what do you guys think about "dell"??? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

what do you guys think about "dell"???

i want a new comp. small business and it looks like dell was best for me and my budget...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Time Served

A plus side is you get a chance to practice your communication skills while repeating the same information to 20 different "tech support" representatives as you try to work your way up the ladder to someone who can actually help you and knows what they are talking about.

Just my biased opinion.

-Clayton
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 01:19 PM
El Camino

I'm a fan of the Dells. I like most of their line. I'm also biased sense my brother works there but pretty much every machine at my office is Dell.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 01:22 PM
Founding Member

we bought 20 dells and the only problem was one of the 17" upgraded flat screens didnt work out of the box. They had a new one there next day.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Pimp Juice ca. 1997

Biased because I worked there almost 5 yrs.

Support was great up until they outsourced to India, so if you ever have a problem with it, hope you have plenty of time to spend on the phone!!

It's really hit or miss. I've had 8 different Dell systems, 2 of which were nothing but problems, the other 6 have run flawlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
God bless you Roscoe and all you do for humanity and this board in particular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
You know Roscoe, I used to think that you were some 16 yr.old punk with a speech impediment, but now I want you to marry one of my daughters ...'H'
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 02:39 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

i have sold a lot of dells, probably around a hundred over the past three years. out of those i have had a total of 5 with issues, all but one were bad HD's and i got new ones. the other had an improperly loaded OS but that was it.

i think tech support is still better than any of the others out there.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 02:41 PM
AHMO!

can't stand dell. I can't stand dealing with their credit dept or collections. They didn't send me my first bill and so when I got the 0% interest and didn't have the first bill I called and they were like you already missed a payment so we are charging you interest. anytime you want to talk to a supervisor they are on break. The outsourcing to India made me anti dell for life.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nate
can't stand dell. I can't stand dealing with their credit dept or collections. They didn't send me my first bill and so when I got the 0% interest and didn't have the first bill I called and they were like you already missed a payment so we are charging you interest. anytime you want to talk to a supervisor they are on break. The outsourcing to India made me anti dell for life.
Amen brother! Thats my story word for word.

-Clayton
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Yes I'm...

Pretty much all PC tech support is outsourced to India these days, so there's not too much you can do about that. I've personally owned 3 Dells, not to mention many that friends and colleages have owned. The problems that have arisen are always a component failure, such as a CD-ROM drive or the speakers going out, and Dell has been EXCELLENT in warranty hardware support. They have the replacement part to you the next day usually, even when they're dispatching from India

Anyway the tech support was better when it was here, but I don't have to call them unless there's a hardware failure. Since there are very few of those and they have always handled them well, I'm pretty pleased with Dell.

'98 Camaro SS: Incon twin turbo. Sold
'99 Camaro SS: Heads/cam/bolt-ons. Sold.
'91 Camaro RS: Stock.

2010 Camaro SS: Hell yes.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 01:06 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Dell is alright. I personally wouldn't buy pre-builds from any company, but sometimes you just can't beat their prices. The one thing you will hate about Dell, is their support. It's not just the outsourcing to India, most of the tech's in the U.S. are people who just needed a job, got hired, and got a quick, 2 week crash course in the current model lines, and how to use their inhouse techsupport/pre-configured answers website.

I remember going through my "training" and half the class were people who knew absolutely nothing about computers, going into it. Coming out of it, they still knew nothing about computers... but they could generally fake it, because they knew how to navigate the inhouse answers website.

Dell's support may be better than others, but it's still a piss poor excuse, in my eyes.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

3.0ghz, 512mb, 80gig, cd-rw or dvd, $480. i know nobody can beat that, all i need to know if they are good computers, are they fast responding on the internet or whenever you got more than 1 prgm. onpened?
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 12:04 PM
Texas Rangers #1

I like Dell. That's all we have at work and they're pretty reliable. Here lately we've been having Hard Drives go out, but that was due to a bad batch they recieved. Other than that they can't be beat for price and quality. I'm also a Dell certified Tech... for all that's worth

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 12:07 PM
f-ck off

there "ok"
as long as youre not a hard core gamer

the three bad things i dont like about them :

not alot of room to upgrade
cant overclock .....at ALL
not enough pci slots

i have had a few also
my main home pc is a dell

but when it was time for the server ....i looked and bought elsewhere

as far as your question ....
they do fine running mulitple programs

as long as all the software isnt on the line at the same time
if you run alot on line at the same time .......
get alot more mem ...and a t1 connection

please visit
WWW.KRENNPOWERSPORTS.COM
for all your pwc needs
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 12:24 PM
Yes I'm...

Bah. 512 megs is PLENTY for browsing the Internet. It's laughable to suggest getting a T1 connection... why spend all that money when cable and DSL are so comparatively cheap?

'98 Camaro SS: Incon twin turbo. Sold
'99 Camaro SS: Heads/cam/bolt-ons. Sold.
'91 Camaro RS: Stock.

2010 Camaro SS: Hell yes.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 12:27 PM
f-ck off

depends on what is being run ......and how much of it is internet
i didnt say that 512 was bad

but you put a p2p net work online ...and try playing a game at the same time ......

with a cable line...............

stick you with a fork ,,,cause yer done

please visit
WWW.KRENNPOWERSPORTS.COM
for all your pwc needs
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Lifer

I have a Dell Laptop that I really enjoy. But as everyone else has said here, the tech support really blows. I had an issue from a Windows Service Pack update and the tech rep walked me through deleting my entire system without telling me the end result. I lost everything The worst part was, if I would've just tried to fix it myself I wouldn't have lost my entire system. The tech was an idiot. I asked him twice if I should just do the repair on the OS but he said that I needed to do a full install and also delete the particians. I will NEVER use the Tech Service again.

Some people are like Slinkies- Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 12:37 PM
f-ck off

lol..............

they are really untrained dumb-asses !!!!

sorry you lost all you stuff.................

please visit
WWW.KRENNPOWERSPORTS.COM
for all your pwc needs
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 01:23 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgirl50
I have a Dell Laptop that I really enjoy. But as everyone else has said here, the tech support really blows. I had an issue from a Windows Service Pack update and the tech rep walked me through deleting my entire system without telling me the end result. I lost everything The worst part was, if I would've just tried to fix it myself I wouldn't have lost my entire system. The tech was an idiot. I asked him twice if I should just do the repair on the OS but he said that I needed to do a full install and also delete the particians. I will NEVER use the Tech Service again.
Just to reiterate my point above. Piss poor tech support. This particular situation is NOT uncommon. The people they have answering their tech support calls are trained from the start to format/reinstall for ANY software issues. Any hardware issues, they do some basic troubleshooting (again, being walked through the entire process from the inhouse website), and if that doesn't work, format/reinstall.

They don't have to tell you about losing all your data, nor do they have to show you how to back up your data if you happen to know somewhat that format/reinstall will erase everything. Why? "Dell is not responsible for the software and data that you've put on the machine. We can only support the system in it's original factory installed configuration." Basically, if you do ANYTHING with the machine after taking it out of the box, Dell techs don't have to support it until they walk you through getting it back to the original factory install. Go Dell!

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 10:40 PM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nate
A friend of mine with a small business got into a similar situation with dell and their financial people. It was their mistake and they expected him to pay for it. I believe they had to reach for a lawyer to get it cleared up.

I have a dell latitude that frankly has been a piece of crap. I've replaced the lcd, motherboard (2x), keyboard (3x), cpu fan, one of the OEM memory modules, and the battery. Right now the "dimm b" slot is bad on the motherboard, and the lcd is starting to flicker. Death is near yet again. I make my living on this thing and it's cost me a chunk of money in downtime.

Support is horrible as has been mentioned before. It is an ordeal to get support but if you want to order replacement parts it is even worse. I was transferred at least 7 times before I got someone that could order me a replacement keyboard. The accents, script readers, and demographic gathering during support calls are frustrating and irritating.

Dell's laptop prices are high. Go price one and then check your local best buy.

Their desktop prices seem in line with what I see here and there. I prefer to build my own desktop systems so that I can put in what I want.

A customer of mine bought and pressed into service a huge quantity of dell desktops over a period of time and there weren't too many problems - mainly bad video cards and hard drives.

I'd say dell is fine for a desktop system, but you might be able to do better on a laptop.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Lifer

Crap, Crap, and more Crap

Two problems with Dell:

1) I bought a Dell as our first home system. HD crashed within 2 weeks. In-home service gave me the run around and took 4 weeks to get to me. They slapped the drive in at my house and told me I'd have to reinstall all my programs on my own. And to make matters worse, I guess this was when they had all the Indian goobacks answering the phones. You had to call and hang up enough times to just finally get some white guy. Service blows and THIS GODDAMN COMPUTER IS LOUD! Everyone who is at the house says it should not be this loud. The fan sounds like the a/c unit outside my house. I will never own another.

2) Dell was a client of ours at work. I will not say which company, but they are no longer a client because they WOULD NOT PAY THEIR BILLS. After enough bills went 120 days out, we dropped them.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 11:40 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

I've had my dell 1ghz machine since it 1 ghz was the shit... and the only problems i've ever had with it were things i caused.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 03:07 PM
El Camino

I'm still doing my surfing off an optiplex gx150 933mhz 512mb ram. I've upgraded video card and added a usb 2 card so I could hook up external usb drives but it runs great.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

well i just needed a good comp. i heard of the bad service but i got a
p4, 2.8ghz, 80gig, cd/dvd-rw, 256mb, FOR ONLY $400 BRAND SPANKIN NEW, im using it as i write, and i got to say that i love this damn keyboard, i think im liking this comp. better than the one i had..... thanks guys!!!!! for all of your comments.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 11:30 AM
f-ck off

well congrads .....and good luck with it ...
if you have any problems.....post up here b4 you go to dell ..........

2fast

please visit
WWW.KRENNPOWERSPORTS.COM
for all your pwc needs
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Good ol Days

I've configured and dispatched 53 brand new Optiplex GX270 small form factor 2.8GHz / 512MB / 80GB workstations here since last November, and I haven't made a single call to Dell support YET.

I had 430 Dell workstations at the last place I did IT work and made about 3-5 calls a YEAR for service and repair work, outside of a batch of seven PCs that came through with bad mother boards, which were replaced by Dell onsite before I even had a chance to open the boxes.

What are you guys doing wrong? Dell fuckin OWNS the prebuilt market, and it's no surprise with how good their product and customer support is.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 01:32 PM
not exclude

Dell would be the only prebuilt computer I would buy (I have had three Dells in the past).
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 11:15 PM
Time Served

With those specs it should run just fine. Just be sure when you get it to unload all of Dell's BS software that gets loaded at startup. They usually eat up at least 128mb of RAM right out of the box which can really affect performance.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 11:51 PM
Lethal Injection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrx769
i want a new comp. small business and it looks like dell was best for me and my budget...
its good

"Chef Gear head"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement