networking 2 computers, need help (kind of long) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

networking 2 computers, need help (kind of long)

Ok guys I'm hoping that someone has done this before. I don't want to buy a router because I found out that I should just be able to use a crossover cable and connect the two computers together. (go to the last two paragraphs if you want to skip the crap)

So this is what I have and what I've done:

Parents old computer 366mhz computer is hooked through charter cable pipeline. When the internet was set up they hooked it up so only this computer could be directly ported to the modem and other computers had to be routed to this computer. Tried the router, got frustrated, brought it back because summer was over and I was going back down to austin, didn't need the router.

Asked the guy today at bestbuy and said I could just buy another ethernet card hookup a crossover cable to the two computers, set the IP addresses to 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 and have both with mask 255.255.255.0 and have them both on the same workgroup. One computer is running Win98 and mine is running XP, the only thing I have to get is the crossover cable and the main question is...

Has anyone done a LAN with two computers without a router or switch like this and has it worked, or do I have something wrong with the above paragraph. Would be extremely useful, I'm getting my mother a new computer and instead of them switching internet companies so i can get her new computer Online, if this works then she can have it on both.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 09:26 PM

simply put.. a crossover cable can be used to network the two machines together, the ip address you specified above for each will work fine.

To share an internet connection to the second machine requires a little more work, there are two routes that you can take...

1. install a proxy on the host (machine with the internet connection) and configure the second machine to use the proxy.

2. use winders 'internet connection sharing' which is sometimes hard to get going.. and sometimes flaky.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Hmmm

Router would be best, but you took that back. Treystang has it correct, but good luck at getting windows 98 and ICS to work and be stable.

2007 Silverado
2000 KX250
2007 1000RR (Trackwhore) Ohlins rear suspension, Ohlins fork springs, sharkskins race plastics, power one race tires, Repsol wheels, Vortex rearsets, PC3, BMC Race Filters

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

well if all else fails we're going to fire f#ckin' charter, the no-talent assclowns that they are, and get on board with Verizon Fios... Hell yeah, 5mbps up, 2mbps down (we just got a node in keller) for $35
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangcrazy
well if all else fails we're going to fire f#ckin' charter, the no-talent assclowns that they are, and get on board with Verizon Fios... Hell yeah, 5mbps up, 2mbps down (we just got a node in keller) for $35

Verizon Fios??? Do a search on the net.. verizon has fiber in keller... you are looking at 15-20mbs down and 5mbs up.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 12:29 AM

You need to create a Network disk from your XP computer and use it on your 98 pc. This link should expain everything.

http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/1190_1.html
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
Verizon Fios??? Do a search on the net.. verizon has fiber in keller... you are looking at 15-20mbs down and 5mbs up.
FIOS is Verizon's fiber offering (internet, phone and eventually "cable" TV). 2mbits up is what they offer, with 5/15/30 mbits download for different prices. I have the 15mbits/2mbits for $45 and the 5mbits is $35.

Instead of a router, get a hub. $5-10 should get you one, it's worth it. Otherwise you'll spend that money in pain relievers for the headache.

On a second thought, reading your post, get a router...or a hub and then install Linux on that old computer and set it up as a firewall/router/file-/webserver.

Last edited by Sami; 12-23-2004 at 10:22 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Yes, we are right down the street from where the fiber hooks into our neighborhood. $45 for 15mbps and $35 for 5mbps, considering my parents don't use the internet for too much the 5mbps is alot compared to our 1mbps for $40 from charter.

Verizon gives you a free router for a year, if it breaks it's under warranty until the end of the year, after that it's yours and you have to deal with it.

Considering I see that some of you guys must have it, what is the installation like, apparently you can use a hub/switch (which I have and used when my parents had earthlink). But the main thing is, are there any weird fees and stuff like that? My mom doesn't like the charter, but she won't go onto another ISP without me giving her a GOOD reason and knowing all the stuff about the installation, fees, etc...

Help me out Fios guys.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 10:58 AM
Time Served

They will install a power source (mine is in garage) with a backup battery (so your telephone and internet won't go down if there is a power shortage) and a new breaker box outside. Free installation IIRC and no hidden fees, free router (wireless is extra). I am extremely happy, especially about getting 2mbits up.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami
FIOS is Verizon's fiber offering (internet, phone and eventually "cable" TV). 2mbits up is what they offer, with 5/15/30 mbits download for different prices. I have the 15mbits/2mbits for $45 and the 5mbits is $35.

Good stuff.. did not know it was called FIOS?? I wish i lived in keller
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2004, 08:50 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
Good stuff.. did not know it was called FIOS?? I wish i lived in keller
I probably could "survive" with the 5mbits package.

I just downloaded patch for Far Cry, 71MB @ 8Mbits. UbiSoft is a good SW house. Now I need to find time to test the game but that might have to wait until past New Years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement