WinXP command to determine who is logged in? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

WinXP command to determine who is logged in?

Is there a command you can run off the command prompt in WinXP to determine who is logged into a computer over the network?

I can run nbtstat -s [computer name] and get an IP and MAC address, but I want a user name if possible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
Is there a command you can run off the command prompt in WinXP to determine who is logged into a computer over the network?

I can run nbtstat -s [computer name] and get an IP and MAC address, but I want a user name if possible.

net user
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
net user
Not sure if that will work, and if so what is the syntax for it. If i just type net user I get the user accounts that are on the local machine, but not any domain user accounts. Basically I want a command I can execute from my system, point it to a ceratin IP or Computer Name and it will tell me who is logged into that system currently. Anything like that?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Not sure if that will work, and if so what is the syntax for it. If i just type net user I get the user accounts that are on the local machine, but not any domain user accounts. Basically I want a command I can execute from my system, point it to a ceratin IP or Computer Name and it will tell me who is logged into that system currently. Anything like that?

dont know about that one... but I thought net user would give domain users that were logged in remotley?? maybe not then? net user only works from the local machine, I dont think windows realy has any command line utils for checking connected users from one machine on a remote machine.

I am unsure of any other winders commands.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 11:15 AM
El Camino

are you talking about an AD domain environment or just over the internet? Most tools along those lines woulc require you having admin rights to the target host.

I can't think of anything off hand but there are some ways to get an idea who is logged in.

\\hostname\c$\documents and settings\ and then look at the folders there for the users that have logged in and see the time stamp on the folder.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be
are you talking about an AD domain environment or just over the internet? Most tools along those lines woulc require you having admin rights to the target host.

I can't think of anything off hand but there are some ways to get an idea who is logged in.

\\hostname\c$\documents and settings\ and then look at the folders there for the users that have logged in and see the time stamp on the folder.
Yes this is an AD environment, and I am a admin on all machines on the network. I could do what you said above, but was looking for an easier way to be honest with you. I have DameWare on my system and I can more or less get the info I need from that, but it takes a little digging.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 09:52 PM
El Camino

sorry was just checking. never can tell if someone is just trying to get into someone elses box.

I'll see if I can come up with any other ideas. might get lucky and find someone that has written a vb script to do what your wanting.

Quote:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Yes this is an AD environment, and I am a admin on all machines on the network. I could do what you said above, but was looking for an easier way to be honest with you. I have DameWare on my system and I can more or less get the info I need from that, but it takes a little digging.
with what stang2be mentioned above... HAve you talked to that NT guy that used to sit in the office behind me?? I forget his name.. but he had all kinds of vb scripts doing stuff like what you are wanting.. might check with him and see if he has anything.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 12:12 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

I know on win2k the clipboard viewer used to be useful in telling who was on machines, assuming they used cut and paste. I'm not sure you can even use it with XP though. We used to have some people that knew the net send command, it was annoying as hell until I'd figure out who it was and nail them with paper wads.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 08:20 AM
El Camino

Thats why you disable command prompt in group policies

Knocks out a lot of possible troubles.

Quote: