Just bought new Dell 700m laptop.. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Hustlin'

Just bought new Dell 700m laptop..

And I'm ready to kill my wireless adapter! Seems like my Netgear USB wireless adapter works quite nicley (maybe in no small part becaues I have a Netgear WAP/Router). The Intel adapter, PRO2200BG, doesn't connect at all at the house on my netgear, and at work, it'll connect BUT only for a few minutes until the signal goes to shit and then will not reconnect. Rebooting will result in the same cycle...will connected then crap out then won't reconnect.

I'm finding that I have to constantly 'repair' my connection to get it to connect at work if it will at all. I

Thanks I've done...

1) Tried newer 9.0 Intel driver/software from dell's site...same behavior. Reverted back to 8.0 software that came with laptop

2) Installed a clean install of XP Pro with all the latest drivers for the various devices from dell's site, same behavior...

3) Tried XP wireless management, 1/2 the time it can't detect my network, when it does and I provide my WEP passphrase it stil won't connect.

My netgear USB adapter has been a soldier, its used for my home theatre box down stairs, its a good way away from the WAP yet it functions and is NOT FLAKY like this laptops built in adapter...

Funy thing is, this is supposed to be the upgraded adapter for this machine. I'm about to ask dell to replace the adapter...but I'm not yet sure if its modular and can be replaced.

Any dell laptop users w/ wireless issues w/ intel adapters? Experiences?? Any input would be greatley appreciated!

On a side note, all the other functions of the laptop seem to perform great! I really hope I can get a wireless solution working on this thing...preferebly the one that came with it...

--Scott

"Jesus has my heart, but Whiskey has my liver" --Jason Boland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Hustlin'

Ok...really starting to think that the onboard adapter is a pos..

A coworker let me borrow her lucent tech PC card wireless adapter...works like a champ, plugged it in and connected immediatley, was able to surf, login to remote systems, ssh, some of our network devices; everything! I would have been able to use the netgear USB adapter I brought w/ me from home, but its MAC isn't loaded in our wap config and I have no way of doing that tonight. I feel that the netgear would have worked just as well just as it did on this laptop at my house on my network....

I think I may just make a small investment in a REAL wireless network adapter!

--Scott

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 08:14 AM

That is a nice laptop, I am on a 300m right now and I like it a lot.. But you are right the network card sucks.. I wave a linksys wireless switch and half the time I cant even connect to it and even though I have it set to my main hub sometimes ill jump on my neighbors and his has one bar of connection while mine has full connection.. but dell make a quality machine so when it does connect I like it a lot till the battery dies.. it has no battery life..

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Hustlin'

Ok here's an update:

Tested a lucent tech wireless 802.11b pc card at work, it instantly worked, all I had to do was probide the wep phrase and it was online; I had access to everything. The onboard intell one wouldn't connect. I had the lucent adapter running for hours, playing music, browsing the internet, it was great.

In BIOS, adapter is on, toggled several times in XP w/ Fn + F2.

Back home now, I can't get my wireless network to provide an IP address to either the Lucent pc card adapter or the onboard intel. I can see in the connection details on the laptop that it see's the MAC address of the WAP, and on the router/wap, I can see a 'device detected' with the lucent (or intel's) MAC address, but just dashes for the IP address and subnet mask; its like its hung up assinging this laptop an address even though the adapter's have good signal and can see the WAP.

My router/WAP is set to be DHCP server w/ a specified range in the 192.168.0/24 (for those familar w/ CIDR notation). thats .2 - .254.

ONLY after manually entering my SSID in the windows wireless network connection properties dialogue box / wireless network tab under 'prefered networks' will windows detect my wireless network/SSID when I tell it to 'refresh network list', then and only then will my network show when I try to 'view available wireless networks'. Signal is Solid green, I'm 4' from the WAP.

I tried turning back on SSID anouncment and removing MAC access filtering, no change.

I uninstalled the dell provided intel drivers and intel software, then reinstalled JUST the driver as someone said to do earlier. I tried this with the version of drivers that came with the laptop/resource CD and the newer ones on Dells download site. no change.

I uninstalled the dell provided drivers and installed the latest RETAIL intel drivers from intel's site, driver only, no intel software, no change.

I can sit here and attempt to repai the connection all day, with either adapter, and it will sit at 'aquiring network address' and then not get it. All the while the wap light is flashing on the WAP and the router config shows an attached device w/ my laptop's MAC address (whether it be intel or lucent).

I disabled/unchecked 'Enable IEEE 802.1x auth for this network under windows network connection properties > wireless network tab > prefered network properties > auth tab, no change.. This is also where I manualy type in my WEP passphrace...

Oh by the way, everytime I attempt to fix this with drivers, XP tacks on another number in a sequence to my wireless connection...whether it be intel or lucent or whatever, its up to 6; is that important? ie..it says 'Wireles Network Coneection 6' in Network Connections.

HELP, why can't I get an adress!

More to come....

Scott

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Hustlin'

Here is the real mother fucker!

I just borrowed my NETGEAR wireless adapter from my home theatre box, installed its little program for authentication/scan, fired it up and it connected without a hitch!

2 192.168.0.3 700M 005b:d1:a3:9b

shows right there, in attached device on the router config. WTF, my netgear router [email protected][email protected]@$$! Problem the [email protected][email protected]

Gues that would explain why the lucent card was 'compatible' with the work network..though I still don't get why the intel card compeltley doesn't work up there. Could it have something to do w/ the Lucent PC card is 802.11b ????

The intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG its a b/g....so whats the deal!

This post..coming to you live from my wireless network, consisting of netgear router and netgear adapter

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 10:39 AM
El Camino

I've got a Dell D600 with the 2100 B card internal. Ive had no trouble using mine at hotels, connecting to family members neighbors wap's, etc.

From my house I can see 3-5 different wap's from time to time.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Hustlin'

After more troubleshooting...I've found that when i completley disable any security on my router, the intel adapter on the dell can connect to my wireless network. I've tried several channals, SSID's, etc.. all fine just as long as i have NO SECURITY installed...

So I'm thinking security/encryption issue.. I recalled windows at one time giving me an error message when i typed in an invalid WEP passphrase (when using the windows client)..and looke what that error message is.

'The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network config. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hex characters.."

The netgear router has 2 options of encription key length for WEP, 64, 128, and 152....not 40 or 104. This is starting to make more since as the netgear wireless adapter that works like a champ uses either 64 or 128, which is a match in bit length for what the router does...

Why the hell is microsoft encryption requesting a 40 or 104 bit key? Is there some microsoft [email protected][email protected]@

I'm so confused..but at least the intel works without security, GREAT! I'll just run my WAP w/o security! Such BS...

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Hustlin'

Comming to you live from the garage, too bad its raining I wanted to test out how far I could take it from the WAP.

Why the hell this thing won't connect with encyption is beyond me. Thats got to get fixed.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 10:21 PM
El Camino

might try mac filtering till you get the wep part working. not perfect but at least something to try and lock it down.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Hustlin'

With WEP, it would fail with or without MAC Filtering on the router. I'm at work with it now playing with it. It appears I can make a WEP authenticated connection here but the connection drops after a period of time and won't let me reconnect with out doing a 'repair', course I don't konw how well the wireless works up here and need to confir w/ others on that...

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 08:10 AM

Are you running windows XP SP2 or SP1.. I know I had less problems with my wireless when I upgraded but they didnt all go away..
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Hustlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
Are you running windows XP SP2 or SP1.. I know I had less problems with my wireless when I upgraded but they didnt all go away..
SP2 comes on these since august so I read, so you'd think the adapter would be tested to work with it...

Another upate..

Its confirmed that on 2 different wireless networks, I am able to connect with the onboard intel adapter, one time, for about 5-6 minutes, before the connection degrades to almost nothing (like 1-2mpbs) and drops. after it drops, you can repair the connection but it won't come back up; you have to reboot for that...and the cycle begins again. Orinoco/Lucent WAP at work, Netgear WGT624 WAP at home...

Here's the interesting part, if I use a Orinoco/Lucent PC card wireless adapter at work w/ the same brand WAP, BAM! working, I had a connection w/ that setup for 8 hours straight with out 1 problem.

Same thing at home, if I use a netgear USB wireless adapter w/ my Netgear router, BAM online and stable.

I try to use my intel with either 2 of these WAP's, its unstable broken crap. Hell right now, its not even finding my wireless network in my house like it did 2 reboots ago or so, its SO FLAKY.

I'm going to reimage the machine to dell specs and see if it can connect and go from there; I think i've literally tried everything to get this Intel onboard wireless to work..on 2 WAP's...

Strangley, even with the latest drivers, I can't get the orinoco/lucent wireless card to work at home either, won't detect my wireless network in XP; it only has WEP encryption and is 802.11b only. The intel adapter will do WPA-PSK, which when it like to work, is the encryption that will allow a connection (as it did when I was in the garage earlier posting a few posts back).

More fun to come...

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Time Served

Is your WINDOWS firewall turned on? If so turn this off and try to connect with the correct WEP key and pass phrase if you are still going that route.

1998 Chrome Yellow Cobra

MODS:
Bassani X-Pipe w/CATS, Bassani Cat-Back, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, WMS Velocity Tube/87mm PRO-M Combo, 17X9 Cobra R's.

Suspension:
Bilstein Shocks & Struts, H&R Race Springs, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, Maximum Motorsports Lower Control Arms, FRPP Upper Control Arms, 2003 Cobra bump-steer Tie Rod ends, MM Energy Spring Isolators, Steeda Subframes, (M-3075-D) 2003 Cobra Front Control Arms, Eibach Front & Rear Swaybar kit
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Hustlin'

I toggled the windows firewall, didn't help...but I'll tell ya what did help, a new wireless card from dell! Just put in my replacement card this morning, working for 1:02 hours so far solid at 54Mbps with no drops..

Looks to have been a hardware problem w/ the wireless card...we'll see, testing it right now to see how long it'll hold a connection

I'm a lot happier with this card's performance so far.

--Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement