WOW open beta closed - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Gunga galunga

Unhappy WOW open beta closed

Well beta testing servers closed today for world of warcraft they're wiping all servers prior to release on the 23rd so my character is now gone and I can once again join the real world for 7 days lol, maybe find some time to study for finals... BTW beautiful game, and if you're a fan of either MMO's of RPG's you would probally enjoy world of warcraft...there are some issues here and there, but over all great game...

"Apres moi le deluge"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 08:38 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Never understood why they called it an open beta ... when you had to pay for it. Open beta used to mean free ... since ... you know... you're testing a game. Shouldn't have to pay to test a game.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 08:40 PM
CFH

so what's the down low on this game?

2009 Pontiac G8 GT white hot

RIP - Dimebag Darrell 12/8/04

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 10:29 PM
Lifer

Within the last 10 days it has been free. I like it, has been a nice change from EQ. I cant afford the upgrades to play EQ2, been playing WoW with my PoS computer all graphics turned all the way up. Thinking about buying WoW and quitting EQ.

Mopar63

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 11:22 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

How were you able to register an account without the FilePlanet key? I tried this past weekend and it was still requiring that key to create an account.

And to get that key, you gotta subscribe to FilePlanet ... which is $20 for 3 months ... thus paying to test a game.

DarkWolf
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 09:24 AM
Bite Me!!!

everyone just play FFXI online and be done with it.....
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Gunga galunga

i don't know who was trying to charge for the beta...blizzard setup two beta's, the first was a closed beta and you had to apply and be accpeted to play, two weeks ago they started and open beta, which allowed anyone to signup untill they reached the number of people they wanted to play. They did this to stress test the servers. If you got in on it you just created an acount and downloaded the 2.4GB game, but they reached the number of players they wanted in less than 2 days and stopped creation of new acounts...there wasn't any charge

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Bite Me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford
i don't know who was trying to charge for the beta...blizzard setup two beta's, the first was a closed beta and you had to apply and be accpeted to play, two weeks ago they started and open beta, which allowed anyone to signup untill they reached the number of people they wanted to play. They did this to stress test the servers. If you got in on it you just created an acount and downloaded the 2.4GB game, but they reached the number of players they wanted in less than 2 days and stopped creation of new acounts...there wasn't any charge
you have to have an account through fileplanet correct? that is an account that you pay for right?

you paid for beta
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Gunga galunga

if you're talking about having an acount to download the game yes you have to pay if you don't want to wait in line on fileplanets free servers...but even then you could download it for free from blizzard if you got into the beta signups before they closed them...once the game goes release its like $15 a month after the first month...

http://www.battle.net/downloads/wow-client.shtml

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 11:48 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

When I went to create an account for the "open" beta (according to Blizzards website, they were still accepting open beta signups as late as this past weekend), Step 2 was to enter the FilePlanet Access Key which was a 5 part number, similar to an XP CD key.

If I wanted to get that FilePlanet Access key (see, cause I already had the 2.4gb client, and it was already installed), I'd have to go to FilePlanet, and subscribe (for $20), and get my key, that I could then go back to Blizzards site and enter that access key, and continue creating an account.

Thus paying ($20) to play a supposedly open beta. And I'd have been pretty damned pissed had I paid that $20 and then they ended the beta test less than 5 days later.

But the intro movie was nice. I can see why this game is 2 years past due... had to have put a LOT of time into that intro movie.

DarkWolf
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
How were you able to register an account without the FilePlanet key? I tried this past weekend and it was still requiring that key to create an account.

And to get that key, you gotta subscribe to FilePlanet ... which is $20 for 3 months ... thus paying to test a game.
For about 2 days they offered a free download they reached their limit , the fileplanet key was not needed. They were loading up the servers to stress test them. I quess they could not get enough folks to pay $ to load the servers, only place I was lagging at all was Ironforge.

Mopar63

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 05:30 PM

yep they gave you a free key when you created your account and you did not have to be a member on fileplanet. It just took longer to download if you used WOW's site. I can't wait till tomorrow
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk02stang
yep they gave you a free key when you created your account and you did not have to be a member on fileplanet. It just took longer to download if you used WOW's site. I can't wait till tomorrow
paid up and off work... if anyone else is playing i'll be in one of the PVP central servers, post up tomorrow and maybe get same server, I've already got 4 peps together...

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 07:22 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford
paid up and off work... if anyone else is playing i'll be in one of the PVP central servers, post up tomorrow and maybe get same server, I've already got 4 peps together...

I know my guild is prolly gonna end up on server 6 - Archimonde Server.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 05:51 PM
Super Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
I know my guild is prolly gonna end up on server 6 - Archimonde Server.
Myself and about 5 other people I know will be playing on the StormReever PvP server.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Gunga galunga

yeah me and 4 others on archimonde...

"Apres moi le deluge"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement