I think I caught a virus ... any ideas? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Boost is Life

I think I caught a virus ... any ideas?

My laptop started acting really strange the other day, but all virus scans run clean and I can't find anything online with the symptoms I'm having. Basically when I start the laptop and click on the "start menu" it only stays open for half a second before closing. It's so fast I can't click on anything. Does the same thing with Internet Explorer and my favorites. It sometimes randomly erases what I'm typing, and the shift key doesn't work with some letters and does with others I've found that if I hit ctl-alt-del to see what processes are running it stops and my computer works fine for a bit, but it eventually comes back after 15 minutes or so. Any ideas? I'm almost to the point of formating and reinstalling it's pissing me off so bad.

Thanks
Damon

DamonH
2006 F150 SCrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 03:26 PM
Lifer

Assume you are running XP? The symptoms are strange enough. If the machine is patched to current, and you have already scanned for virus and spyware I would try running the 'msconfig' applet. You want to look and see what is loading under the 'startup' tab. Uncheck any of the executables you cant identify or any that mysteriously are missing a startup item name, command or location. Reboot and see if that removes the problem

Theres always System Restore if you are fairly certain of when it started doing this
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Boost is Life

Yep, using XP. All patches should be up to date. I tried msconfig and unchecked pretty much everything in startup, but that didn't seem to help. I already tried to move to an earlier restore point, and it had no affect. I might try an earlier restore point though and see if that helps.

Thanks for the advice
Damon

DamonH
2006 F150 SCrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement