The death of Winamp ... f*ck AOL - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Angry The death of Winamp ... f*ck AOL

So apparently AOL bought Winamp back in 1999. That'd explain why Winamp 3 sucked so much ass. The original designer stuck around long enough to finish 5 (and bring Winamp back to the good that it used to be), but now he's had enough of AOL and has quit (along with all of the original design team).

Fucking AOL ... buying up everything that's good, and shitting on it. I can't wait to see Winamp turn into yet another Musicmatch Jukebox Hell, it already started going that way with version 3.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 03:44 AM
Lifer

shit, every computer i put winamp on, freezes when using it.

i like the functionality of it, but it stops recognizing media and gives me all sorts of shit.

this is the most current version, i think 5.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 03:59 AM
Hustlin'

Oh god no

"Jesus has my heart, but Whiskey has my liver" --Jason Boland

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 07:40 AM
98 SVT Cobra

I read about this a few days ago. Hopfully the design team will reemerge and bring us something better.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 12:01 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

What are the advantages of Winamp over windows media player? I've used it but never saw any reason to switch.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 12:44 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Internet newbs... Winamp isnt going under.

http://www.winamp.com/about/article.php?aid=10627

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
Internet newbs... Winamp isnt going under.

http://www.winamp.com/about/article.php?aid=10627
I didn't say it was going under. I said it's dead. As in an empty husk, a shadow of the greatness that it used to be.

Now that the original design team is gone, it's AOL hired designers in their place ... which means Winamp will now be host to all sorts of nice spyware ... oh but they'll still offer Winamp Pro if you want to not have to worry about all those nasty ads and spyware.

Winamp will now be just another annoying Musicmatch Jukebox. Oh fun.

I've got 5.0.3, and because it works perfectly, I see no reason to upgrade. I've also got 2.9.5 just incase 5.0.3 starts giving me shit.

And yes, I do hope the original team will regroup and start a new project soon. Maybe something crossplatform this time, yes?

BP... big advantage of Winamp (well... used to be) over WMP ... it's not a resource hog. 2.x was awesome. 3.x sucked ass, and was worse than WMP on resource management. 5.x looks to have gone back to the 2.x level of resource management, while keeping the 3.x interface.

Basically AOL bought Winamp after 2.x and made a few "suggestions" for 3.x ... which ended up being total shit. The designer said "fuck you, we're going to fix this" and made 5.x, then left. Now that it's totally in AOL's hands... Winamp is and will no longer be what it once was. It's dead.

DarkWolf
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 07:44 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 09:42 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
I didn't say it was going under. I said it's dead. As in an empty husk, a shadow of the greatness that it used to be.

Basically AOL bought Winamp after 2.x and made a few "suggestions" for 3.x ... which ended up being total shit. The designer said "fuck you, we're going to fix this" and made 5.x, then left. Now that it's totally in AOL's hands... Winamp is and will no longer be what it once was. It's dead.
Winamp is exactly what it once was. Winamp3 was a mistake, but the interface hasnt changed much since its incarnation. Its an mp3 player, there isnt much you can do to make it better.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
Winamp is exactly what it once was. Winamp3 was a mistake, but the interface hasnt changed much since its incarnation. Its an mp3 player, there isnt much you can do to make it better.
... I know. Which is exactly what AOL's going to be doing with it now that the original design team is "out of the way", so to speak.

I see 5 being the best thing since 2, and the last good version of Winamp. Versions to follow ... I don't see good things happening. I see Weatherbug, and whatever that gaming program AOL bundles with AIM, and having to register with the site to download the latest version. I see it becoming a resource hog once again, and I see the interface which has always been simple yet all encompassing ... becoming convoluted. Options hidden in menus for no reason, other than because they want to add a visualization screen to the main player interface so they gotta make room for it. Media liscensing schemes ... sure it'll still play mp3's but it's native rip format will be something different. And more.

I see very bad things in the future for Winamp. With the original team gone, Winamp's future is completely under AOL's control now. I remember how they stifled ICQ development when they bought it, until AIM could catch up in features, so AIM wouldn't have competition that was infinitely better. I see how they're sneaking in spyware with AIM now. I see how they're buying up everything on the goddamn planet, so they can eliminate any competition (Broadband internet is a big draw away from AOL's pocketbooks ... so they "merge" with Time-Warner, one of the largest suppliers of Cable internet in the country. Poof, instant resources back to AOL. And then they come out with this AOL for Broadband bullshit ... go ahead and pay $40 / month for your connection, which is probably going to us anyway, and then give us another $20 / month to use our spiffy browser).

DarkWolf
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 08:09 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
...and then give us another $20 / month to use our spiffy browser).
I'm still trying to figure out why in the hell I would want to pay an EXTRA 20 bucks just to rub shit into my hard drive...

Regarding Slo3gt:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Junk View Post
Whining about someone disclosing their salary on a message forum usually leads to said whiner being a broke dick. If you don't like it, go elsewhere.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 10:17 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

WinAMP.Pro.v5.06.WinALL-RPRHRD

hit me up if you want a copy. Came out a few days ago.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 09:14 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

I'm fed up with winamp. Hasn't been any good for a long time. At least now I know why.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 03:12 PM
Time Served

yeah well winamp fucking sucks and will always suck.

INTERNET WARRIORS ASSOCIATION
PRESIDENT AND FOUNDING MEMBER
MEMBER #1

Everyone except the people i know need to fuck off
"The devils greatest trick of all time was making people believe he didnt exist"

2004 Suzuki GSXR 600
2004 Honda CRF 50 (88cc big bore kit)
2000 GMC sonoma (slammed)
1993 Yamaha FZR 600 (RIP)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 03:19 PM
Lifer

ive got 5.02 whats the newest V 5.xx?
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 03:22 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedV6
yeah well winamp fucking sucks and will always suck.

Much like you, in a room full of queers.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 03:30 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
Much like you, in a room full of queers.

fuck off bitch, i was just saying it has its problems. Mostly due to AOL and there fucking ignorance, but whatever that was just my 2 cents

INTERNET WARRIORS ASSOCIATION
PRESIDENT AND FOUNDING MEMBER
MEMBER #1

Everyone except the people i know need to fuck off
"The devils greatest trick of all time was making people believe he didnt exist"

2004 Suzuki GSXR 600
2004 Honda CRF 50 (88cc big bore kit)
2000 GMC sonoma (slammed)
1993 Yamaha FZR 600 (RIP)
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattv
ive got 5.02 whats the newest V 5.xx?
5.0.6 is the latest. I've got 5.0.3, and don't plan on updating.

Slammed, you got a suggestion for anything better? Either that or try a pre-AOL tainted version. 2.x = pre-AOL taint. If you suggest anything better... it must meet these requirements:

1: Media library. Winamp 2.9x had this, but I never used it. Was too used to the Playlist. First started using a library with Windows Media Player 9, due to Winamp 3.x being so terrible. It's absolutely invaluable, as you no longer have to fuck with constantly updating playlists to add new music.

2: Library must have some sort of "auto-playlist" function. Windows Media Player 9 has Auto-Playlists. You supply a few variables to define what you want showing up in that playlist, and it automatically adds music from your library to that playlist. Adding new music is automatic, as the Auto-Playlist sees the new music in the libary, and checks to see if it meets your criteria to be included in your auto-playlist(s). Winamp (not sure of 2.9x, haven't checked yet) has "views" in the media library. Same concept, just slightly different execution.

An example would be say you want to listen to all your music in the Heavy Metal genre (granted, Windows Media Player 9 auto generates genre auto-playlists), so you set up a new view called "Heavy Metal", set it to match "All" the following conditions (which is default, the other option is "Any"), hit the +, and from the first drop down list, choose "Genre", 2nd list choose "Equals", and 3rd box type in Heavy Metal. When you hit Ok, the new View will be in the list under Audio, and all your music that has the Genre of Heavy Metal will be listed in that view. Certainly easier than having to go through all your music and manually adding songs to a playlist.

3: Multiple ID3 tag editing. Select a group of songs, and edit all their tags at once. Useful for correcting artist/album/comments/year/genre tags. Without multiple ID3 tag editing, managing the library can be a nightmare, especially if you download music. People are fucking retarded when it comes to tagging mp3's. When I first started using a media library, it was a nightmare (and most of my music is ripped from CD's that I once owned or borrowed, the lack of any ID3 tags is almost as bad as how retarded some people are with tagging. My old ripping/encoding software didn't add any tags, and it was in use for a few years before I found CDex). I had about 20+ gigs of songs that were either tagless, or had some fucked up tags... editing all those tags one at a time was out of the question.

I know there are other programs that will do this, but I'd prefer to have this functionality within the program I'm using to play my music, rather than having to run another program.

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement