About to buy Premodded Xbox, got ?'s - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

About to buy Premodded Xbox, got ?'s

Like the title says I want to order a Premodded Xbox since mine was stolen Friday.

I saw a pretty good price at http://premods.com/xbox.php

which chip would you guys recommend. i know I'm going with a 120 gig drive already.

Is this shop reputable?

Is there any other places out there to buy premodded xbox?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 06:23 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Executer 3 is the top dog right now. I'd highly recommend getting a bigger HD, 120 gigs isn't much when the average game is around 4 gigs. Thats only enough room for 30 games and nothing left for dvds, mp3s and images! Mine has a 250 gig btw, HD was only $120 at Fry's. Also make sure the HD you buy can be "locked" otherwise you won't be able to do xbox live stuff if it matters to you.

http://www.teamxecuter.com/

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 06:35 PM
Lifer

I was reading about this on Turbomustangs this morning. First off, do you still need to turn the chip off when logging onto Xbox live and if so, can you still play games that are on your hard drive on Xbox live without getting your IP address banned?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 08:54 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Ask Istangu (Josh) He knows his shitty pretty well. His setup is pretty bad ass. Fucker, I still wanna lan @ the house.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Executer 3 is the top dog right now. I'd highly recommend getting a bigger HD, 120 gigs isn't much when the average game is around 4 gigs. Thats only enough room for 30 games and nothing left for dvds, mp3s and images! Mine has a 250 gig btw, HD was only $120 at Fry's. Also make sure the HD you buy can be "locked" otherwise you won't be able to do xbox live stuff if it matters to you.

http://www.teamxecuter.com/

I think for what I'm going to be using it for 120gigs should be allright, I'll probably keep all my mp3's and dvd's on my comp and use FTP to get to them.

It just sucks that they broke in and stole all my games including Halo 2. I was almost done with it to

I'll see how much i can get a 200 gig hd for

Thanks again
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 06:08 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason
I was reading about this on Turbomustangs this morning. First off, do you still need to turn the chip off when logging onto Xbox live and if so, can you still play games that are on your hard drive on Xbox live without getting your IP address banned?
M$ is banning people with different hard drives now, not just mod chips. With the Executer 3 you hold down the power button for a second and it boots up just like a regular xbox. Used to be as long as your HDD was locked then you could play live just fine like that, not the case anymore. However there are still ways to play on line, I've heard there are gamespy channels for them now.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
M$ is banning people with different hard drives now, not just mod chips. With the Executer 3 you hold down the power button for a second and it boots up just like a regular xbox. Used to be as long as your HDD was locked then you could play live just fine like that, not the case anymore. However there are still ways to play on line, I've heard there are gamespy channels for them now.

I was over at xbox-scene.com and some guys had a theory about this. They were calling it the marriage theory. They say that once you get on live for the firt time M$ marries your x-box to the hardrive, and if you upgrade after being on live they can see the change and ban you.

Basically what they are saying is that if you want to play on live and want to get a bigger drive, get the drive first.

I'm not sure how true this is, but the guys were saying that they tried all different types of things and this is what they came up with.

Personally to me Xbox live isnt all that of interest, and if i do get banned, I'll play by LAN, or on Xbconnect.

Later
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 08:22 AM
Bite Me!!!

MOST of the banning problem is hd's over 120gig that are not properly locked...

get a 120 gig for games and then share the rest of it to your xbox from you pc X3 is a bad ass chip but I got my X2lite with the external switch so I know for damn sure if the bios is disabled properly....

Now remember buying a premod... The ONLY thing they are doing is putting the chip and drive in it... they will NOT flash the bios or load the software needed to do anything cool.... but you really need to spend several days at www.xbox-scene.com and read EVERYTHING you possibly can there. Its hard to setup but its not THAT hard... just time consuming as hell... it took me close to a month almost 2 to get mine setup the way i wanted... and I still need to upgrade some stuff.

oh as far as keeping over 30-40 games on your harddrive are you fucking kidding me.... have you really ever tried to play that many... I have a firewire that I archive my games to once I fill up the hardrive..... Just in case I ever wanna play them again, but I can almost be if they aren't on my box I really didn't wanna play them anyway, unless its some old school nes games
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 02:29 AM
"SHOW HIM THE BIRD!"

yea it took me about a week to figure everything out, and i still have the bios and dashboards on a disk if you need them i will gladly lend them to you for free.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 09:18 AM
Bite Me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider5.0
yea it took me about a week to figure everything out, and i still have the bios and dashboards on a disk if you need them i will gladly lend them to you for free.
a week.. you haven't even scratched the surface at what this thing can really do then
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 02:35 AM
"SHOW HIM THE BIRD!"

yea i have. i have gotten to where i have 35 of my own skins that i made, hacked in to my computer,can hack in to halo one, made some of my own trainers, i have added 10 games from snes to atari, and i have downloaded al of my dvds and have learned to swap the files around so that i can play them backwards <<<<< was bored one night.. what else is there to do. plus to tell you the truth i dont work much so i ws up all hours of the night doing these things, as if you cant tell by the time frames that i post the most.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 10:10 AM
Bite Me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider5.0
yea i have. i have gotten to where i have 35 of my own skins that i made, hacked in to my computer,can hack in to halo one, made some of my own trainers, i have added 10 games from snes to atari, and i have downloaded al of my dvds and have learned to swap the files around so that i can play them backwards <<<<< was bored one night.. what else is there to do. plus to tell you the truth i dont work much so i ws up all hours of the night doing these things, as if you cant tell by the time frames that i post the most.

LOL... sounds like you've had many sleepless nights playing with it....Linux install is fun, the new webbrowser is nice .... and I need to check on the updates for xbconnect (or similar) that they are trying to build in with media center. I think the most problems I've had is some of my emulator games still get no picture but sound... driving me nuts... live webstreams are cool to if you can find any decent ones... specialy when you can record shoutcast streams to mp3

but yeah sounds like you've made the most of it
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 09:10 PM
"SHOW HIM THE BIRD!"

yea, the webstreams rock, and for the emulators are you FTPing them to your xbox if so through what program. ive had hard times with flash fxp i think is what it was.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 07:55 AM
Bite Me!!!

I always use smartftp for everything... but remember that the file names can't be to long... I figured that out really fast on some n64 games I tried to copy over...
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 07:49 PM
Time Served

what is the point of a modded xbox? what can you do with that over a regular xbox?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 05:29 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprayed 331 stroker
what is the point of a modded xbox? what can you do with that over a regular xbox?
Anything you can do with a PC plus you can copy games and play them from your hard drive, atleast thats what I've heard You can also play PS1, Nintendo, Dreamcast and Gamecube stuff on it.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 07:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
You can also play PS1, Nintendo, Dreamcast and Gamecube stuff on it.
I dont know about all that. From what I heard you cant do that, not yet anyway.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 02:43 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

PSX - yes

Nintendo NES/SNES - yes (GB/GBC/GBA? Not aware of any emulators for Xbox yet, though I also haven't really looked)

Genesis/Sega Master System - yes (Game Gear, also not aware of an emulator, nor aware of a Saturn emulator)

Dreamcast - probably not, as there's not even a really stable emulator available for PC yet, and the Xbox emulators are usually ported over from a stable PC emulator, and then further tweaked for stability on the Xbox.

Gamecube - dream on

PS2 - ditto

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 11:14 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

I know mine has several emulators built in but honestly I've never tried to use any of them. They are there and I've heard they work well but with over 40 XBOX games whats the point?

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 10:22 AM
lol, this place sucks now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
I know mine has several emulators built in but honestly I've never tried to use any of them. They are there and I've heard they work well but with over 40 XBOX games whats the point?
old school

Firefox, Mario Kart, Punch Out, Contra, Double Dragon, etc etc
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Time Served

sorry to bring up an old topic but with these chips do you have to copy them to the HD or can you run them from a burnd DVD ?

Brad
06 Kia Spectra5
06 Kia Sportage
-----------------------
00 Honda Prelude (Sold!)
04 VW Jetta 1.8T (Sold!)
04 MGT (Sold!)
93 MGT (Sold!)
97 PGT (Sold!)
94 PSE (Sold!)
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 09:56 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Usually you want to play them from the hdd (load times not withstanding). Mainly, because of the dvd-rom's they put in Xboxes, if you don't get one with the Samsung 605 drive, then finding recordable media (cd or dvd) that works can be a pain in the ass. With the Samsung 605 drive, the only media that isn't supported is DVD+R (and maybe +RW too... dunno, haven't tried it).

Unsupported doesn't mean it will never work... just means you gotta try different brands of that media to find one that works. Personally, I just switched to DVD-R, to avoid the hassle ... since all 3 different brands of +R that I've used don't seem to work.

You could put a PC dvd-rom in there, pretty much any brand/model will work, but if you can snag a Samsung 616T or 616F drive, and flash the firmware to the 605 spec, you can use all media, as well as play original games. Other PC drives, you can't play/read original game discs, and you'd have to swap the original xbox dvd-rom back in for them. Depending on how often you play original discs, would ultimately determine if that's too much of a pain in the ass. I got lucky, and have the Samsung 605 drive, but I might try to snag a 616, so I can have a 16x drive instead of the 4x stock one.

And of course, to get it to work with the power/eject button some modification to the drive is required, some soldering. However, if you don't care about leaving the case closed, you could just set a PC dvd on top of the xbox dvd, leave the yellow cable plugged into the xbox drive, plug the ide cable into the pc drive and get a power Y splitter, so you can tap off the power cable going to the hdd without having to make any further modifications. The downside: no original discs, and playing backups from disc may or may not work (and might require the original disc anyway... essentially negating the purpose of having backups)

I went with the Xecutor 2.6 CE with the solderless adapter, and used a 160gig drive that I thought had crashed, so was sitting out of my computer about to be RMA'd. Installed it in about a minute, but while I was at the xbox, my friend was flashing the bios over the network from his computer... used the same bios he used for his Xenium chip (I didn't think to make sure he was going to use an Xecutor 2.x bios), and it fucked up the flash (overwrote the flash bios on it as well), so I had to order a programmer for it, which took a couple more days to arrive.

Technically, I could've had the chip installed, flashed, and the system up and running in less than 30 minutes, just waiting for games, movies, music, whatever. Though I have been thinking about doing this for the past 2 years at least, and have constantly been keeping up on new developments in "the scene", so once the programmer arrived, I had my system up and running in 45 minutes (took 15 minutes to flash with the programmer... goddamn slow ass parallel port ). There just was no real trial and error in my setup (other than the inital bad flash).

I like having the external switch, though I don't use Live so it really doesn't matter to me. I'd rather use Xbconnect, or Xlink Kai, if I REALLY gotta do some online gaming (and Xlink Kai works with Gamecube and PS2 as well).

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 07:40 AM
Time Served

Was thinking about just ordering a premod from the link above, 220 seems to be a really great price with the stock drive. I'll put a new HD in it and of course i get to pick what to install on it.

Brad
06 Kia Spectra5
06 Kia Sportage
-----------------------
00 Honda Prelude (Sold!)
04 VW Jetta 1.8T (Sold!)
04 MGT (Sold!)
93 MGT (Sold!)
97 PGT (Sold!)
94 PSE (Sold!)
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 11:21 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002whitegt
Like the title says I want to order a Premodded Xbox since mine was stolen Friday.

I saw a pretty good price at http://premods.com/xbox.php

which chip would you guys recommend. i know I'm going with a 120 gig drive already.

Is this shop reputable?

Is there any other places out there to buy premodded xbox?

Thanks
sent PM
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 11:25 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
I like having the external switch, though I don't use Live so it really doesn't matter to me. I'd rather use Xbconnect, or Xlink Kai, if I REALLY gotta do some online gaming (and Xlink Kai works with Gamecube and PS2 as well).
bad thing on xbconnect is all the cheaters...

Good thing to remember if your getting on Live you better leave your C: and E: drive like factory. They do check these drives now and you can get banned even with your chip off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement