What software would you use to make an animated movie? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

What software would you use to make an animated movie?

Lets something thats a possible 45 minutes to 1.5 hours long? Everything would be hand drawn and imported into adobe photo shop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 07:17 PM
not exclude

Most programs could simply compile images, that little program that is packaged with Photoshop (Animation Shop i THINK it is) would work fine for what you need.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 11:36 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
Most programs could simply compile images, that little program that is packaged with Photoshop (Animation Shop i THINK it is) would work fine for what you need.
ImageReady

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
ImageReady
I dont think imageready would be an application you would use to deliver a full fledged movie.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 01:37 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

No, ImageReady is for animated gif's. To do a full fledged animated movie, you might look into Adobe Premier and/or After Effects (if you want to stick with Adobe products).

There's also Autodesk Animator (not sure if that's still being produced). And for the high end market, there's the industry standard, Avid... or Discreet's line of Fire, Smoke, Inferno, Flame, Flint, and Combustion.

Fire and Smoke are Discreets non-linear video editing solutions. They both do essentially the same thing in different ways. Inferno, Flame, Flint and Combustion are Discreet's effects and compositing solutions. You don't need them all, I listed them in order of how high end they are.

I've used Premier and After Effects pretty extensively, and they'll definitely do a full fledged animated movie. Premier is Adobe's video editor, while After Effects is Adobe's effects and compositing product. I do know that it's easier to import a series of frames into After Effects, to render them out to a video file, and then take a series of video files (acts, or chapters, if you will) and bring them into Premier for transitioning and looping, titles, credits, etc. Both allow you to manipulate audio tracks, for synching music/speech/sound effects, with the video (meaning time shifting and cutting, not actually editing the waveform).

In essense Premier is a non-linear video editing system, while After Effects is Photoshop for video.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 04:38 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
I dont think imageready would be an application you would use to deliver a full fledged movie.
I was telling exlude what the name of the program was, it wasn't my answer to you. Sorry for the confusion. BTW, Animation Shop is a program that comes with Paint Shop. ImageReady comes with Photoshop. Both are for creating gifs.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 05:07 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

You know, I completely forgot about this piece of software, which looks to be pretty awesome: Cinelarra

It's a Linux based non-linear video editing/effects/compositing package. I'd bet that will do what you're wanting to do as well.

DarkWolf
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 05:22 AM
3rd shift sloucher

if u are just gonna use frames (IE drawings) use Videomach, its pretty powerfull and easy to use, renders in codecs of your choice as well.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Thanks for the input guys. Now that I've got a more robust road plan laid out, doing the video editing is going to take a LONG time, and its pretty far down the road. I've got the story started ( not completed ), and am writting it as I go along for the greatest impact as even I do not know where it is going to lead. We are going to draw it comic book form so we can get a better idea of scenery layout, angles, and just overall feel of the story. I'm very excited to get my ideas written out and drawn on paper, I think it will be really good in the end.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:42 AM
Bite Me!!!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 01:17 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

That's a bit much for a 2D animated film

DarkWolf
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Bite Me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
That's a bit much for a 2D animated film

overkill GOOD!!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:55 PM
lol, this place sucks now

I remember trying to use Maya... lmao, I could make things furry and grass... that's about it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement