Citrix Guru's....Jump on in - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Back To Normal

Citrix Guru's....Jump on in

I need help finding a hack for citrix. In this instace I have multiple citrix instances running per machine. I would like to prevent this from happening.

I know you can set application limits to only allow one instance of an application for each user.....but USER is the operative word. This is not my network and they have all the machines logging on with the same username and password.

So, I want to know if there is a hack that will look for multiple instances open on the client name instead of username. Can anyone help me out?

TIA
Justin

Texan By Birth, Techsan By Choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Hmmm

I use citrix to remote access my customers pcs to fix them.. but I dont know any hacks

2007 Silverado
2000 KX250
2007 1000RR (Trackwhore) Ohlins rear suspension, Ohlins fork springs, sharkskins race plastics, power one race tires, Repsol wheels, Vortex rearsets, PC3, BMC Race Filters
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001 GT
I need help finding a hack for citrix. In this instace I have multiple citrix instances running per machine. I would like to prevent this from happening.

I know you can set application limits to only allow one instance of an application for each user.....but USER is the operative word. This is not my network and they have all the machines logging on with the same username and password.

So, I want to know if there is a hack that will look for multiple instances open on the client name instead of username. Can anyone help me out?

TIA
Justin
can you calrify what you mean by multiple citrix instances? Do you mean you have multiple connections to a server going and want to disable that??

Or do you mean the lient is actually running 3-4 instances on the client??

EDIT: Also, your network or not.. you need to let whoever know they need to ditch the one username one pass shit real quick.

EDIT2: Ok last edit... might want to explain what is happening as well and why you need to resolve it.. it might help with possible solutions.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 10:10 PM
El Camino

I'll run this one past our citrix guru and see if he has any ideas. What version are you running on the server side?

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Back To Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
can you calrify what you mean by multiple citrix instances? Do you mean you have multiple connections to a server going and want to disable that??

Or do you mean the lient is actually running 3-4 instances on the client??

There is a single application published in these clients CNN. The client operators are not paying attention and clicking the .exe when there is already an instance of the app running.

EDIT: Also, your network or not.. you need to let whoever know they need to ditch the one username one pass shit real quick.

Trust me I know what you mean. I have tried to explain to them many times what kind of issues this could cause but hey wont listen.

EDIT2: Ok last edit... might want to explain what is happening as well and why you need to resolve it.. it might help with possible solutions.

This is a problem because my software(what is published) is a third party application that requires a user logon which in turn holds the user accountable for every thing that is entered under his/her name.

All of these computers are shared department wide. So if multiple instances of my program are open on a single machine and all minimized in the taskbar....these people do not know enough about computers to know which instance is the one that they initiated and logged into....so they could click the first one they see (which could be someone else instance) and start documenting away. Which would cause documentation under someone elses name.

Now I do have a time out on my applicaiton but it is set for 15 minutes per the client prodject managers request.

So I want to limit the ammont of sessions a single computer can initiate since the clients are all using the same username and password to log in. Which the username/password problem rules out the simple solution that citrix has built in.

In other words I need to limit application instances by machine name instead of user logon name.

They are using version 7. I hope this all makes sense guys. Its kinda late and I'm a little tired. But as I'm sure you all know you can never tell another guy how to run his enterprise. You can only offer solutions and hope he listens. But they just wont accept the username change.....so I am trying to find another way.

Thank for any help.
-Justin

Texan By Birth, Techsan By Choice.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001 GT
They are using version 7. I hope this all makes sense guys. Its kinda late and I'm a little tired. But as I'm sure you all know you can never tell another guy how to run his enterprise. You can only offer solutions and hope he listens. But they just wont accept the username change.....so I am trying to find another way.

Thank for any help.
-Justin

Justin -

I think you are sol... I spoke with my citrix gurus at work.. they do not know of away to setup restrictions like you are wanting.. I dont know what the setup is, or how you are involved.. but it sounds as though the issue could be resolved with everyone having a seperate username and password.. I just cant comprehend the fact that some comapny allows everyone to have the same username and pass to an application that sounds like it is somewhat important or mission critical.

Worst case, tell him/them you have offered a soltution if they do not like seek a second opinion. Sometimes tough situations require tough descions.. good luck!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 11:52 PM
El Camino

thats scares the crap out of me that people would use a single username/password for an app. Why the hell even have a password?

That is wrong on so many levels. Sorry this bugs me coming from a security background.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement