knoppix 3.7 help... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

knoppix 3.7 help...

Bro gave this Cd to me. Was reading up on it, seems it's not really a OS. Says it's a bootable CD w/linux software on it. I have XP pro already, but I have an extra partition just sitting there thought I would use it. So I'm not sure if I have to have Linux already or what. Anybody here uses this or has exp. w/ it. let me know
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 01:50 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

If it's what I think it is, it's just a bootable CD that already has Linux installed on it. Meaning you can boot off it, and run Linux, without actually installing Linux to your hdd.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 04:48 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Yeah, just sitck the cd in your drive and boot from it. It will load up Linux without installing on your partition. Its a great way to try out a great OS without having to run through the install process or possibly screwing something up if you dont know what your doing. Have fun with it.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

thanks ya
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 05:01 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Gotta try it out. Been dealing with a few viruses all week that I got at a lan party, and have just generally been increasingly wanting to switch to Linux for a while now. This past week was kinda the last straw (Haven't had a virus in nearly 8 years, most of that time without even running a virus scanner :-/ It's just too damn easy to get a virus now). That, and Wine appears to be supporting Dreamweaver, Illustrator, and Photoshop (which I still need to keep around until Gimp is fully caught up) finally.

Only downside is I'm going to have to keep XP around for games :-/ At least until WineX is supporting my games, I suppose.

DarkWolf
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 05:06 AM
3rd shift sloucher

i used knoppix back when i war drived, it was great little linux distro
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Gotta try it out. Been dealing with a few viruses all week that I got at a lan party, and have just generally been increasingly wanting to switch to Linux for a while now. This past week was kinda the last straw (Haven't had a virus in nearly 8 years, most of that time without even running a virus scanner :-/ It's just too damn easy to get a virus now). That, and Wine appears to be supporting Dreamweaver, Illustrator, and Photoshop (which I still need to keep around until Gimp is fully caught up) finally.

Only downside is I'm going to have to keep XP around for games :-/ At least until WineX is supporting my games, I suppose.

crossover office supports dreamweaver illistrator and photoshop. It is a commercial version of wien. It is 29.99 or 39.99.

But, wine is always getting better, Im finding that most games I want to play work under wine just fine. but, I am not a big gamer so I am generally not playing the latest games.

EDIT: I also have a subscrioption to winex/cedega... let me know if you want a copy to try before you actually pay for it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 01:27 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
crossover office supports dreamweaver illistrator and photoshop. It is a commercial version of wien. It is 29.99 or 39.99.

But, wine is always getting better, Im finding that most games I want to play work under wine just fine. but, I am not a big gamer so I am generally not playing the latest games.

EDIT: I also have a subscrioption to winex/cedega... let me know if you want a copy to try before you actually pay for it.
Will do. Not really a big gamer myself. But would like to run WoW, Generals, and Neverwinter Nights.

I'm gonna check out Knoppix to make sure I can get it working with my network (which may eventually be switched over at a later date), and get refamiliarized with Linux, as it's been about 6 years since I've used it. I'm just not sure which distro I want to go with. I like Red Hat for their rpm system (and it's what I used 6 years ago), and I know Mandrake uses rpm's as well, while Debian has their own package installer system.

I'm kinda torn between RH, Mandrake, Suse, and Debian... pro's and con's of each, anyone that's used 'em?

DarkWolf
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Will do. Not really a big gamer myself. But would like to run WoW, Generals, and Neverwinter Nights.

I'm gonna check out Knoppix to make sure I can get it working with my network (which may eventually be switched over at a later date), and get refamiliarized with Linux, as it's been about 6 years since I've used it. I'm just not sure which distro I want to go with. I like Red Hat for their rpm system (and it's what I used 6 years ago), and I know Mandrake uses rpm's as well, while Debian has their own package installer system.

I'm kinda torn between RH, Mandrake, Suse, and Debian... pro's and con's of each, anyone that's used 'em?

I run all three of those games... NWN has a native linux client, WOW works on the latest cedega version... and Generals works with cedega (and wine i think).. but it is not the greatest. Just pm when you need a copy and I will send it to your gmail or something

EDIT: as for the sitro's I've tried them all and I like slackware (obviously ) I always try out other distro's but slackware is the one that just always has worked for me.

Redhat/Fedora - great beginner setup, lots of wizards for different things.

Mandrake - Same as above, has the best installer available in linux period

Suse, very bloated distro has every package you could possibly want, is compatable with Radeon and NVIDIA cards out of the box

debian - I never really liked debian... used it for a about 3-4 days.

Slackware - simple setup, but a little more difficult to tackle.. this is a source distro so most everything needs to be compiled for source or distrbuted in tgz format which is a simple install.. it does not check for dependencies when installing packages.

Last edited by trey85stang; 01-16-2005 at 02:45 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 07:32 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I may look into slackware after getting more familiar with Linux in general... however I'm very impressed that WoW works (I figured NWN and Generals would, as they've been out a while)...

I don't really play much else, played a little Dawn of War (that's one of our staple lan party games), and some ET, UT, Q3, and AvP1&2, but I'm not much for FPS's so they rarely stay installed for too long.

I'd ask about emulators, but I just realized that they all have Linux native versions, so that answeres that question

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement