no luck finding a free CD to MP3 ripper... - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Scared s**tless
 
DON SVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dallas City Hall, SKYPING
Posts: 15,056
no luck finding a free CD to MP3 ripper...

i have a BOATLOAD of MP3s on my computer. i have a boatload of CDs, but kazaa has been queer lately and hardly has any good music (all scrambled or silent). i want to do this the legit way: convert my CDs to MP3 format and burnm them to a disc. its cheaper to steal the shit. so anyway...

where can i get a free ripper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
DON SVO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:35 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Waco
Posts: 1,329
Windows Media Player 9 has a Copy from CD feature
racrguy is offline  
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 05:52 AM
11-05-09
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oh- sai- rus.
Posts: 21,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy
Windows Media Player 9 has a Copy from CD feature
but that makes the .wma file.
Osiris is offline  
 
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 08:23 AM
Can't get there from here
 
Lusk Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: A galaxy far, far away.
Posts: 1,212
I just did my cd collection a couple of months ago. Try the stuff on this link, it worked pretty good for me.

mp3 Ripper
Lusk Racing is offline  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Wolverines!!!
 
SlowLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: 1st Civ Div
Posts: 9,261
U can buy some ripper for like 10 dollars, called....MP3 maker for magix. Not free but still cheap. Im sure u could find one on a newsgroup somewhere.
SlowLX is offline  
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 08:53 AM
dead
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,611
download music match.
momo stallion is offline  
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 08:54 AM
[]D[][]\/[][]D
 
Blue88Coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Oak Cliff
Posts: 2,167
Get off Kazzaa and get on SoulSeek.
Blue88Coupe is offline  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 08:55 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,831
almost all linux distros have a free mp3 ripper.
trey85stang is offline  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Lifer
 
line-em-up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Somewhere south of here.
Posts: 5,810
Musicmatch

I've been using musicmatch for years. It works great and sounds good. Even the free version has a lot of nice features. To get good sounds quality, rip with at least 192 kps and make sure you use the "high" setting on recording quality. It rips slower that way, but it also eliminates 99.9% of the artifacts.
line-em-up is offline  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Marcus Aurelius
 
Mystic96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Southlake, TX
Posts: 4,249
i've had pretty good luck finding everything i've ever wanted to download on Limewire

it tells you the other persons connection speed and it won't let you download a corrupt file. also it doesn't load any popups that ive seen so far.

--Marcus
Mystic96 is offline  
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Lifer
 
5111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,298
I've used Music Match for several years without complaint.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
5111 is offline  
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Back To Normal
 
2001 GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Beyond the Abyss
Posts: 6,180
Nothing is better then CDex. Google it. It is free.

Texan By Birth, Techsan By Choice.
2001 GT is offline  
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 09:59 AM
Rolling with the homies
 
evil jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Oak Cliff... that's my hood...
Posts: 43,271
Another Music Match user here. I even went out and bought the program on the recommendation of my boss.




2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew


1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

evil jose is offline  
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:44 AM
dead
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,611
IMO while ripping and burning, its best to leave your computer and let it do its thing. otherwise ur prone to getting little blips and shit in your recording (the audiophile in me talking, go 256kbps!)
momo stallion is offline  
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SBRacing
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001 GT
Nothing is better then CDex. Google it. It is free.
I second CDEx.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/

99GT Vert
doopie is offline  
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:48 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!
 
DarkWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,316
My god! How many times has this same topic been brought up, and how many times has CDex been recommended... and yet it still hasn't gotten through to everyone?!

Just get CDex. It's free, fast, and you don't have to worry about other "free" programs that might have spyware or some shit in them, or that have some crap encoder that doesn't quite sound right.

What happened to our sticky that was like a huge FAQ of common computer related questions? I know this topic was in that.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
DarkWolf is offline  
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:50 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!
 
DarkWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
Another Music Match user here. I even went out and bought the program on the recommendation of my boss.
I thought you were using CDex

You should be, in any case

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
DarkWolf is offline  
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:55 PM
Rolling with the homies
 
evil jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Oak Cliff... that's my hood...
Posts: 43,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
I thought you were using CDex

You should be, in any case
I remember trying it at one time. Then my boss showed me Music Match and I like it better




2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew


1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

evil jose is offline  
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:11 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!
 
DarkWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
I remember trying it at one time. Then my boss showed me Music Match and I like it better


That's just not right!

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
DarkWolf is offline  
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:18 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 23
40gigs of mp3 goodness due to cdex. great program and if you have 2 cd drives (who doesn't) you can run 2 instances of it and rip 2 cds at the same time.
Malice is offline  
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:25 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice
40gigs of mp3 goodness due to cdex. great program and if you have 2 cd drives (who doesn't) you can run 2 instances of it and rip 2 cds at the same time.

you did set the quality to something other than 320kbps right? lol. i usually go with 192kbps for ripping Cd's with CDex... i can definately tell the difference between 128kbps and 192kbps, anything higher than 192 you most likely wont notice any quality loss...
buzntxn is offline  
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:49 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!
 
DarkWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice
40gigs of mp3 goodness due to cdex. great program and if you have 2 cd drives (who doesn't) you can run 2 instances of it and rip 2 cds at the same time.
At one point, I had my laptop DVD/CDRW drive, an external DVDRW with two instances of CDex on my laptop ripping to my media computer over the network... and on my media computer, I had it's DVD drive, and CDRW drive with two instances of CDex going.

Ripping 4 CD's at the same time is fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzntxn
you did set the quality to something other than 320kbps right? lol. i usually go with 192kbps for ripping Cd's with CDex... i can definately tell the difference between 128kbps and 192kbps, anything higher than 192 you most likely wont notice any quality loss...
I usually rip at 128k - 192k depending on the music itself. Most (probably 80%) of my 45gigs is 128k. About 98% of my collection is ripped from CD's that I own, or did own at one point, which later got sold.

I used to own over 500 cd's (stopped counting at 500, but continued to amass more cd's.). BMG and Columbia House music clubs are wonderful things, especially when you find out that after you cancel your membership, they'll give you another 10-12 cd's for a penny, if you'll renew your membership

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
DarkWolf is offline  
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:38 PM
98 SVT Cobra
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central IL
Posts: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
My god! How many times has this same topic been brought up, and how many times has CDex been recommended... and yet it still hasn't gotten through to everyone?!

Just get CDex. It's free, fast, and you don't have to worry about other "free" programs that might have spyware or some shit in them, or that have some crap encoder that doesn't quite sound right.

What happened to our sticky that was like a huge FAQ of common computer related questions? I know this topic was in that.
I thought I was gonna fall out of my chair when I saw this thread Jay. We need to get together and put together a FAQ on what progs to use for your everyday computer needs, i.e. CDex, DVD Shrink, Gordian Knot, Firefox... the list goes on and on. And then post up guides on how to use them. It is getting old repeating the samethings all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
At one point, I had my laptop DVD/CDRW drive, an external DVDRW with two instances of CDex on my laptop ripping to my media computer over the network... and on my media computer, I had it's DVD drive, and CDRW drive with two instances of CDex going.

Ripping 4 CD's at the same time is fun .
You can do that? I am gonna have to try next time.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
MoonDog is offline  
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 09:02 PM
Lifer
 
line-em-up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Somewhere south of here.
Posts: 5,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
I thought I was gonna fall out of my chair when I saw this thread Jay. We need to get together and put together a FAQ on what progs to use for your everyday computer needs, i.e. CDex, DVD Shrink, Gordian Knot, Firefox... the list goes on and on. And then post up guides on how to use them. It is getting old repeating the samethings all the time.
While you're at it, make a FAQ for a DVD copy program. I know the new software won't let you copy copyrighted stuff, but that's what I need.
line-em-up is offline  
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dallas
Posts: 742
Try iTunes it's free

Try iTunes....it's free

lwk2 is offline  
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:45 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!
 
DarkWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
I thought I was gonna fall out of my chair when I saw this thread Jay. We need to get together and put together a FAQ on what progs to use for your everyday computer needs, i.e. CDex, DVD Shrink, Gordian Knot, Firefox... the list goes on and on. And then post up guides on how to use them. It is getting old repeating the samethings all the time.
Seriously! I remember we used to have one up, but I think maybe it was lost when we had to change the forum due to the old ones being hacked.

I'm down for contributing. We need to see who all wants to work on the bulk of it, and what areas they're wanting to contribute to (such as internet/browser/email security, cd/dvd backup (mp3/divx/vcd/svcd/dvd shrink), file sharing, etc). Not only suggest programs for these areas, but yeah, also write up a guide either on the programs usage, or on basic principals (such as how to protect yourself from viruses/spyware as it's more than just a single program that magically does everything for you).

Obviously it'll focus more on Windows, but I don't see any reason if someone wants to contribute the information, why *nix and Mac stuff can't be added to it.

I'll PM you sometime this weekend (about to head to sleep), we should work out a list of topics that'll need to be covered, then post that up and see who wants to work on what.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
DarkWolf is offline  
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:55 PM
98 SVT Cobra
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central IL
Posts: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up
While you're at it, make a FAQ for a DVD copy program. I know the new software won't let you copy copyrighted stuff, but that's what I need.
If you use both DVD Decrypter and/or DVD Shrink you can copy copyrighted stuff with no problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Seriously! I remember we used to have one up, but I think maybe it was lost when we had to change the forum due to the old ones being hacked.


I'm down for contributing. We need to see who all wants to work on the bulk of it, and what areas they're wanting to contribute to (such as internet/browser/email security, cd/dvd backup (mp3/divx/vcd/svcd/dvd shrink), file sharing, etc). Not only suggest programs for these areas, but yeah, also write up a guide either on the programs usage, or on basic principals (such as how to protect yourself from viruses/spyware as it's more than just a single program that magically does everything for you).

Obviously it'll focus more on Windows, but I don't see any reason if someone wants to contribute the information, why *nix and Mac stuff can't be added to it.

I'll PM you sometime this weekend (about to head to sleep), we should work out a list of topics that'll need to be covered, then post that up and see who wants to work on what.
I'm down with that. I could contribute something for CD/DVD encoding/burning and maybe something else.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
MoonDog is offline  
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzntxn
you did set the quality to something other than 320kbps right? lol. i usually go with 192kbps for ripping Cd's with CDex... i can definately tell the difference between 128kbps and 192kbps, anything higher than 192 you most likely wont notice any quality loss...
If you're playing them with computer speakers or similar, probably not. Try them on hi-fi equipment (or even decent mid range system) and you don't want to deal with mp3 at all. I rip mine to WAV but I might try some of the lossless compression formats later on if space becomes an issue.
Sami is offline  
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 03:40 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Seriously! I remember we used to have one up, but I think maybe it was lost when we had to change the forum due to the old ones being hacked.

I'm down for contributing. We need to see who all wants to work on the bulk of it, and what areas they're wanting to contribute to (such as internet/browser/email security, cd/dvd backup (mp3/divx/vcd/svcd/dvd shrink), file sharing, etc). Not only suggest programs for these areas, but yeah, also write up a guide either on the programs usage, or on basic principals (such as how to protect yourself from viruses/spyware as it's more than just a single program that magically does everything for you).

Obviously it'll focus more on Windows, but I don't see any reason if someone wants to contribute the information, why *nix and Mac stuff can't be added to it.

I'll PM you sometime this weekend (about to head to sleep), we should work out a list of topics that'll need to be covered, then post that up and see who wants to work on what.
I would be willing to add some linux and mac stuff... I do all my dvd ripping on a mac, and I obviously use linux day-to-day.

EDIT: Just let me know what you guys would like to have added and I will work on it.
trey85stang is offline  
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Lifer
 
line-em-up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Somewhere south of here.
Posts: 5,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami
If you're playing them with computer speakers or similar, probably not. Try them on hi-fi equipment (or even decent mid range system) and you don't want to deal with mp3 at all. I rip mine to WAV but I might try some of the lossless compression formats later on if space becomes an issue.
I'm sure I don't have perfect ears, but I've compared the CD and 192kps mp3 that I ripped directly to each other through a top of the line Sansui reciever and $200 Senheiser headphones and I couldn't tell the difference.
line-em-up is offline  
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up
I'm sure I don't have perfect ears, but I've compared the CD and 192kps mp3 that I ripped directly to each other through a top of the line Sansui reciever and $200 Senheiser headphones and I couldn't tell the difference.
My ears are far from perfect but I did A-B comparison with highest bitrate mp3 burned back to CD and the actual redbook CD. Much better dynamics on the CD, the sound wasn't flat or congested like on the mp3. Both were played with the same CD player.

I haven't listened to SACD but DVD-A sounds better than CD so there is an advantage to have even higher resolution audio than CD. My equipment isn't hi-fi but it doesn't like mp3's. H/K AVR7200 driving Polk Audio LSi7's (five for DVD-A, two for CD) paired with an SVS PC Ultra SW.

Sorry for getting OT.
Sami is offline  
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Lifer
 
line-em-up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Somewhere south of here.
Posts: 5,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami
My ears are far from perfect but I did A-B comparison with highest bitrate mp3 burned back to CD and the actual redbook CD. Much better dynamics on the CD, the sound wasn't flat or congested like on the mp3. Both were played with the same CD player.

I haven't listened to SACD but DVD-A sounds better than CD so there is an advantage to have even higher resolution audio than CD. My equipment isn't hi-fi but it doesn't like mp3's. H/K AVR7200 driving Polk Audio LSi7's (five for DVD-A, two for CD) paired with an SVS PC Ultra SW.

Sorry for getting OT.
Cool. I'd be interested in hearing it myself. I see you mentioned the mp3 back to CD. Was it still an mp3 or back to a CDA file?
line-em-up is offline  
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 05:10 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up
Cool. I'd be interested in hearing it myself. I see you mentioned the mp3 back to CD. Was it still an mp3 or back to a CDA file?
Back to CDA so mp3 quality. I could compare mp3 to WAV once I get my HTPC hooked up again. Playing from different source wouldn't be ideal, even when calibrated to same dB, that's why I burned it back to CD.

You're welcome to stop by to listen.
Sami is offline  
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 05:21 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
but that makes the .wma file.
If you want a freeby, CDex or WMP 10 (free). Or you can indeed do it with WMP 9 with the plug-in (not free).
Sean Park is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome