Price on new video card for my Inspiron? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2004, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Price on new video card for my Inspiron?

The pins broke on my Video card for my Inspiron notebook and was wanting to know the best place to pick up a new video card for it...It has a 64mb card in it right now so how much should I look at paying for a new one?

Cody

97 Camaro SS
Hypertech programmer, K & N, lightweight RR's
Just another slow LT1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 12:41 PM
Time Served

Pricewatch

www.pricewatch.com even Fry's doesnt beat the prices, you should be able to find anything on that site if it still exists.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 01:25 PM
not exclude

Be careful on pricewatch though, lots of shitty dealers on there. Just got done with a nice runaround from partspc.com who I found on pricewatch.

More recently, I have been willing to spend 10 or so dollars more at outpost.com or newegg.com to avoid shit like what I had with partspc.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Laptop video cards are a different breed of card than whats in a CPU correct? I did a search and came up with nothing...

97 Camaro SS
Just another slow LT1
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 01:25 AM
Time Served

Your laptop video card is most likely built into the motherboard and can't be replaced by itself. You would have to replace the motherboard.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 01:37 PM
El Camino

laptop video cards arent usually upgradeable. Some might let you add more video memory. your most likely stuck with it unless you want to get a new laptop. About the only thing you can easily upgrade on a laptop is memory and hard drive.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 11:47 PM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmh165638
Your laptop video card is most likely built into the motherboard and can't be replaced by itself. You would have to replace the motherboard.
That's what I was thinking.

I just replaced the motherboard on my old dell latitude for $80 off of ebay. Dell wanted $580 for a refurbished one (i've already had two of those from the original dell warranty). Saves me from having to shell out for a new laptop at christmas time.

I think I may buy another spare motherboard and LCD display from ebay just to have on hand for when my laptop breaks down (yet again).
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 11:55 PM
duh...duh....duh

The Inspiron 8000, 8100 and 8200 were indeed upgradable. But when they came out with the new models a couple of years ago - I quit keeping track. What "Inspiron" do you have? As of now it is way to vague.

The models I mentioned above, it was just a matter of pulling the keyboard, ganking a few screws to swap the cards and putting it back together. Back when I bought a Geforce4 to replaced the Geforce 2, it cost my 139 dollars from Dell "parts" department.

Take care

My '03 Sold.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 12:09 AM
Lifer

the best video card for laptops are the radeon mobility 9700 series. or so ive seen. but as for price and all that i dont know

95' Red Mustang GT.

Slow.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

I've got the 8100 Inspiron and it does look like its upgradeable...Currently it has a Radeon 64mb card but I havent found one of those on Ebay...I did,however, find a 64MB GeForce Video Card but Im not sure it will work..Does it matter if it's a Radeon or Geforce? I can pick this one up for around $150...

Cody

97 Camaro SS
Just another slow LT1
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 09:22 AM
duh...duh....duh

The 8100 can be swapped. Technically the Geforce (64 meg version) is the best you can get for your laptop. The ATI cards (64 meg flavor) made for them were the 2nd best and Geforce 2 (16 or 32) were the 3rd best.

I really wish I could get to ebay here, I'd look at the links. You can either get them off Ebay, or order it from Dell. On second thought, Dell likely does not carry those cards anymore.

If you can post pictures of what your buying/or looking at, I should be able to confirm if it is right. BTW, I had an 8100 and swapped the GF2 for the GF4. No sweat, using Inspiron 8200 graphics drivers off dell.com. I later used Omega drivers, since I do use it for gaming. Be prepared though, your Dell WILL run hotter with a GF4 in it.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Ebay wont allow me to hyperlink the pics but the card itself is fairly small looking. The ebay auction states...NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go for Inspiron 8100,8200 NEW..Im not too experienced with working on laptops, so would this be a job for me? I bet a repair shop would want $75 per hr labor..

Thanks guys...

Cody

97 Camaro SS
Just another slow LT1
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

97 Camaro SS
Just another slow LT1
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 12:39 PM
Lifer

well if u are only talking of the 64 mb versions then ur claim that the geforce one is better than the radeon might be true.

as for being better than the top radeon i do believe u are wrong.

95' Red Mustang GT.

Slow.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 10:20 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994SilverGT
well if u are only talking of the 64 mb versions then ur claim that the geforce one is better than the radeon might be true.

as for being better than the top radeon i do believe u are wrong.
I am talking about the technology from like 3 years ago. Specifically the cards they used in the 8000, 8100 and 8200. There was no "top radeon" for those models. They moved to the 8600 which was completely different then the older models.

97 Red SS - I can't tell from that picture. Swapping the cards is not hard.

Ceyko

My '03 Sold.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Lifer

ah well i was merely saying what i know of the mobil cards. i dont know mucha bout these notebooks

95' Red Mustang GT.

Slow.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 11:26 PM
duh...duh....duh

silverGT,
These days the card wars are different. For the older Inspirons the Nvidia cards were better then the Radeon. I used to know the details, but can't remember.

Red SS, the more I think about this, the more I think you should really do some research. Go to dell.com, support and sign up for a login. Use the forums on that board and do a search for "Geforce 4 8100 installation" A bagillion hits will come up and you'll learn a lot of the details. The Geforce 4 was never a card that came with the 8100, so it is an unsupported install. You could just get a card that was supposed to be in there and be done with it. Otherwise, get a new lappy.

Either way, research to poo out of it. Because there is basically no support for it and I don't want you trying to hold me liable for it. I know it works, but you have to do it right. If I were in the states, I'd get it working for you to same you time and money. However, I don't even know if the 8100 is supported by Dell to be honest.

Take care

My '03 Sold.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Welps..I went out on a limb and purchased the GeForce off Ebay...Hopefully it will work, and if not, it'll be back up on Ebay...

Currently, I have all the drivers setup for the Radeon Card...I have no way to delete those off the laptop and load the software for the GeForce until I have a video card...You guys think I'll be able to get a picture where I can load all my software?

Appreciate all the help!

Cody

97 Camaro SS
Just another slow LT1
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Getting there....

Good news...Took me 3mins to swap out the video cards and Ive got a good picture...Only problem I'm having is I can't get the video controller to show up in the Device Manager I've downloaded the Bios Upgrade and the video driver off of Dell's website and still no luck...The video card is showing up in the BIOS though....

Cody
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Working 100% now! I just had to DL a newer Driver Version found on this site...
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

Thanks again guys! Couldnt have done it w/o ya'll...Only out $160 for the video card also

Cody

97 Camaro SS
Just another slow LT1
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 11:57 PM
duh...duh....duh

Good job, glad to hear it went well! It is one of those deals where it is not hard at all, but if you don't do it right...it won't work.

Take care

My '03 Sold.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Different question....

Sry to bring this up from the dead but I thought it would be appropiate to ask my question in this thread since the laptop model is alrdy known...

Currently I have 256MB memory in my Lappy and I was wondering if I could upgrade and if so, how much? I located a 128mb and 256 mb stick on Ebay for my model and I wasnt sure if I could expand 256mb...Would it be worth it to upgrade my memory?

Thanks

Cody

97 Camaro SS
Just another slow LT1
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 10:05 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
Be careful on pricewatch though, lots of shitty dealers on there. Just got done with a nice runaround from partspc.com who I found on pricewatch.

More recently, I have been willing to spend 10 or so dollars more at outpost.com or newegg.com to avoid shit like what I had with partspc.
My thought's exactly, and why I don't even bother looking at Pricewatch anymore.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement