my bad luck - now I need new 2 PC's - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

my bad luck - now I need 2 new PC's

ok, I credit myself with being pretty savvy when it comes to building and/or troubleshooting PC hardware issues. Maybe I've been bad this year? Here's the story:

I build a cheap AMD 2200 system for my son. Its got a basic ECS board in it but its stable and ready for him to PU. The day he shows up, the onboard audio quits working. Checked CMOS, onboard jumpers, etc, the built-on AC97 chipset audio is DEAD. Just to get the machine out the door I put a SB sound card in and she is good to go. Last boot before we close it up and POOF! a small puff of smoke. The PC is now dead. After further testing we determined the PS was fried. It had some crispy critters inside but I digress; anyhow we buy a new PS and put it in and nothing. Damn it all. I am never going to get rid of this thing. Here is where things take a real turn for the worse. I decide to test the CPU by placing it my girlfriends AMD1700 system. I place the chip in, install the fan, power it up and get nothing. Hmmm....a bad PS AND a CPU??? What are the chances of that? My experience with component failures has indicated that in 9/10 cases, only one item is faulty. Going forward with the assumption that my sons CPU and PS were bad I decide to put my girlfriends old CPU back in and call it a day. What do you think I get? Nothing. No POST beeps, no video out, no nothing. I recheck it, reseat her CPU, the memory and nothing. I now have successfully taken a second machine out of service.

I know the above method is crude but has always worked for me. What would you have done different?

Last edited by miketyler; 12-24-2004 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 02:19 PM

the only thing different.. I would not of used a second machine to test unless i did not use the second machine... that crap sucks... hopefully everything works out.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 02:48 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

So you placed a 2200 althon into a 1700althon mobo? Something right there doesn't sound right.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
So you placed a 2200 althon into a 1700althon mobo? Something right there doesn't sound right.

Id think so too.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

The MB is jumperless and autosensing and supports a range of an AMD1200 up to an AMD 2500.

What doesnt sound right about that?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 05:27 PM

Did ya buy the parts at Fry's?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

no, these were systems bought elsewhere and were purchased so long ago that they are outside any warranty.

I found an AthlonXP 1600 CPU and MB for $49 online and will probably go with that. After all this however, I am not sure I want to reuse the memory in the new systems.

I have never seen such destructive results when swapping questionable components.

Last edited by miketyler; 12-24-2004 at 05:49 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 06:55 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyler
The MB is jumperless and autosensing and supports a range of an AMD1200 up to an AMD 2500.

What doesnt sound right about that?

Didn't know about that part.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
Didn't know about that part.

most athlon boards support a wide range of athlon chips.. mine supports 1200 all the way to a 2400.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 03:14 PM

hmmmmm my best advice, from personal exp. also. Dont swap things .
I lost 2 HDs that way.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
hmmmmm my best advice, from personal exp. also. Dont swap things
I don't see how one could do any effective troubleshooting without removing components and trying them in a working system. Unless you just scrap the entire system and start over with all new parts.

I am still confident with my diagnostic methods but wasn't sure that I might not have missed something. I don't build PC's as often these days and just needed a reality check.

As I said previous, most system failures I have seen are the result of a single component failure. It would be unusual to have multiple items fail at once or have a single failure take out several components save perhaps those external occurences such as lightning strikes, power surges, or brownouts.

To have a dead component take out a known-good component? Well I put that right up there with a royal flush or a hole in one.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 10:07 PM

Haha well more power to you I was just saying from personal exp. ya know? I just have had bad luck in the past and try to to swap things when not needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement