Fedora Core 2 and Mozilla fix... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Fedora Core 2 and Mozilla fix...

I've been pissed off because firefox and mozilla both run like shit on my fc box. Here is why:

DNS lookups under Fedora Core 2

If you use Mozilla under Fedora Core 2, then this'll interest you.

Users of Mozilla on Fedora Core 2 may experience unusually long delays in resolving hostnames. This results from the fact that IPv6 is enabled by default in Fedora Core 2. If you do not need IPv6 support (which is most likely the case), then it is advised that you disable it in the kernel. To do this run the following command as root:

echo "alias net-pf-10 off" >> /etc/modprobe.conf

You will need to reboot to have this take effect (or simply unload the ipv6 kernel module).

See bug 239358 for details.

NOTE: Disabling IPv6 via the Mozilla preference "network.dns.disableIPv6" is not sufficient. The problem is caused by a change in the behavior of getaddrinfo under Fedora Core 2. When asked to provide the canonical hostname, getaddrinfo performs a reverse lookup on all returned IP addresses. The result is 10 DNS queries for www.yahoo.com instead of just 1. When IPv6 is disabled in the operating system, Mozilla falls back to using good old gethostbyname, and the problem goes away.

WinXP and older versions of GLIBC (such as those used by FC1 and RH9) do not exhibit this behavior.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Holy crap. I just did it, MASSIVE increase in page loading speeds.

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 08:09 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
Holy crap. I just did it, MASSIVE increase in page loading speeds.

Good deal, Think this will help speed up slackware 10?

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
Good deal, Think this will help speed up slackware 10?
Doubtful, do you have ipv6 turned on? lsmod |grep ipv6

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 12:48 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Hoping within the next 2 weeks to be switched over. Getting a 200gig drive in sometime this week, and going to use that to back my 160gig data drive up with so I don't have to burn an assload of dvd's.

Fedora Core pretty good? The last time I used Linux was Red Hat 4 Fedora was another one of the ones I was thinking about installing.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

FC3 is supposed to be pretty sweet. I'm pretty impressed with FC2, but that browsing issue has been plauging me for months, I dont use the puter much at home anymore and I finally got around to fixing it ( I was going to install a dns cacher ). Its really left a bad test in my mouth, all over installing something that practically no one uses.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 10:10 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I went ahead and downloaded FC3, and I think what I'm going to do is dual-boot until I make sure everything's working (rather than using Knoppix and not being able to safely write to any of my drives as they're all NTFS currently), and then reinstall with linux only (either FC3 again, or some other flavor).

Only problem I have is I don't have a floppy on this machine, and need to know if there's a way I can make a bootable cd to use as my boot disc? Or will grub/lilo be able to load on the current NTFS partition I've got set as my C drive?

DarkWolf
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

You'll need to use grub as your boot loader, have it write to the mbr and when it boots, you can select between which os you wish to boot. You can even have it default to windows.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
I went ahead and downloaded FC3, and I think what I'm going to do is dual-boot until I make sure everything's working (rather than using Knoppix and not being able to safely write to any of my drives as they're all NTFS currently), and then reinstall with linux only (either FC3 again, or some other flavor).

Only problem I have is I don't have a floppy on this machine, and need to know if there's a way I can make a bootable cd to use as my boot disc? Or will grub/lilo be able to load on the current NTFS partition I've got set as my C drive?
FYI, if you install FC3 install ALL the updates to start off with... there are quite a few small bugs until you update.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 01:14 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Word, sounds good. Now if the drives would just get here... FedEx taking their sweet time

DarkWolf
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 01:17 PM
El Camino

I like FC3 so far. I put it on a spare laptop here at the office. Its running on a 700mhz 192mb of ram old Micron laptop ok.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 12:31 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Fuck Microsoft

I got this 200gig in, and went to format it to fat32 so I can read/write to it with Linux as well... and I find out that Microsoft intentionally limited XP's fat32 formatting capability to 32gig.

I guess I need to find an old floopy drive so I can boot to my 98 boot disk, just to be able to format this thing as fat32.

Cocksuckers!

I can't wait to get everything set up on Linux and working properly, so I can finally be rid of Windows.

Permanently.

"In theory, FAT32 volumes can be about 8 terabytes; however, the maximum FAT32 volume size that Windows XP Professional can format is 32 GB. Therefore, you must use NTFS to format volumes larger than 32 GB. However, Windows XP Professional can read and write to larger FAT32 volumes formatted by other operating systems."

Fuck the son's of bitches. "We know people only want to format to fat32 so they can dual-boot with other operating systems. So we're going to make it as much of a pain in the ass as we possibly can for them to do so."

DarkWolf
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 02:20 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

It appears that running format.com from a command line ... might actually work.

I've since the last message, tried a boot disk, to no avail due to my old floppy drive being dead. I then made a bootable cd-rw, which appeared that it would work... but fdisk only recognized the drive at 64 gigs. Then I found there's a new version of fdisk, but that will only recognize up to 137 gigs. I thought about formatting as vfat with the FC3 installation, but didn't want to commit to doing a full installation just yet (as I want to use this drive to back up my current D drive, and use my D drive as my linux installation). I tried the Max Blast 3 software ... but even that wanted to format as NTFS only.

On a whim I decided to try the old format.com... I thought for sure it would laugh at me and say "FOOL! I AM PART OF XP! THERE WILL BE ON FAT32 FOR YOU!" ... but it's currently chugging along, and at about 15%.

C:\>format [drive] /fs:[fat, fat32, ntfs] ... for anyone who might be interested and need to format more than 32gig partitions as fat32 under Windows 2000/XP.

DarkWolf
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 03:18 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Fucking hell!

100% and then says the volume's too big for fat32.

DarkWolf
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Time Served

Didn't the drive come with a CD with utilities to format it? Check the manufacturers website. If nothing else, do it in Linux.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 01:22 PM

that all sucks... however.. there is a driver so that you can view (read/write) rieserfs from windows. I have never used it so I dont know how stable it is.... just a thought.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 03:33 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yeah, the drive comes with the Max Blast 3 software to format it. But it was still trying to force me to do NTFS.

However, I got it set up as FAT32 using an old program I found from about 6 years ago called oformat. Works just like regular format.com but allows you to do a /q for a quick format... and apparently it is just peachy formatting 200gigs when format.com got to 100% and said "Fuck you!"

So anyway, got FC3 setup, and am currently getting the updates Using this at 800x600 is killing me though. I don't wanna restart X until after the updates are complete, to get it to 1600x1200.

DarkWolf
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the drive comes with the Max Blast 3 software to format it. But it was still trying to force me to do NTFS.

However, I got it set up as FAT32 using an old program I found from about 6 years ago called oformat. Works just like regular format.com but allows you to do a /q for a quick format... and apparently it is just peachy formatting 200gigs when format.com got to 100% and said "Fuck you!"

So anyway, got FC3 setup, and am currently getting the updates Using this at 800x600 is killing me though. I don't wanna restart X until after the updates are complete, to get it to 1600x1200.

what video card are you running?? You will probably need to have a later ati or nvidia card w/ the drivers installed to get 1600x1200. You will need those drivers anyways to get most of the games to work as well.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 04:32 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

It's an ATI radeon 9600xt. I downloaded the drivers off ATI's website, but FC3 detected it and the monitor correctly. I'll install the drivers still, just for the updated ones, but it looks like FC3 got everything set up automatically. I haven't messed with the printer or scanner yet.

Also trying to figure out how to get samba running to see if I can get access to my media computer's shares, and get some music going.

DarkWolf
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 04:57 PM

Quote:
It's an ATI radeon 9600xt. I downloaded the drivers off ATI's website, but FC3 detected it and the monitor correctly. I'll install the drivers still, just for the updated ones, but it looks like FC3 got everything set up automatically. I haven't messed with the printer or scanner yet.

Also trying to figure out how to get samba running to see if I can get access to my media computer's shares, and get some music going.

The radeon drivers are a pita to get going... If you have any problems let me know.. I spent about 5-6 days straight trying to figure them out. you dont need samba running to connect to a windows machine, you can do it one of two ways..

smbmount //server/share /mount/point

or

mount -t smbfs //server/share /mount/point -o username=xxxxxxxx

EDIT: you deed need samba running for a windows machine to connect to the linux machine though.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Time Served

I have 9800XT running on this machine with FC3. Worked like a charm straight from the install.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 05:11 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

md isn't working to creat a directory? And I tried in the file browser gui, and the option to create a directory is grayed out.

Been trying to get my 200gig mounted, but can't set up a folder under /mnt to set as the mount point. Ditto with the windows shares.

Edit: Nevermind, forgot md isn't a standard linux command. mkdir works. Still not sure why the option is grayed out in the gui file browser though.

DarkWolf
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 06:26 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Ahh, so nice having 1600x1200 again

And I see now where the option is to change the desktop environment at startup. One final thing before I head to work, how do I set it up so that my 200gig is mounting at startup?

I've been having to do it: mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/Storage ... surely there's a way to automate this so it mounts for me.

DarkWolf
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 06:32 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
The radeon drivers are a pita to get going... If you have any problems let me know.. I spent about 5-6 days straight trying to figure them out. you dont need samba running to connect to a windows machine, you can do it one of two ways..

smbmount //server/share /mount/point

or

mount -t smbfs //server/share /mount/point -o username=xxxxxxxx

EDIT: you deed need samba running for a windows machine to connect to the linux machine though.
Getting an SMB connection failed when trying either of those. I'll mess with it some more when I get home.

DarkWolf
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 01:12 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Just tried to compile Cedega from cvs, but it's erroring out, saying it doesn't have X support, or something like that (and I've already deleted the folder or I'd copy/paste the error)

Would it be worth it for me to just subscribe to Cedega/transgaming and get a binary package (assuming they're already compiled)?

Also still having some problems mounting windows shares, but everything else seems to be running good. And I figured out how to automatically mount my 200gig drive, so that's all taken care of. Now just deciding whether or not I should just purchase Crossover Office or try and jack with Wine, and ditto with Cedega.

DarkWolf
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 02:04 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Apparently the LISa daemon isn't running ... and I can't find it anywhere on the system to start it. I've tried yum and apt-get to install LISa and neither of them are finding it (even though everything I'm seeing online (which isn't much to begin with) says it's a simple "apt-get install lisa" command :-/)

Ideas?

DarkWolf
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Just tried to compile Cedega from cvs, but it's erroring out, saying it doesn't have X support, or something like that (and I've already deleted the folder or I'd copy/paste the error)

Would it be worth it for me to just subscribe to Cedega/transgaming and get a binary package (assuming they're already compiled)?

Also still having some problems mounting windows shares, but everything else seems to be running good. And I figured out how to automatically mount my 200gig drive, so that's all taken care of. Now just deciding whether or not I should just purchase Crossover Office or try and jack with Wine, and ditto with Cedega.
you get compiled biniaries with a subscription to transgaming... I have a subscription, I can get you a copy of the current release, if it works for you you can get a subscription if not. I would not bother,

Crossover is much easier to get working then wine... I would suggest trying out the evaluation version of crossover first, then try and get things working with wine.. determine if you want to pay for it or not.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Apparently the LISa daemon isn't running ... and I can't find it anywhere on the system to start it. I've tried yum and apt-get to install LISa and neither of them are finding it (even though everything I'm seeing online (which isn't much to begin with) says it's a simple "apt-get install lisa" command :-/)

Ideas?

what is the error mesage you get when trying to mount a window share??? post up the command and the output.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 11:35 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
what is the error mesage you get when trying to mount a window share??? post up the command and the output.
[[email protected] ~]$ smbmount //tiamat/Music /mnt/tiamat
5950: Connection to tiamat failed
SMB connection failed
[[email protected] ~]$ mount -t smbfs //tiamat/Music /mnt/tiamat -o username=darkwolf
mount: only root can do that
[[email protected] ~]$ su
Password:
[[email protected] darkwolf]# mount -t smbfs //tiamat/Music /mnt/tiamat -o username=darkwolf
6015: Connection to tiamat failed
SMB connection failed
[[email protected] darkwolf]# mount -t smbfs //tiamat/Music /mnt/tiamat -o username=DarkWolf
6017: Connection to tiamat failed
SMB connection failed
[[email protected] darkwolf]#

Occasionally it'll start kicking out the "mount usage" dialog, as if I'd typed mount --help instead of the actual comand.

DarkWolf
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 01:44 PM

Quote:
[[email protected] ~]$ smbmount //tiamat/Music /mnt/tiamat
5950: Connection to tiamat failed
SMB connection failed
[[email protected] ~]$ mount -t smbfs //tiamat/Music /mnt/tiamat -o username=darkwolf
mount: only root can do that
[[email protected] ~]$ su
Password:
[[email protected] darkwolf]# mount -t smbfs //tiamat/Music /mnt/tiamat -o username=darkwolf
6015: Connection to tiamat failed
SMB connection failed
[[email protected] darkwolf]# mount -t smbfs //tiamat/Music /mnt/tiamat -o username=DarkWolf
6017: Connection to tiamat failed
SMB connection failed
[[email protected] darkwolf]#

Occasionally it'll start kicking out the "mount usage" dialog, as if I'd typed mount --help instead of the actual comand.
try using the ipaddress instead of the host name.
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 03:23 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

That worked beautifully, thank you! I dunno why I didn't think to try the ip addy before :-/

DarkWolf
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 03:37 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

next question ... is it possible to script it to automatically do it at startup, like I did with my 200gig?

It won't let me just mount the ip address, I have to do each share individually, and I can see that being a pain in the ass real quick.

DarkWolf
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 04:27 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I think I got it. Just loaded the command into fstab, I'll check it when I reboot at some point.

DarkWolf
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

You cant type the command into the fstab, but you can format it correct in there.

If you want commands to run on boot, you normally add them to your rc.local file which in fedora is /etc/rc.d/rc.local

add the ip and host into your hosts file so it will work without having to remember the ip addy.

/etc/hosts

post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 08:06 PM

Quote:
You cant type the command into the fstab, but you can format it correct in there.

If you want commands to run on boot, you normally add them to your rc.local file which in fedora is /etc/rc.d/rc.local

add the ip and host into your hosts file so it will work without having to remember the ip addy.

/etc/hosts

go this route, you cannot add a samba mount to fstab, fstab is processed before any networking services are started.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 11:10 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yeah, I ran into that little problem I did some digging around, and found out about the rc.local file, and got it set up in there.

Gonna check out the hosts file now, thank ya for that. Was wondering how all the "howto's" I was finding, were able to just use //hostname when mine wasn't cool with it. They were also mostly suggesting to put the command in fstab, thus my initial tryout.

Just add it as: [ip address] tiamat, yah?

Edit: board kicked out my original < ip address > :-/

DarkWolf

Last edited by DarkWolf; 01-30-2005 at 03:32 PM.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
go this route, you cannot add a samba mount to fstab, fstab is processed before any networking services are started.
Sure you can, you can use automount.

post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 12:54 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Sure you can, you can use automount.
ill check that out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement