uh oh..xp and millenium are fighting - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

uh oh..xp and millenium are fighting

I think I hosed my Shi^ up...

Built a box, because the old one was jsut ghetto. in the nex box......well, it was an old box, but in any case....there was an old 30 gig hd, so i added it to the mix. Got it booted up, it could see both drives. Noticed I had a few games on the millenium drive I hadnt played in forever, but they wouldnt run in xp. This is where the problem began.....

I decided i wanted to play said games. Changed the BIOS settings to boot from the millenium drive. When I restarted, I got a lsass error, and it would jsut shut down right after the xp gui started. tried to change it back, doesnt work

at this point, it now starts...after doing a sys restore in millenium back to 2001. If I try to switch the drives back, thru bios settings, or physically, i get a disk failure error. now, it does see both drives in the bios, and if i am in ME, I can see both drives, and access all files. Did I hose the XP registry or boot files when I attempted to boot in ME the first time?

the really crappy thing? I still cant even play the damn games, because i have no drivers for my vid card......i cant install them because the old cd rom got dropped in the building process, and its no good.

suggestions? I was thinking I need to jsut buy another CD drive, and reinstall XP as an upgrade on millenium....

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 02:39 AM
KEK

I don't know what to do, honestly. But I'd install Win2K instead of those other two POS.

03 Oxford White Cobra.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by f0ur sixer
I don't know what to do, honestly. But I'd install Win2K instead of those other two POS.

There are some games that W2K wont play that XP does. when I installed them, ended up with major virtual driver issues.....totally hosed my system
Also, I like the wireless networking features offered in XP...and as a home system, I just have no need for 2K...XP runs much faster, imho, too.

thanks for the reply though.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 11:19 AM
not exclude

That's what you get for even touching ME!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 04:35 PM

lsass is normally a virus, google it if you can, dual booting xp and me can be tricky if not done right. What type of file partitions do you have? I assume the ME drive was FAT32, was the xp drive fat32 or ntfs? If its ntfs windows me will recognize it but most times won't be able to pull info from it. Long and short, from what you are describing, your hosed, pull all data you can and fdisk.
What video card do you have? Normally you can find all drivers online.
If its a nvidia chipset based card, just go get the drivers directly from Nvidia, just look up the chipset that your card is based off of and download those drivers.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 04:38 PM
not exclude

Oh yeah, forgot about that. If it is prompting you with the "Windows has encountered an error and will shut down in: X seconds" then it is very likely a virus, blaster, sasser or an affiliate.

Last edited by exlude; 12-30-2004 at 05:08 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 06:05 PM
Lifer

if that message is the result of a virus, you can abort the shutdown by popping up a command prompt and typing 'shutdown -a'

The '-a' switch will abort a system shutdown already in progress. Back when that virus hit I was surprised at the number of people that didnt know that
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 06:12 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyler
if that message is the result of a virus, you can abort the shutdown by popping up a command prompt and typing 'shutdown -a'

The '-a' switch will abort a system shutdown already in progress. Back when that virus hit I was surprised at the number of people that didnt know that
Yeah, a funny trick that I did BEFORE I knew about that:

I opened the Window's clock and set it back a couple of hours.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 06:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice
lsass is normally a virus, google it if you can,
lsass or lsass.exe is NOT a virus its the Local Security Authority Service.

However misspellings of it like lssas(.exe) or lass(.exe) are virus's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement