Ya gotta love linksys (long) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
IA2

Talking Ya gotta love linksys (long)

So my wife's company decides to get a laptop to go with their XP desktop system (small office). We went out and found a pretty good deal on a nice laptop. Also picked up a linksys wireless PCI card (for the desktop) to put together a little "adhoc" wireless network in their office for file and print sharing. I had a thread here a week ago asking about wireless networks; ya'll might remember.

So I decided tonight to mock up the network here in my own house before hauling all of the stuff over to the office and finding out it doesnt work.

The first linksys gaffe was the setup disk with the W2K (my test machine is still W2K and not XP) drivers that would not load (code 31). Even the latest drivers off their website wouldn't load. But the ones from microsoft windows update - loaded and worked

So, the two systems "connected" but I never was able to view any of the shares despite my best efforts.

And then the wireless adapter quit working with what seems to be an impossible but quite funny error - nothing i've done will clear it (power cycle, reinstall software, reseat hardware, etc). Guess i'll take it back and try another brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 03:08 AM
Hustlin'

went the ad-hock route then eh? Let me know how that turns out, never worked with that before. If you have a connection that doesn't drop between the 2, chances are good the 2 adapters are communicating between each other and can transfer packets; windows networking troubleshooting should come next.

"Jesus has my heart, but Whiskey has my liver" --Jason Boland
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
IA2

Yeah, that's what I was working on when the "cable" became unplugged Neither machine could ping the other one.

Still, that's a funny error message for a wireless adapter

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 01:15 PM
Yes I'm...

Yeah that's a Windows thing so it happens to all wireless users when they won't connect

BTW, I had a hell of a time with all the Linksys wireless equipment I've tried, which includes several different generations of their routers and a few of their wireless NICs. I now have D-Link and couldn't be happier. I switched after reading an article in PC Magazine where they compared all of the latest routers and NICs. Also have a D-Link wireless USB card and everything syncs up without a fuss, unlike the Linksys (in my experience).

'98 Camaro SS: Incon twin turbo. Sold
'99 Camaro SS: Heads/cam/bolt-ons. Sold.
'91 Camaro RS: Stock.

2010 Camaro SS: Hell yes.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
IA2

I think there may be a return for a d-link card in the near future
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 01:23 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

I've had good luck with D-link stuff but never in an ad hoc environment. Netgear is junk too btw.

My experience with Linksys is having to sit on the phone with tech support for an hour, knowing full well what the problem was. The antenna inside of the router was broken, would not transmit. Only worked within 12" of the router. Their tech support is in India, they barely speak English and are obviously reading from a script. I had to sit through all of their diagnostics only to have them tell me to take the router back, had to get a case number from them though.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 09:01 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

I never had a problem with Linksys. Ive only had problems with D-Shit

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement