Sata - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
not exclude

Sata

Any of you guys have experience with it? I have one on my home set up and have noticed an increase in speed. Apparently it is supposed to have an increased error rate, but I have not noticed it.

Now, I'm deciding what to get for a set up here at work for our file scanning (moving the firm paperless). SCSI is the most likely choice, but SATA would be a nice alternative if the boss isn't cool with the price on SCSI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 01:51 PM
El Camino

for corporate stuff I'd stick with SCSI. Its been tested and you can't wrong with it. if you have some non critical stuff or need some testing you could just use IDE.

Depends on the application but if you need fault tolerance I'd stick with good old SCSI in a RAID 5 array

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 01:57 PM
fuckcanada

explain what raid 5 is please,

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 04:08 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
Any of you guys have experience with it? I have one on my home set up and have noticed an increase in speed. Apparently it is supposed to have an increased error rate, but I have not noticed it.

Now, I'm deciding what to get for a set up here at work for our file scanning (moving the firm paperless). SCSI is the most likely choice, but SATA would be a nice alternative if the boss isn't cool with the price on SCSI.
SATA drives do not have any sort of error rate that I am aware of. I would definatly get them over SCSI, unless your a multimillion year company and can afford the outrageous price of SCSI drives. You can replace sata far cheaper if they ever do go bad and they offer just as fast drive capability for far cheaper. You'll also want to invest in some drive coolers, I'll never run anything critical without them, best $15 per drive you can spend.

As for drive setup, I would definitely use raid 1 vs raid 5 for the ease of rebuilding if the shit hits the fan, of course it really depends on what you're doing. What is going to be stored on these drives ( database, applications, images ) What size files are going to be used ( small sub 1gb files vs larger plus 1gb files.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
not exclude

I work at an estate planning law firm. Most all files are going to be under 5mb. We will be scanning all of our signed trusts, etc to get rid of all the paper. I don't need fast access due to large files, I need fast access due to the amount of accesses to the drives.

What drive coolers would you recommend? I'm having all sorts of heating problems on my P4 system at home, and any extra cooling would be nice.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
not exclude

Wow, just read that SATA drives are hot pluggable. That almost makes them worth it by themselves...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 05:05 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
I work at an estate planning law firm. Most all files are going to be under 5mb. We will be scanning all of our signed trusts, etc to get rid of all the paper. I don't need fast access due to large files, I need fast access due to the amount of accesses to the drives.

What drive coolers would you recommend? I'm having all sorts of heating problems on my P4 system at home, and any extra cooling would be nice.
Just grab the $15 - $20 drive bay ( dockable ) coolers from fry's. I have two of them in my colo box for dfwls1.com, normal temp was 45* C, after drive cooler 30* C.

You should design a website with a database backend, users, groups, and all sorts of other goodies to make using the file server easier to use. I'd do it for some money, or can recommend some other companies that can do it.

Grab the 10k rpm raptor drives from western digital, they have blazing fast seek times, and they have a 5 year warranty.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 05:12 PM

FYI: check slashdot from friday or thursday of last week, Hitachi will be releasing some 10,000rpm 500gb SATA II drives in the next 2-3 months

I know what my next upgrade will be
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

I love my 2x raptors

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 06:14 PM
fuckcanada

36 or 74 gig?

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath
36 or 74 gig?

36 gigs :\ I got one for free

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 11:28 PM

Raptors kick all kinds of ass. Night and day difference from IDE, now I just need to buy another one. I actually started laughing when it booted the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement