Certification question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
My Boy!

Certification question

I was thinking about getting some certs. I'm unemployed right now and looking, and I was in IT as a tech then a net admin and I have over 10 years experience however the last 2 years I've been out of it. I was in between jobs and found a hookup as an electrician when I needed the money so I went with it and now I've been away from It for 2 years. Well, prospective employers seem to find a problem with this thinking that I am a little "rusty" at the IT stuff now. So I figured I'd go get me a new cert of some sort to show that I am up to date, and to help brush up on stuff I may have actually lost.
My question is this: What would be a better path to follow first? Cisco CCNA or Microsoft MCSA. Both are not the top end I know, but the thing is to get me a cert soon so I can use that to help get a job in IT agian. I can finish the rest of it after. I'b leaning toward CISCO right now because it can be done with only one or 2 tests passed and looks to be quicker. But I figure the MS will be more widely accepted yet it will take longer as I'd have to pass 4 tests!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Todd

My Resurrected Turbo Mustang website: http://turbostangtodd.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:25 AM
El Camino

Depends on what you want to do and can find more leads I would think. I've been in IT for 7 years and been laid off 3 times but always found other work. I had no certs till I got my CISSP last year.

Now I get calls/emails weekly and have turned down stuff making 60k.

CISSP is one exam that costs $500.

It is well worth it if you can pass it and just do your own self study. When I changed jobs a few months after getting it I got an increase of over $10k.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement