a line to differentiate between the 2.6.9 and 2.6.10 configs... basically just copied my 2.6.9 line, and changed the names where needed. It's not even loading the grub menu though, just error's out immediately, and locks up. Normally it'd drop to a grub> prompt, and I could try manually entering the commands :-/

Booting off the install disc now, to see if it might be salvagable.

DarkWolf
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Ok... back up with 2.6.10 ... new problem. Still trying to emerge alsa-driver, and in doing so, it tries to determine the kernel source directory... which it's finding the 2.6.9 source directory, instead of the 2.6.10 ... so it's still erroring out saying I need to enable pnp.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

So it searches for /usr/src/linux which is a symlink ... so I changed it to link to the 2.6.10 source directory.

And it's back to saying it's compiled in the kernel!

DarkWolf
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Timmay

Damn, makes me wonder why I don't use linux. Seems so easy!
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

It is, when you use one of the newbie distributions like Red Hat/Fedora Core and Mandrake. All this shit is set up for you automatically.

I'm a total newbie, and I'm trying to use one of the distributions that's really not for newbies ... but I want to learn how to do all this stuff, rather than just have it automatically configured.

Anyway, carrying on, I gave up on trying to emerge the alsa-drivers, and just manually compiled them. Everything seems to be ok... but my volume control still has a slash through it, and "No audio device".

Quote:
# lsmod
Module Size Used by
usblp 11264 0
parport_pc 29892 0
parport 32456 1 parport_pc
emu10k1_gp 3072 0
gameport 3968 1 emu10k1_gp
8139cp 16896 0
radeonfb 51496 0
i2c_algo_bit 8840 1 radeonfb
i2c_core 18304 2 radeonfb,i2c_algo_bit
ata_piix 7300 0
libata 40068 1 ata_piix
intel_mch_agp 8464 1
agpgart 28460 1 intel_mch_agp
vfat 11904 1
fat 36640 1 vfat
snd_emu10k1 96004 0
snd_rawmidi 20512 1 snd_emu10k1
snd_seq_device 7436 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi
snd_ac97_codec 74872 1 snd_emu10k1
snd_pcm 83972 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer 21636 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc 7940 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
snd_util_mem 3712 1 snd_emu10k1
snd_hwdep 7712 1 snd_emu10k1
snd 47460 7 snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_ac97_co dec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep
8139too 21248 0
mii 4352 2 8139cp,8139too
dm_mod 54272 0
sbp2 21128 0
ohci1394 30980 0
ieee1394 93364 2 sbp2,ohci1394
ohci_hcd 19848 0
uhci_hcd 30736 0
usb_storage 39072 0
usbhid 30528 0
ehci_hcd 28164 0
usbcore 104952 7 usblp,ohci_hcd,uhci_hcd,usb_storage,usbhid,ehci_hc d
Running alsamixer from the command line brings up the mixer... just don't have a way to test it to see if it's working, regardless of the volume control.

DarkWolf
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

SUCCESS! I've been looking everywhere BUT Gentoo's documentation... and nothing else mentioned running amixer ... and subsequently

# amixer set Master 100% unmute
# amixer set PCM 100% unmute

The driver's have been loading all this time... but the levels have been muted. When I ran alsamixer, I'd turned the volume up, but the channel was still muted.

Good lord.

Now time to tackle the video card... try and get 3d acceleration going.

DarkWolf
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I think I got 3d acceleration up and going too Used to get around 300fps with glxgears, but now getting 2000+. Updated to X.Org 6.8.1, and the ati proprietary drivers, version 8.8.25.

Also figured out how to be able to use startx, and have it run Gnome. In .xinitrc, I changed exec /usr/bin/enlightenment to /usr/bin/gnome-session

So now I can finally get into X with the Gnome de, without having to log in as root, to use gdm

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement