Tired of slow times with your ps2? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Tired of slow times with your ps2?

If you have an Xbox and want to make some asinine comment how you can do all this great stuff without having to buy extra crap, no one cares. This is a PS2 thread and all PDS will be deleted.

I bought a copy of San Andreas and starting playing religiously for a few weeks. What a great game, I enjoyed every aspect of it. The only downside was facing the huge magnitude of load times between scenes, It really made changing clothes, getting something to eat, working out, or going inside a safe house to save a game such a chore that it almost wasn't even worth exploring these parts of the game anymore.

So I set myself with a task. Figure out how you decrease the amount of load it takes between scenes without installing any 'mod' chips or 'hacks' that could block game play online. Being a computer guy, the first thing I thought of was CPU. I took my PS2 apart and started poking around. I saw the emotion cpu ( 300mhz ) and a few coprocessors, video memory, and a bunch of dust. The cpu is pretty much soldered to the mother board so upgrading the cpu was not an option. There was not any dip switches at all so over clocking seemed out of the question.

Next I did some research on possible bottlenecks. I found some cool technical specs that stated the main reason why ps2 games have such drastic load times is do to the 4x ( that's right four ) speed DVD-ROM. It can transfer data from 300k - 1200k per second depending on the condition of the game. That's slower then some broadband connections!!!

I did some research and tried to find out if there was anyway to upgrade the speed of the reader for the DVD-ROM. About the only thing I found was the ability to upgrade to a newer laser that had less of a chance of getting DRE errors.

Stumped, I did some more browsing and found this cool program called hdloader. It boasted the ability to use the Sony PS2 Network Adapter hard drive function and rip games to a disk which increases data throughput by almost 20 times.

WOW. That's a big increase in throughput and would defiantly get rid of data to cpu bottleneck. Fate was not here yet though, 3 days after the HDLoader software was being sold to the public, Sony came in and HDLoader decided it was best not to fight them. The software is pretty hard to find anywhere, if at all possible anymore

Upset, I did some more research and found out another company picked up where they left off, did some modifications and is now selling their software. I ordered the software as soon as I could whip out my credit card and three days later I was good to go. I've had a few people ask questions about this, so here is some more information.

Basic parts that you're going to need.

1. A generation 1 PS2 ( the new slim ps2 will not support a hard drive update: they have a usb version that fixes this ):
I bought mine used from a board member.

2. Official Sony PS2 Network Adapter:
I bought mine new at Fry's.

3. A hard drive that will fit ( I recommend Maxtor as some WD and Seagate models have fitment issues ) the networks mosix/ide connections:
I used a 80GB Maxtor Drive 7200RPM 8MB cache. The software supports up to 200GB drive, and people claim to have gotten 250GB drives to work. Keep in mind most games are 4GB, smaller games are 1 - 2GB.

4. HDAdvance Software:
I bought mine from www.consolepoint.com as it seemed to be the cheapest. It was $30 plus shipping.

After you get all the parts, put everything together, hard drive to the network adapter, screw the network adapter into the PS2, turn on the ps2 and put in the hdadvance software.

After the software boots up, it will auto detect your hard drive, since its a new drive, it will ask you if you wish to format. Formatting takes about 10 seconds. Next it will go into the loader screen. This is the screen you'll pretty much always see. You'll want to rip your first game. Try using one that you always hated playing because of load times. I used Dragonball Z Budokai 3. As a benchmark, I counted how many seconds it took to load a fight scene before ( 16 Seconds ). After you put the disk in, click convert and then it will scan the disk and ask you to type in a name. After you finish the name, hit finish and it will rip the game. This process takes between 20 and 30 minutes depending on the game size and condition of the cd. After it has finished "convertion" ( lol at their misspell!! ), you will now be able to play the game without the need of your cd in the drive. After you play the game for the first time, you will defiantly notice an increase in performance an in some cases graphic quality as images are not being progressively loaded. I benchmarked the cut scene to fight in DBZ3, it was down to 2 seconds. HUGE increase in performance.

The next phase that I'm working on is getting the media player software to work so I can stream divx video from my computer, to the ps2, and play them on the TV.

That's pretty much it, if you guys have any questions, I'll try and answer them!

Last edited by AbecX; 11-19-2005 at 07:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 06:05 PM
fuckcanada

sweet. good read.
about how much did you spend?
and how much less were loading times in GTA:SA ?

post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Lifer

How does a hard drive connect to a network adapter? Are you talking about a internal hard drive like the kind I have in my desktop or an external? I know sony offers a hard drive option for the Final Fantasy MMPORPG.

I have a Gen 1 PS2 with network adapter already but the only inputs seemed to be a dial up and a broadband jack.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Lifer

Nevermind, I did a google search and figured it out. I didnt realize the network adapter had a IDE and power connection on the back facing the cavity in the PS2. Anyway for anyone interested here is a link to all this being done and even a mod to a network adapter for different hard drives.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/hdloader.ars
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath
sweet. good read.
about how much did you spend?
and how much less were loading times in GTA:SA ?
I spent $40 on the network adapter, $30 on software, $120 on the ps2, I had a spare drive ( they are like $70 or $80 right now ). Thats pretty much it.

I shit you not, the loads times for GTA:SA, you walk into a building, it fades, and fades right back in, there is no load between scenes

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason
How does a hard drive connect to a network adapter? Are you talking about a internal hard drive like the kind I have in my desktop or an external? I know sony offers a hard drive option for the Final Fantasy MMPORPG.

I have a Gen 1 PS2 with network adapter already but the only inputs seemed to be a dial up and a broadband jack.
The inputs are on the inside, there is a cavity for the hard drive.

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Gunga galunga

damn thats sweet makes me want to get a PS2 again, especially with GT4 coming sometime hopefully...

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Lifer

Could you also "backup" games from blockbuster using this? I dont see why not but I have to ask.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Lifer

Abecx, is this the one you got? http://www.costcentral.com/proddetai.../pricegrabber/
How many games do you think 80GB can hold? Is the whole thing a plug and play? BTW, great write up thanks.
-Young
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason
Could you also "backup" games from blockbuster using this? I dont see why not but I have to ask.
In theory yes, but its a stupid idea unless you just want to be a collector. All 14 games that I have I've bought I actually play. Ripping games just to rip them normally turns you into a non gamer as your just trying to increase your collection size. The only game I've ripped that I havent owned is that crashing game ( burntout? ). I stil dont play it though.

post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by xYoung347x
Abecx, is this the one you got? http://www.costcentral.com/proddetai.../pricegrabber/
How many games do you think 80GB can hold? Is the whole thing a plug and play? BTW, great write up thanks.
-Young
I dont know the exact model of the drive, but I'm pretty sure thats it. You can fit 20 - 30 games on a 80gb drive.

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 12:53 AM
PVC Racing

damn that sounds sweet ass hell. I love PS2 but your right the load time just plain sucks and makes you not want to play that game anymore. Heck right not I'm through with GTA SA for awile, but I will go back. Its a pretty fun game though. right now I have been playing NFS underground 2.

How much would you charge to set it up for someone?

"Less talkie talkie more ping pong"
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclestang89
How much would you charge to set it up for someone?
I wouldnt charge, if you cant do it yourself, you'd seriously have to be an idiot. There is nothing hard here at all.

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 10:02 AM

the load times are when i chug beer. if i got rid of them, i would get buzzed when protectin Groove St.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 12:54 PM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpawl
the load times are when i chug beer. if i got rid of them, i would get buzzed when protectin Groove St.
haha!! classic

post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

xbox is better

post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
the networks mosix/ide connections
Abecx what is this connection you speak of and where can I get one?
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 02:16 PM
lol, this place sucks now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
I wouldnt charge, if you cant do it yourself, you'd seriously have to be an idiot. There is nothing hard here at all.
so how much?
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
so how much?
Ditto, lol.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by xYoung347x
Abecx what is this connection you speak of and where can I get one?
It comes on the network adapter you buy at any store that carries ps2. Its the Sony Network Adapter, comes in a yellow package. On the back of the adapeter is hard drive hook ups. I guess you guys need pics?

post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Lifer

Quote:
It comes on the network adapter you buy at any store that carries ps2. Its the Sony Network Adapter, comes in a yellow package. On the back of the adapeter is hard drive hook ups. I guess you guys need pics?
Pics would be nice.
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 11:25 PM

I heard the HD Loader was banned not too long after it came out. Supposedly, Sony threatened to sue? There are a few copies floating around I'm sure...
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Lifer

For people whos looking for the hard drive and planing on doing this. I found a cheap 120GB Maxtor. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...s=19&c=us&l=en
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 08:44 AM

Any updates to this? I bought a hard drive and a network adapter (birthday stuff actually), and Cruz is right, you'd have to be an idiot not to understand this. I had the drive and adapter installed in less than 2 minutes. It was harder to remove the parts from their packages

The only problem I ran into is that I thought I could burn a copy of HDAdvance that a friend ordered, and my PC wouldn't cooperate. So other than some software, I'm ready to 'back up' some games. I guess I'll have to fork over the ~$30 and order the software.
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 01:44 PM
Raiden Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
Any updates to this? I bought a hard drive and a network adapter (birthday stuff actually), and Cruz is right, you'd have to be an idiot not to understand this. I had the drive and adapter installed in less than 2 minutes. It was harder to remove the parts from their packages

The only problem I ran into is that I thought I could burn a copy of HDAdvance that a friend ordered, and my PC wouldn't cooperate. So other than some software, I'm ready to 'back up' some games. I guess I'll have to fork over the ~$30 and order the software.
Yeah he convinced me to buy it and I've had it for some time now. The only problem is that the main game I'm playing right now, Gran Turismo 4, is not compatible with it. I read somewhere its possible to get it to work, but you have to put the ps2 HD in your comp and rip the game to your comp and transfer it directly.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 02:47 PM

That's not really a problem, I bought GT4 a while back anyway.

Did you get the HDAdvance from the same place Cruz got his?
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Raiden Wins

On the website all of their places on "Where to buy" aren't really big time stores, and alot are in other countries so I just got it off Ebay. I got a better price than what some of the online stores wanted too. My plan was to use my friend's GT4 and put it on my HD, when it didn't work, I rushed up to Gay Stop that night and got a copy.
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 03:46 PM
Raiden Wins

Oh and for some reason I felt the need to get a 200gb hard drive, I don't know why. I'm never gonna fill this thing up.
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Yeah, I doubt I'll fill up my 80gb drive. I havent tried to get gt4 to work on it yet, but I'm sure it cant be that hard. I'm not really liking GT4 anyway, I think it sucks.

post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 10:00 PM
Raiden Wins

HD advance website says no DVD-9 games will work on it. I'd like to find out a way to get GT4 on it cause it's got load times through every damn screen!
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 10:13 PM
fuckcanada

Some people have found a way to get it to work, by splitting it up.
not exactly sure how that works but, it does.

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 01:00 AM
Raiden Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath
Some people have found a way to get it to work, by splitting it up.
not exactly sure how that works but, it does.
I wish someone would tell me how....and is your location thing UGK?
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 10:59 AM

just ordered HDadvance from Ebay
post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 09:23 AM

Received my software last night. I am 1 for 3 trying to convert the games over to the hard drive. I'm fairly certain it is a hardware problem with the PS2 though. Will a lens cleaner work in these things? It's a little bit older model and I vaguely recall some issues with laser alignment, but can't remember the details. It has a hard time finding some of the game discs and sometimes can't find regular movie DVDs.
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Try sitting the PS2 on its side so its standing up and down, it will help it read better.

post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Time Served

I got that one time and you can look up a list of compatible HDD's on the net and buy one of those. Other that that its pretty easy to use from there. You can get hdloader on ebay and some other sites but they are trying to get rid of it cause people can copy rental games. I think its awesome cause there is hardly any load time. Very great product. With me it also depended on what version of ps2 i had but i got one that was newer and it worked fine. On my older one i could hardly copy any games. When i put it in one that was bought a year ago it copied almost all my games. i think i had trouble with a few.

Last edited by tac1987; 03-22-2005 at 01:42 PM.
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 01:37 PM

Exclamation not to...

not to sound like a dick-
but you spelled "definitely" wrong.
i'm still waiting on my copy of GT4.... dumb bass on ebay is taking forever to process my order.
also, not trying to break the rules but, my friend Rich in Austion modified his xbox with a chip and a bigger hard-drive.. lemme say WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE!! It loaded ten times faster than mine did. If GT4 loads slow, I'll upgrade mine as well.
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo5.0
not to sound like a dick-
but you spelled "definitely" wrong.
i'm still waiting on my copy of GT4.... dumb bass on ebay is taking forever to process my order.
also, not trying to break the rules but, my friend Rich in Austion modified his xbox with a chip and a bigger hard-drive.. lemme say WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE!! It loaded ten times faster than mine did. If GT4 loads slow, I'll upgrade mine as well.
not to be a dick but you spelled 'dumbass' wrong... and where is Austion?
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Time Served

BURN!!!!!
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 08:49 AM

Cruz, have you had any games that wouldn't play from the HDD? I have several that will convert fine, but when I try to run them it freezes on the game start up screen. Rainbow Six 3 launches but just stays at a black screen.

Last night I took the PS2 apart to clean the lense and read a tutorial on adjusting the lense, but the PS2 just seemed to reset the lense height I would set it to. Any suggestions?

The main reason I tried to clean/adjust it is because it will skip and pause during DVDs and won't even load certain movies.

After I put it back together it works exactly like it did before I touched it.
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Try putting the PS2 on its side, it will help it read better somehow ( thats what Sony says ).

The only game I have had problems ripping is GT3, I gave up after a few tries. I never tried to rip GT4, but some people have got it to work. There is also multiple modes you can launch the game in, sometimes running a differnet mode will fix the blank scree, I think like PAL and NTSC or something, you'll have to read the manual to get more information than I can spew. The website has a good faq on it, and the forums has a lot of people talking about how to get games to work as well with a list of games that are known to work.

post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:18 AM

It's been on it's side for a while. Are you talking about the HDAdvance manual? That thing doesn't have much info at all, but I'll look again. What forums are you referring to?
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Wow, they have a version now for the new slim ps2 that will work on USB drives, now thats really cool...

Anyway, http://www.hdadvance.com/modules/newbb/

post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Wow, they have a version now for the new slim ps2 that will work on USB drives, now thats really cool...

good info, thanks

turns out that 2 of the 5 games I have don't work LOL
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 05:24 PM

Quote:

the link didnt work for me
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean99SS
the link didnt work for me
The links changed:

http://forum.hdadvance.com/modules/newbb/

post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Raiden Wins

Since HD Advance's website/forums are a little messed up, I usually just look at the PS2hd compatibility list now.

http://www.ps2hd.com/list.php

After buying HD Advance and reading a little more though, I've found out that you can do all this using some kind of memory card exploit. Also if your PS2 is having trouble ripping a game, you should try using your PC to put the image on your HD so you don't wear out that weak PS2 laser.
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Is that a Fobra?

Anyword if this will set off the filters they use for online play making you unable to play online? (DNAS) My ps2 already has the HD in it and it is useless, the ps2 doesn't even use it other then to back up my memory card and store Finaly Fantasy which sucked.

1994 Mustang Cobra Black
1995 Mustang Cobra Rio Red *RIP*
1999 Ford Ranger
post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Raiden Wins

You can't play DNAS online games off the hard drive.
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 07:41 PM
Is that a Fobra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by def1eppard
You can't play DNAS online games off the hard drive.
Yah but does the DNAS scan the stuff on the harddrive or anything with the way the HD boots up diffrent for the hdloader (or similar program) and reject you for online play?

1994 Mustang Cobra Black
1995 Mustang Cobra Rio Red *RIP*
1999 Ford Ranger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement