WinXP command to determine who is logged in? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1
 
Kenny_Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Funky Town
Posts: 10,592
WinXP command to determine who is logged in?

Is there a command you can run off the command prompt in WinXP to determine who is logged into a computer over the network?

I can run nbtstat -s [computer name] and get an IP and MAC address, but I want a user name if possible.

.
Kenny_Stang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 07:58 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
Is there a command you can run off the command prompt in WinXP to determine who is logged into a computer over the network?

I can run nbtstat -s [computer name] and get an IP and MAC address, but I want a user name if possible.

net user
trey85stang is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1
 
Kenny_Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Funky Town
Posts: 10,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
net user
Not sure if that will work, and if so what is the syntax for it. If i just type net user I get the user accounts that are on the local machine, but not any domain user accounts. Basically I want a command I can execute from my system, point it to a ceratin IP or Computer Name and it will tell me who is logged into that system currently. Anything like that?

.
Kenny_Stang is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 09:29 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
Not sure if that will work, and if so what is the syntax for it. If i just type net user I get the user accounts that are on the local machine, but not any domain user accounts. Basically I want a command I can execute from my system, point it to a ceratin IP or Computer Name and it will tell me who is logged into that system currently. Anything like that?

dont know about that one... but I thought net user would give domain users that were logged in remotley?? maybe not then? net user only works from the local machine, I dont think windows realy has any command line utils for checking connected users from one machine on a remote machine.

I am unsure of any other winders commands.
trey85stang is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 11:15 AM
El Camino
 
Stang2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: in front of the keyboard
Posts: 3,432
are you talking about an AD domain environment or just over the internet? Most tools along those lines woulc require you having admin rights to the target host.

I can't think of anything off hand but there are some ways to get an idea who is logged in.

\\hostname\c$\documents and settings\ and then look at the folders there for the users that have logged in and see the time stamp on the folder.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Stang2be is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1
 
Kenny_Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Funky Town
Posts: 10,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be
are you talking about an AD domain environment or just over the internet? Most tools along those lines woulc require you having admin rights to the target host.

I can't think of anything off hand but there are some ways to get an idea who is logged in.

\\hostname\c$\documents and settings\ and then look at the folders there for the users that have logged in and see the time stamp on the folder.
Yes this is an AD environment, and I am a admin on all machines on the network. I could do what you said above, but was looking for an easier way to be honest with you. I have DameWare on my system and I can more or less get the info I need from that, but it takes a little digging.

.
Kenny_Stang is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 09:52 PM
El Camino
 
Stang2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: in front of the keyboard
Posts: 3,432
sorry was just checking. never can tell if someone is just trying to get into someone elses box.

I'll see if I can come up with any other ideas. might get lucky and find someone that has written a vb script to do what your wanting.


2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Stang2be is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 10:03 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
Yes this is an AD environment, and I am a admin on all machines on the network. I could do what you said above, but was looking for an easier way to be honest with you. I have DameWare on my system and I can more or less get the info I need from that, but it takes a little digging.
with what stang2be mentioned above... HAve you talked to that NT guy that used to sit in the office behind me?? I forget his name.. but he had all kinds of vb scripts doing stuff like what you are wanting.. might check with him and see if he has anything.
trey85stang is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 12:12 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: At the Dexter Lake Club
Posts: 12,422
I know on win2k the clipboard viewer used to be useful in telling who was on machines, assuming they used cut and paste. I'm not sure you can even use it with XP though. We used to have some people that knew the net send command, it was annoying as hell until I'd figure out who it was and nail them with paper wads.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
BP is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 08:20 AM
El Camino
 
Stang2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: in front of the keyboard
Posts: 3,432
Thats why you disable command prompt in group policies

Knocks out a lot of possible troubles.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Stang2be is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome