Is it possible to trace an IP when..

..you're stealing wifi from somewhere?
check it and let me know, just curious.

Jeremy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:45 AM
Wolverines!!!

Thief, and I have no idea how to help, you but I got a free post out of it.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:01 AM
GE
Lifer

If you're the one having your bandwidth stolen, its pretty easy to find out who's doing it. FFI, Just ask Talisman about IP's.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:01 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Si
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:02 AM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Si
?
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:04 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
?
lmfao, I don't remember posting in this thread. LOL
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:05 AM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
lmfao, I don't remember posting in this thread. LOL

Go back to the third shifter thread
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE
If you're the one having your bandwidth stolen, its pretty easy to find out who's doing it. FFI, Just ask Talisman about IP's.
Im in a school parking lot, so theres no one here Im stealing from to check.

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:10 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Go back to the third shifter thread
Si
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:10 AM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GT50
Some cop is going to do a suspicios(sp?) vehicle check, and you're fucked!
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:20 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Im in a school parking lot
LOL!

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 08:18 AM

Quote:

What's a cop gonna do?
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 08:19 AM

Quote:

CHESTER???????????
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 08:21 AM

Its very easy to get your IP, and to find the thief within a given range. However, if you were in a parking lot full of cars then it gets a little tough. If you're sitting out there with your lappie in hand, then you're so hosed dude.

You're goin down dude
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Its a big open parking lot, and if I see a car coming up to me, Ill just eject the card, and put it in my glovebox, and say I needed somewhere to clear my thoughts and write a paper, since one time I was up there, and didnt notice a guy with a flashlight going around checking the locks on all the doors, and he came up to my car, I just closed my laptop and told him the exact same thing, and he just said "Oh, sorry to bother you then."
I seriously doubt the cops around here would even know what the hell the card is.

post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2600
Its very easy to get your IP, and to find the thief within a given range. However, if you were in a parking lot full of cars then it gets a little tough. If you're sitting out there with your lappie in hand, then you're so hosed dude.

You're goin down dude
Haha, there's never anyone there when I do it so Im not worried about that, Ill even park in front of houses with the wifi, and they wont do anything, its not that easy to check for most people, and you cant tell if anyone's leeching connection usually.

post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Its a big open parking lot, and if I see a car coming up to me, Ill just eject the card, and put it in my glovebox, and say I needed somewhere to clear my thoughts and write a paper, since one time I was up there, and didnt notice a guy with a flashlight going around checking the locks on all the doors, and he came up to my car, I just closed my laptop and told him the exact same thing, and he just said "Oh, sorry to bother you then."
I seriously doubt the cops around here would even know what the hell the card is.

You can't tell either of my laptops have a card.........it's internal!

What's a cop gonna do? WHat CAN the redardo do..............nuttin!
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder
You can't tell either of my laptops have a card.........it's internal!

What's a cop gonna do? WHat CAN the redardo do..............nuttin!
yeah, but my laptop is old, and its not internal
and if they catch you trying to get into the network you can get in trouble. just like how wardriving is about seeing how many open connections you can find,not get into

Engage Wardrive Scottie!

Throughout the underground internet the last few months, everyone has been whispering the same magic word: ‘wardrive’. No, not warp-drive, like in the Star-Trek series, the ‘engine’ that allows to travel faster than the speed of light. Wardrive.
The term was coined by Peter Shipley, a US internet guru. It means looking around (driving) for wireless networks (war).
Hacking has always been about proving that, whatever the defence of a system, you are clever enough to defeat the security features. Wardriving is about the same sort of feats: trying to detect wireless networks as you walk around, and then attempting to gain access.
Imagine your neighbour has got an expensive cable connection, as well as a wireless access point (AP), but it's not protected! Well, you might as well just tap into it unnoticed and save lots of money.
Which is why the wardrive community has put up a code of ethics. Its first commandment is “Do not connect: At no time should you ever connect to any AP's that are not your own: [it] can be interpreted as computer trespass by law enforcement.”
So unlike hackers who stay in the shadows, the wardrive community, by its actions, tries to “generate awareness of the need by individual users and companies to secure their access points. [And] to provide a statistical analysis of the many access points that are currently deployed.”
But what if our wardriver is not a good guy? How would you hack into an internet access point? The danger of setting up access points is the lack of knowledge and training of system administrators. Rushed by their management to set up an AP in a conference room, there is a high risk that someone will just let the device working without securing its access.
If the AP is not protected by an encryption key, cracking it is just too easy. Now, the most common way to protect wireless access is to use an encryption method called WEP (for Wired Equivalent Privacy). WEP is used to prevent someone from eavesdropping on the communications between a computer and an access point by encrypting these communications with a key. However, a number of flaws have been discovered in the algorithm by a research team at the University of Berkeley. The flaws allow for retrieving the actual key protecting the communications.
Soon software have been developed using the flaws. Airsnort is probably the most famous. To find a key, Airsnort listens passively to the communications between a computer and an AP. Every once in a while, a packet of data exchanged contains a weak encryption (the famous flaws discovered). Once Airsnort has enough of these packets of data, it computes the key in seconds. Then your network is at the mercy of the hacker. Collecting enough data to process the key, however can take a long time, up to one month in certain cases, but the process remains totally unnoticed.
Wi-fi and access point security is no joke then. For now, fortunately for the industry, most of the wi-fi cards on the market are unable to listen passively to communications between APs and computers. Also, Airsnort has been developed for the Linux environment – which is not as widely used as Windows.
And finally, airsnorting and wardriving is still a relatively underground activity. Nonetheless, it is also a legal activity as they are used to alert the general public of the vulnerability of wireless internet technology.
Original URL: http://www.dmeurope.com/default.asp?from=f&Arti...

post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Haha, there's never anyone there when I do it so Im not worried about that, Ill even park in front of houses with the wifi, and they wont do anything, its not that easy to check for most people, and you cant tell if anyone's leeching connection usually.

netstat -va

Shows all connections, but then again the person doing it needs to know how and what to look for.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 08:32 AM
Lifer

90GT50 you out wardriving? you need to get an external amplified antenna and an orinoco card then you could grab that stuff from a long way off.

Kyle

I'm defending my home with a martial art: Klik-Pau

post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2600
netstat -va

Shows all connections, but then again the person doing it needs to know how and what to look for.
youd also need a person there watching the connection(there isnt one)

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiscat2000
90GT50 you out wardriving? you need to get an external amplified antenna and an orinoco card then you could grab that stuff from a long way off.

Kyle
Yeah, I know, but I dont have the money right now.
Know of anywhere I can get an amped antenna and orinoco for cheap?

post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 08:43 AM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

Jeremy, you'd be better off stealing Starbucks' wifi connection than trying to do something malicious on someones personal network.

keep in mind, your wifi card has a MAC address. It's special to your nic card, kind of like a VIN. If they wanted to catch you, it wouldn't be that hard.. unless you got deep enough into IP and MAC address spoofing, but i know you're too damned stupid to do all that.
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthreeohz
Jeremy, you'd be better off stealing Starbucks' wifi connection than trying to do something malicious on someones personal network.

keep in mind, your wifi card has a MAC address. It's special to your nic card, kind of like a VIN. If they wanted to catch you, it wouldn't be that hard.. unless you got deep enough into IP and MAC address spoofing, but i know you're too damned stupid to do all that.
Im not fucking with their network, Im just using it for the internet, since I have slow dialup at home. You have to pay for the hotspots, and theyre not worth it.
Even if they do get my MAC address, how are they going to know who it belongs to? I didnt register the card under my name or anything. Im not too worried about it.

post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 09:46 AM
350z

HACKER!

i have never done anything like that damn thief!

tacos?
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 10:11 AM
Pimp Juice ca. 1997

H4ck T3h Pl4n3t!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
God bless you Roscoe and all you do for humanity and this board in particular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
You know Roscoe, I used to think that you were some 16 yr.old punk with a speech impediment, but now I want you to marry one of my daughters ...'H'
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 10:16 AM
El Camino

Be careful out there. I know of a few ppl that leave their's open for a reason and log your packets and run some stuff back against people who connect to it.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulu
HACKER!

i have never done anything like that damn thief!
haha, you sold me the laptop!

I still need that 40GB hd

post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe
H4ck T3h Pl4n3t!!!
W3rD

post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 10:19 AM
Philippians 4:13

Quote:
I didnt register the card under my name or anything. Im not too worried about it.
If you aren't worried about it then why start the thread?

post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Ra
If you aren't worried about it then why start the thread?
I wanted to know if there was anyway to get an IP address from using a wireless card on a wireless network.

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:51 PM
tr1

Actually there are ways of telling who and what is on the network, however you will most likely not see it in a home or small network system. One thing you need to think about is why are you doing it. There are laws about getting into a network. These laws are federal and if you are downloading massive amounts you will be eventually found out. Trust me I know. If you are on a wireless system at home, use this post as a warning to turn on the encryption and change the ssid. If you are using a older wireless system, get the newer ones.

I do not want to get into a discusion about the ethics of stealing, but if you know it is wrong, why ask?
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1
Actually there are ways of telling who and what is on the network, however you will most likely not see it in a home or small network system. One thing you need to think about is why are you doing it. There are laws about getting into a network. These laws are federal and if you are downloading massive amounts you will be eventually found out. Trust me I know. If you are on a wireless system at home, use this post as a warning to turn on the encryption and change the ssid. If you are using a older wireless system, get the newer ones.

I do not want to get into a discusion about the ethics of stealing, but if you know it is wrong, why ask?
Im not downloading anything from them, and I just wanted to know if you could trace the IP from my card when Im using their connection.

post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:14 PM
El Camino

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1

Technically if you get into hacking, etc if there is no password then there is no crime. If there is a single character password then it is a crime. I blame the vendors selling these home access points having such crappy default configs.

If you do use someone elses internet for illegal activities then you are still doing something wrong and can still get caught.

Quote:
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be
Technically if you get into hacking, etc if there is no password then there is no crime. If there is a single character password then it is a crime. I blame the vendors selling these home access points having such crappy default configs.

If you do use someone elses internet for illegal activities then you are still doing something wrong and can still get caught.
Alright, thanks for the advice.

post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 02:34 PM

Quote:

LOL! Theft of service? Invasion of privacy?Intellectual property theft? You don't think it's illegal to leach off someone's connection?
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
LOL! Theft of service? Invasion of privacy? You don't think it's illegal to leach off someone's connection?
go do more drugs.

post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 02:37 PM

post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
wanna go to conoco for me?

post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 02:48 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

I wouldnt fuck with starbucks, Nick from the board runs that shit.
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
I wouldnt fuck with starbucks, Nick from the board runs that shit.
that would be illegal

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 03:18 PM
El Camino

Quote:
LOL! Theft of service? Invasion of privacy?Intellectual property theft? You don't think it's illegal to leach off someone's connection?
The service has been paid for to their isp they are the ones who chose to set up a wireless access point.

Invasion of privacy? Only if they have file sharing turned on and no permissions. In that case then no "crime" is commited otherwise you have to use other techniques to access data.

Intellectual property theft? How they are not stealing any original ideas. Also the person must not be too intellectual if they just threw up a wireless access point without reading the directions on setting it up properly.

I'm not saying if I agree if its right or wrong. I'm just stating how computer laws/crimes work. I know most of this from studying it for my certification and working with friends that do forensics and work for lawyers as expert witnesses in court.

Quote:
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 09:57 AM

Quote:
..you're stealing wifi from somewhere?
check it and let me know, just curious.

Jeremy

The owner of the router can see if someone is jacking some bandwidth.. but there is no way they can find you if that is what you are getting at.
post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 12:09 PM

they can but doubtfully have the proper equipment.
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 01:15 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
The owner of the router can see if someone is jacking some bandwidth.. but there is no way they can find you if that is what you are getting at.
They can find your MAC address out and trace that back to them if they are so inclined. But you are using a different MAC than your burned in MAC aren't you?
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Technically if you get into hacking, etc if there is no password then there is no crime.
Just like if someone doesn't lock their car and you only want to sit in it, no crime.
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedneck
They can find your MAC address out and trace that back to them if they are so inclined. But you are using a different MAC than your burned in MAC aren't you?

that is true... But I do nothink the average joe will have the ability to trace the entire internet for that MAC.. possible though.
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 03:08 PM

Wink

Kevin Poulsen prolly didn't think so either.
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

this thread is still alive? damn.

post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
DERP DERP DERP

so it turns out I cn reach linksys from my front yard, lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement