Anyone know whats wrong with my PS2?? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Marcus Aurelius

Anyone know whats wrong with my PS2??

Lately it's been making some noises when i first turn it on, but then once the game starts loading it'll stop.

Then every once in a while it would start making the noise while I was playing my game and the game would freeze. Then screen would go black and say "Cannot read GTA:SA disc" or something to that effect. I would just reset it start again.

Last week it did that again so I turned off the PS2 and didn't turn it back on until the next day but once I did turn it back on, it wouldn't read the disc. I tried a couple of other games, DVDs, and CDs and it won't read anything.

I went to get a cleaner disc for CD/DVD players thinking that would help, but all the cleaners said "not for use on gaming systems"

Anyone have any idea about what is going on and how to fix it?

I'm a few gang areas and one mission away from beating the game!! This sucks!!

--Marcus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 01:30 PM
Lifer

my cat threw up in ours once because he was mad and wanted attention. Took a toothbrush, a soft cloth damp cloth and water to clean it out. Everything worked great afterward.

Some people are like Slinkies- Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Lifer

send it to sony they will fix it for free

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 01:36 PM
[x] original checkboxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattv
send it to sony they will fix it for free
Put the crack pipe down.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 02:09 PM
Raiden Wins

Yeah, you'll have to pay for shipping both ways and like a fixed priced....AKA you get ripped off by Sony....again.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Marcus Aurelius

I highly doubt Sony will fix it for free. It's 2 years old and way out of warranty. Not to mention the "Do not remove this label or your warranty will be voided" sticker has been taken off.

I pulled the thing apart and tried to clean the laser lens per some instructions I found online, but it still isn't reading any discs I put in.

--Marcus
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 09:01 PM
Big Fundamental

I'm about to buy one of these for my PS2 that's doing the same thing. It's the whole drive mech with the laser in it already calibrated and ready to bolt in. It's cheaper than buying a new one.

http://www.videogamerepair.com/cgi-b...ml?p_prodid=68

Scott
1990 Bright Red Mustang LX hatch

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1 - Gone
2001 Silver SVT Cobra - Gone
2006 Ford Fusion SE - Dadmobile
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Timmay

check your fan and make sure it isn't burned out
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Marcus Aurelius

it made some noise that sounded like it might be the fan, but why would a bad fan cause it not to read a disc?

--Marcus
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 10:29 PM

My friend bought a used PS2 from a garage sale for like $20... so naturally we were skeptical. Sure enough, it woulnd't read PS2 discs, but it would read regular DVD's. We ended up having to take it apart and adjust the height of the laser w/ a tiny pin or something. I'm sure you can find instructions online, but that might be what's wrong with it. Good luck!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 01:06 AM

Hey,
If that dont work take a few q-tips get some rubbing alcohol or go to radio shack & get some contact cleaner.(rubbing alcohol is cheaper)Take a q-tip and dip it into the alcohol.Take the q-tip and gently rub it around all the contact points and around the laser...Just my .02 cents.....
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry80
My friend bought a used PS2 from a garage sale for like $20... so naturally we were skeptical. Sure enough, it woulnd't read PS2 discs, but it would read regular DVD's. We ended up having to take it apart and adjust the height of the laser w/ a tiny pin or something. I'm sure you can find instructions online, but that might be what's wrong with it. Good luck!
Damn for 20 bux thats still a hell of a deal..
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 01:29 AM
Get Some!! Get some!!

I had the same problem, mine was out of warranty just barely. A friend of mine had the same problem, so he called sony and complained they said it was a driver issue they told him to send it in, 2 weeks later they sent him a new one. He said if you call and bitch enough they will respond either by repair or a new one sent. So I called and complained and told them that i know alot of people with the same issues, they told me to send it in and the repairs are free even out of warranty. I asked the guy are you sure I won't be billed and he emailed me a confirmation with a code# referencing that I will not be charged, he also said that they have been getting alot of complaints on this issue. try it out I got mine back 3 weeks later and have not had a problem since and its been a year now.

Looking for ANY A&P openings in the DFW area!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 11:23 PM
Time Served

i bought one when it first came out paid $299 from walmart later it started the not read disc, so i call sony paid $130 to repair about 6 months later it started it again call sony they sent me a refurb now it doesnt work tryed to get the new slim one guess what nobody has them and no store knows when they will get anymore. are the problems with ps2 and they wait to get the new slim line really worth the wait? maybe get rid of all the ps2 shit play the computer its the only thing that works

http://www.fastmustangs.com/RaysGallery.html
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 08:05 PM
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Sounds to me like your ps2 went the way of the DRE. May have to get another one, or suck it up and send it in to get it fixed.

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement