Need XBox advice for a problem - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Boost is Good

Need XBox advice for a problem

Problem I am having is that my Xbox works fine playing video in DVD or Games till the video has a pure whites in it (like a caption or text or something) the video blurs where like the where the white is on the screen and I get a horrible disorted blurp from the speakers.

I guess what I am saying is that the Xbox plays fine till it displays any pure white (the color)(whether it be text or could be the stripes on the American flag) then it blurs where the white is and makes a blurp in the speakers till the white disappears and then it goes back to normal. It only happens on the color white though. Its really strange. Any advice what it could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 09:55 PM
3rd shift sloucher

what kinda of cables are you using to get the output of the xbox to you tv? you could have a set of fubared cables, go with a s-video if your not using it, if you are just for shits and giggles try RCA or Coax

: () { : | : & } ; : = <3
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Boost is Good

ok, well I just change cables b/c I was using RF and went with an HD setup, still same result. I am starting to think it is the board and I need to order a new one.

Can anyone give me advice on what to order as a replacement and do I need a new Hard Drive too?(I was curios why all the boards I've seen for sale on different websites come with hard drives too) I've see many people talk about different versions of boards for the XBOX and not sure do I need to order the same version as I have? if so how do I determine which version I have? any advice to what I should do to replace the board?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 12:22 AM
I'm Yer Huckleberry

the only difference in versions is which dashboard you have, you can check this buy turning it on without a game in it and go into settings, then system info, it will scroll down and say which version you have. You can always just take it to gamestop and they will buy it for like 50 bucks broken

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2009 HD Street Glide
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord19
the only difference in versions is which dashboard you have, you can check this buy turning it on without a game in it and go into settings, then system info, it will scroll down and say which version you have. You can always just take it to gamestop and they will buy it for like 50 bucks broken
you think it would be cheaper to trade it in for 50 bucks broken and then buy one used for 129.99?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm Yer Huckleberry

you could get one for 100 bucks at a pawn shop or something. and its like 120 for a used one at gamestop

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2009 HD Street Glide
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Boost is Good

Quote:
called them and they will only give $35

Id rather try to repair it
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 10:42 PM
I'm Yer Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281R
called them and they will only give $35

Id rather try to repair it
damn they told me 50 and it dont matter whats wrong with it

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2009 HD Street Glide
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Boost is Good

Quote:
damn they told me 50 and it dont matter whats wrong with it
yea, $35 aint jack
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Trick Flow Evangelist

try eb games they might do more. I just got one from cash plus pawn near me for 89.00

Ay, fight and you may die, run and you'll live. At least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives.... but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!

QUESTION AUTHORITY
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Wallace
I just got one from cash plus pawn near me for 89.00
Do you know if they have anymore?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 02:55 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I'm thinking it's not anything wrong with your xbox. Do you have a regular DVD player hooked up to your entertainment center? If so, try the same movies where you have pure whites. If you have the same problem, my guess is what's causing it is the "noise" from the pure white. Basically pure white = RGB 255,255,255 to the TV, which takes a considerable amount of power to create. The noise is caused when the TV ramps up it's power to create that pure white, basically it causes a static interferance with the stereo/reciever (or the internal speakers in the TV, if that's what's being used). The blurring could also be attributed to the TV.

One thing you'll notice in any broadcast signal, from local to satellite/cable service, there won't be any pure whites or pure blacks, because of this reason (close at times, but not 255,255,255, or 0,0,0). Pure black is essentially turning the TV off, to display other colors causes power fluctuations, which also cause their own noise. Public Access channels have shows that are notorious for using pure whites and pure blacks, and you get the subsequent noises from them (be it pops in the speakers, distorted pictures on the screen, or a low hum or buzz coming from the screen/speakers).

How old is your TV? If you have the same problem with a regular DVD player, I'd have your TV serviced, or if it's pretty damn old (5+ years), I'd replace it. If you have an LCD/Plasma TV, or are using a projector, then you shouldn't be having this problem (unless it's a front projection big screen TV), and maybe it is the XBox.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design

Last edited by DarkWolf; 10-27-2004 at 03:05 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
I'm thinking it's not anything wrong with your xbox. Do you have a regular DVD player hooked up to your entertainment center? If so, try the same movies where you have pure whites. If you have the same problem, my guess is what's causing it is the "noise" from the pure white. Basically pure white = RGB 255,255,255 to the TV, which takes a considerable amount of power to create. The noise is caused when the TV ramps up it's power to create that pure white, basically it causes a static interferance with the stereo/reciever (or the internal speakers in the TV, if that's what's being used). The blurring could also be attributed to the TV.

How old is your TV? If you have the same problem with a regular DVD player, I'd have your TV serviced, or if it's pretty damn old (5+ years), I'd replace it.
Well the TV its hooked up to is a few months old HD TV, but I've hooked this system up to a 1 year old TV also via RF and same result happend. But yes the white with the noice seems to be whats happening as to what you were saying.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 03:08 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281R
Well the TV its hooked up to is a few months old HD TV, but I've hooked this system up to a 1 year old TV also via RF and same result happend. But yes the white with the noice seems to be whats happening as to what you were saying.
If you get a chance, try it with a regular DVD player. If the problem doesn't occur, then it probably is the Xbox. But if it continues, definitely either have the TV serviced, or look into static shielding.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Boost is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
If you get a chance, try it with a regular DVD player. If the problem doesn't occur, then it probably is the Xbox. But if it continues, definitely either have the TV serviced, or look into static shielding.
yep, I have had my regular DVD player hooked up for a while now to that TV and havent had trouble with it. So Im thinking it has to be the Xbox's video card.
(too bad its integrated)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement