Looking to buy a new computer but have a few questions... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Looking to buy a new computer but have a few questions...

Looking to pick up a new computer for my parents and I was curious as to what everyone's opinion was on Dell's? The will only be using it for Internet and some home financial programs and the like. What's the difference between Pentium and Celeron? Anyone know of any good deals anywhere right now? Would prefer to get a package that doesn't include a monitor as I would like to buy and LCD for them aswell. Any input is very much appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

With even the most basic knowledge, you can build your parents a faster/better computer for less money than you'll spend on a Dell. But, factor in the cost of software (hey, i know some people actually buy windows!) as well as the possible cost of time to you if it breaks, vs. buying a prefabbed computer and having free technical support.

That being said, i've had the same L1000R for ~4 years now, and it still runs great - never had any problems with it and i RARELY (see: never) turn it off.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Shakin them haters off!

Location: You've seen mine, Now lets see your's...Come with what you GOT!! No excuses!!
you definately wana get a Pentium processor, nothing less. For the money, your better off finding someone who can build you badass system for half the price with lots more extras.

Keep HATIN motha fucka$!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

AMD > Intel
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

dont build...not worth wasting your time. Just buy a dell. They usually run great deals. THey had a deal through Jan 1st (I know its too late) but it was:

2.8ghz p4
512 ddr
cd burner
15" lcd
dvd player
software
blah, blah, blah...

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthreeohz
AMD > Intel
I used to feel the same way but will never go back. I had a 1.1ghz AMD and it ran hot as hell. With my 2.8ghz celeron I can run the hell out of my computer and touch the heatsink, its not hot. Intel runs way cooler and more reliable

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Gunga galunga

although they would just be using it for internet I would still go with the pentium, cheap the video card, but would recomend a gig of ram. Atleast with that the computer will last them longer without needing upgrades. Unless your going with the LCD as a must for space, CRT's IMO look better and are much cheaper. Cheap LCD's you get what you pay for, and for the same price you can get a very nice CRT...

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.D.
you definately wana get a Pentium processor, nothing less. For the money, your better off finding someone who can build you badass system for half the price with lots more extras.
Why do you feel a Pentium is so much better?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Lifer

Check out www.tigerdirect.com I've bought a few K worth of stuff from them and never had a problem. They have pretty good PC prices.

Also check out www.frys-electronics-ads.com I believe they have 17inch LCD's for $269 or something like that.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:41 PM
Shakin them haters off!

Location: You've seen mine, Now lets see your's...Come with what you GOT!! No excuses!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWeeC5
Why do you feel a Pentium is so much better?
because the blue guys are cool....

Keep HATIN motha fucka$!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford
although they would just be using it for internet I would still go with the pentium, cheap the video card, but would recomend a gig of ram. Atleast with that the computer will last them longer without needing upgrades. Unless your going with the LCD as a must for space, CRT's IMO look better and are much cheaper. Cheap LCD's you get what you pay for, and for the same price you can get a very nice CRT...
Space does play into wanting to get them an LCD, I have a 21.3" Samsung LCD and it has been GREAT. Unless you will be gaming I think LCD is the only way to go, that's just my personal opinion though. They don't need anything fancy, just something newer than what there using now(current computer is 8-9yrs. old) Hell, if my mom had it her way she would just go buy a new computer but my dad feels that it's an unneeded expense when they already have one that works, even if it is slow as shit.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:51 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

AMD64 is the shnitz!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:59 PM
Lifer

You're dad is funny Zach. Dells are reasonable, make sure you get their 3 year warranty though, i'm sure something will go out by the time the 3 years are up. I just bought my mom a computer for christmas from Bestbuy. $450 after mail in rebates (including taxes). 17" monitor, printer, computer (2.93Ghz Celeron D processor, 512mb PC2700 DDR, 80 GB HD) hell I would have just given her my old one and taken the new one, but it has an integrated vid card and I don't want to mess with that.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Well, looks like I will try stoping by Fry's when I get a chance sometime this week and if they dont have any great deals then it looks like I will be going Dell.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:27 AM
Worship me

Just go to Fry's and buy the cheapest E machines PC they got, that's what I do. It doesn't matter if it fucks up because it only cost $500 to $700 and everything can be reaplced with cheap shit. That is what this machine is...550 MHZ, PC100 RAM, 14 gig hard drive and a 64 MB video card for a PCI slot. Been working great for 5 years now. I just got a 566 Mhz machine the other day with 3 slots for PC100 RAM and an AGP slot (OOOOHHH!!!) so I'm about to be a true fuckin playa....LOL

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:58 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

If it was for yourself, I'd say just build yourself a bad ass system. Since it is for your dad, either get him one of the lower end Dells or like Al suggested an E-Machine.

I'd also spend some bucks on a decent 19"+ LCD. Old people have old eyes. I know, I'm one of them.

It isn't worth the potential hassles in a build it your own system if it is going to your dad and mom. My dad buys only Dells, my father-in-law only builds.

Last computer help call I got from my dad was regarding sharing files between his desktop and laptop. That was 18 months ago. My father-in-law calls me what seems like every other day.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:31 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWeeC5
Unless you will be gaming I think LCD is the only way to go, that's just my personal opinion though.
Depends on the LCD. The newer ones are great, even for gaming. No ghosting or artifacting like you had with the older LCD's.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement