Need help w/Wirless Router - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Need help w/Wirless Router

I have a Belkin 2.4ghz 802.11g wireless router & a belkin laptop card

My question is or my problem is that at 2-3ft my signal strenght is about 2/3's strong and once I leave the room around the corner about 10 ft away I lose connection or "signal" to router. Is this normal or is something defective ? I figured I would be able to at least go around the house w/ no problems of connection or signal strength .

Any help is appreciated

Thanks John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 08:17 PM
Hmmm

You should be able to go easily throughout your house.. do you have any devices that could be causing interference ?

2007 Silverado
2000 KX250
2007 1000RR (Trackwhore) Ohlins rear suspension, Ohlins fork springs, sharkskins race plastics, power one race tires, Repsol wheels, Vortex rearsets, PC3, BMC Race Filters
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

maybe just a celphone, cordless home phone, thats about it ..

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Hmmm

just for kicks.. unplug your cordless and see if the signal improves @ all.. doubt it will .. be easy to try..

2007 Silverado
2000 KX250
2007 1000RR (Trackwhore) Ohlins rear suspension, Ohlins fork springs, sharkskins race plastics, power one race tires, Repsol wheels, Vortex rearsets, PC3, BMC Race Filters
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

tried it and no better signal that before
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 08:26 PM
Hmmm

You can try entering in the mac address from your laptop into the router. 192.168.2.1 , make sure you have the latest firmware..

2007 Silverado
2000 KX250
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 09:11 PM
Lifer

Are your walls concrete?

Do you have the power set all the way up in the wireless router setup?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

how do I set the power up all the way .. I checked for something like that on the router but no luck finding it ..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcsStang
how do I set the power up all the way .. I checked for something like that on the router but no luck finding it ..
It should be in the config somewhere unless they have it hard coded to be full. If you dont see it anywhere then thats probably what they did. You might want to change the Channels to see if that helps any.

Also is your laptop card connecting as b or g? You might want to set your AP to "g" only, default is mixed mode which accepts "b" or "g", thats if you dont have any "b" devices. Check the documentation HERE on how to do that.

Other than that hook it up to a "widdow maker" and take it back for a refund or buy a different brand.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Lifer

Most wireless router/NIC combos work very well right out of the box. Really surprised to hear that this isnt working out for you especially with matched components.

Assume thruput is ok to your router when you are wired direct? If not, is probably an issue with the router. Reboot it or upgrade firmware are the usual fixes. It should be smokin' fast wireless or otherwise. I could go five houses down with my old 802.11b Dlink router and could surf at an acceptable speed.

Have you jacked around with the security settings? As a test, try turning off WEP for a short period. You will take a bit of a performance hit with WEP enabled but in most cases, it should be negligible.

Some first gen wireless cards had the ability to reduce the transfer rate. I dont know if yours does or not but if it does, try reducing from whatever it is set at to 1/2 of that. The manufacturers say that only 3-5MB/s is needed for web browsing.

How about your antennas on the router? Try placing it in a different area or at least rotating it or elevating it.

You could take your laptop to a Starbucks or a friends with wireless access and test it there just to eliminate the NIC from the equation

good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement