Browsr's - DFWstangs Forums
View Poll Results: Which Browser to use?
IE 13 32.50%
SBCYahooBrowser 1 2.50%
FireFox 26 65.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

Browsr's

Have XP,which one to use for best security and use. As far as pop ups,I don't get any pop ups right now,I have Norton Security 2005. Let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

sorry guys messed up the last one.here it is
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 03:01 PM
fuckcanada

i voted IE before i knew what the question was.
firefox is the way to go!!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 07:14 PM
El Camino

firefox and IE for sites that require it only

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

Lot of people are leaning toward FireFox. Guess I have to go read about whats so good about FireFox. A guy at work metioned it. Thought I'd ask ya, see what ya think. Keep the advice coming. thanks to ya that voted
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 12:19 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Firefox. I use ie like on dfwstangs, xanga and such.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 05:19 PM
Taliban can SUCK IT!

i use firefox in general but sometimes you still have to use IE to view some items on certin pages

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 09:34 AM
Founding Member

what i hate about firefox is that when you hit the back button it takes you back to the top of the previos page.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 09:38 AM
Full tilt boogie !!

firefox

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 09:49 AM
Lifer

Sounds like IE could be less compatible than Firefox if the plugin patent lawsuit goes through.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesmoke
i use firefox in general but sometimes you still have to use IE to view some items on certin pages
I DL & notice some pages don't work in Firefox, had to dl a plug-in. Instead I just used IE.
Guess it depends what you want to use it for. Security use FireFox--IE for everything else, espeacially it you click on a link that has a video, I have to dl a plug-in for FireFox, but for IE it just plays it. Guess it's one ot those "Whatever works for you".
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 02:32 PM
not exclude

Firefox is nicer than IE, but not nearly as widely supported. So I voted IE.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 07:39 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGt95
I DL & notice some pages don't work in Firefox, had to dl a plug-in. Instead I just used IE.
Guess it depends what you want to use it for. Security use FireFox--IE for everything else, espeacially it you click on a link that has a video, I have to dl a plug-in for FireFox, but for IE it just plays it. Guess it's one ot those "Whatever works for you".
FireFox = ~7 meg download
IE = ~30-60 meg download

It's quite evident IE comes pre-packaged with most of the multimedia plug-ins. I prefer FireFox's method. Do I really need all the plug-ins included with IE? Most likely not. And in the unlikely case that I do, I can just download and install them when I come across the occasional site that I need that particular plug-in for.

In most cases, keeping up to date on audio/video codecs (something you have to do with IE anyway), and having Flash and Shockwave installed... takes care of about 95% of the multimedia content on the web. Flash+Shockwave+FireFox != ~30-60 megs... wtf else is IE installing?!

Flash, Shockwave (look at that, they go to the same company), and FireFox. There's support for 90-95% of the web. The other sites require IE, due to heavy ActiveX requirements (which you can install ActiveX with FireFox... but why the fuck would you want to?! That's one of the major sources of IE's abysmal security flaws.), or some off the wall (and probably spyware riddled) video/audio player, or some other crap ass "browser enhancement".

And while FireFox has Javascript built in, some sites require full blown Java. MS used to make you download their Java VM to get IE with full Java support, now I think they just use Sun's distribution like everyone else. In the event you come across a site using full Java (most mini-game sites have at least some Java games), get Java from here.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Hmmm

Firefox

2007 Silverado
2000 KX250
2007 1000RR (Trackwhore) Ohlins rear suspension, Ohlins fork springs, sharkskins race plastics, power one race tires, Repsol wheels, Vortex rearsets, PC3, BMC Race Filters
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 08:42 PM
98 SVT Cobra

I have a question. Does Firefox have an extension that will allow a person to automatically log into a website. Lets say I want to check my Gmail account. Normally I would have to go to gmail.com and login, well with Slimbrowser (what I use now) I can click on an autologin for Gmail and it will automatically log me in without me having to remember passwords. That is really the only thing keeping me from switching over.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
FireFox = ~7 meg download
IE = ~30-60 meg download

It's quite evident IE comes pre-packaged with most of the multimedia plug-ins. I prefer FireFox's method. Do I really need all the plug-ins included with IE? Most likely not. And in the unlikely case that I do, I can just download and install them when I come across the occasional site that I need that particular plug-in for.

In most cases, keeping up to date on audio/video codecs (something you have to do with IE anyway), and having Flash and Shockwave installed... takes care of about 95% of the multimedia content on the web. Flash+Shockwave+FireFox != ~30-60 megs... wtf else is IE installing?!

Flash, Shockwave (look at that, they go to the same company), and FireFox. There's support for 90-95% of the web. The other sites require IE, due to heavy ActiveX requirements (which you can install ActiveX with FireFox... but why the fuck would you want to?! That's one of the major sources of IE's abysmal security flaws.), or some off the wall (and probably spyware riddled) video/audio player, or some other crap ass "browser enhancement".

And while FireFox has Javascript built in, some sites require full blown Java. MS used to make you download their Java VM to get IE with full Java support, now I think they just use Sun's distribution like everyone else. In the event you come across a site using full Java (most mini-game sites have at least some Java games), get Java from here.

Well said, thanks for that info!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

??? I DL the java from the JAVA SUN site, now when I go to my fantasy league & try to bring up the stat tracker it says that I need IE 5.0 and up or some other program I forgot,anyways. How do I get FireFox to use it.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 09:54 PM
Lifer

I vote firefox because I don't get hardly any popups or spyware, only one virus and attacked maybe 15 times in the last 3 months. I have heavy duty firewall and anti-virus stuff on my computer though since my university fees pay for the liscense

I've only had minor problems with firefox and I've always been able to view a page after going through the options or DL'ing a plugin. Much better than IE crap that microsoft gives us.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 07:36 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog
I have a question. Does Firefox have an extension that will allow a person to automatically log into a website. Lets say I want to check my Gmail account. Normally I would have to go to gmail.com and login, well with Slimbrowser (what I use now) I can click on an autologin for Gmail and it will automatically log me in without me having to remember passwords. That is really the only thing keeping me from switching over.
Yep. I know for certain there's a GMail notifier extension (I'm using it) that will automatically log into gmail periodically and check for new messages. Has the little "M" Gmail icon in the bottom right corner of FireFox (next to my AdBlock hotbutton). If new mail is found, the icon flashes, and you can click on it and it will pull up and log into GMail automatically for you.

I don't know for sure if there's an extension to do that with other sites. FireFox does have the ability to remember passwords and login information, and will just fill in the blanks automatically when you hit a site that has been remembered. Whether there's an extension to automatically "click submit" or whatever, I don't know, it's not something I'd really use so I haven't looked for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGt95
??? I DL the java from the JAVA SUN site, now when I go to my fantasy league & try to bring up the stat tracker it says that I need IE 5.0 and up or some other program I forgot,anyways. How do I get FireFox to use it.
What other program is it saying you need? It might require an additional plugin, not just Java, or it's possible this is one of those few "must have IE" sites. In those cases, IE's already installed on your computer, so there's no harm in using FireFox for your general browsing to avoid IE's problems, and then fire up IE when you happen to hit a site that requires it.

DarkWolf
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 08:03 AM
aka onlya302

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing19
what i hate about firefox is that when you hit the back button it takes you back to the top of the previos page.
This is my only major gripe with Firefox as well.

Chris Johnson

85 Wagen sold
93 Car
01 Truck (now turbocharged, but soon to be TWIN Turbo!)
03 s2k
www.yonsonracing.com
www.southernspeedracing.com

Speed is my drug, there is NO cure!!!

NEXTEL/SPRINT SUCKS!!!
FORD SUCKS!!!
The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later. SUCKS!!!
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 07:19 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlya302
This is my only major gripe with Firefox as well.
Mine doesn't do that

DarkWolf
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 09:44 PM
aka onlya302

Quote:
Mine doesn't do that
So, what's the trick?

Chris Johnson

85 Wagen sold
93 Car
01 Truck (now turbocharged, but soon to be TWIN Turbo!)
03 s2k
www.yonsonracing.com
www.southernspeedracing.com

Speed is my drug, there is NO cure!!!

NEXTEL/SPRINT SUCKS!!!
FORD SUCKS!!!
The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later. SUCKS!!!
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlya302
So, what's the trick?
I'd like to know too
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

Quote:
What other program is it saying you need? It might require an additional plugin, not just Java, or it's possible this is one of those few "must have IE" sites. In those cases, IE's already installed on your computer, so there's no harm in using FireFox for your general browsing to avoid IE's problems, and then fire up IE when you happen to hit a site that requires it.

This is what it says when I try to use Stat Tracker in yahoo. Already DL for IE,didn't know how to migrate it over for Firefox or if there even is a way. So I just DL again but w/FireFox,thinking that would do it. Guess not, still says same thing. So I'm at a loss. I can still use it but it's the old one, Guess I'm stuck using that one or IE's unless you know a trick or 2
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Bite Me!!!

firefox all the way... and i use the ieview plugin and rarely have to use ie for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement