Windows XP SP2 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Windows XP SP2

okay i already saw the thread, but my issues where listed on there

I'm having serious issues with that service pack

so the guy at compusa tells me to go ahead and uninstall it, so i did, and guess what my internet still isnt working, im running off of cable, just using a modem, and no PPOE Login, just straight up broadband, and my computer still doesnt recieve anything but only sends...

Im about to just through the machine, cause i cant reformat, i have no drivers to back me up on all the hardware i have, half of the stuff was lost, since the computer is about a good 2 yrs old..

im running out of things to do, all it keeps telling me is that the network needs to be configured, and that tcpip needs to be reinstalled, but you cant uninstall it, it has to be reset by netshell(netsh), but i have no clue how to do it..

all i know is how to go into netshell using DOS
but thats as far as i can go..

gawd im soo frustrated cause i really want to get my machine up and going again...

i swear Microsoft needs to pay the people with the computers they missed up by issuing this retarded service pack, its usless, and i hate it...
who ever made it, and sent it out to millions of people to dl show be shot in the foot!

AHHHHHHHHHH!!! Can someone share there thoughts or suggestions of whatelse to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 03:20 AM
11-05-09

sp2 is JUNK. I installed it, then was forced to reformat my PC. It sounds like that's what you're going to have to do as well.

Is this a Laptop or desktop?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

this is my desktop, luckly my b/f has my lappie, and he didnt install the service pack, so im safe there..

its just my poor computer!!

two years of things all jammed up on that thing, unless i can get a slave drive and move over things, cause it would take more then 30 cds to remove everything from it..

plus all my computer games and all information on passwords saved on there.. blah, nvm if i can get the internet that i will just use my computer as a storage, and just buy a better machine, im gonna go search on ebay for some good deals..

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 08:50 AM
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLatina
and my computer still doesnt recieve anything but only sends...
Did you even think about disabling the firewall that's enabled by default on SP2?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 11:19 AM
Lifer

The personal firewall shouldn't kill your internet connectivity. I have installed SP2 on SEVERAL machines and it works fine so far. If you are certain that your problems were all brought on by SP2, remove it or take your machine back to a restore point using System Restore. As always if you have data at risk, pull that drive and slave it and get that data secured before you do anything.

Assuming you have removed SP2 or you decide to keep it and still have problems and want to troubleshoot, read on. You say you are connected directly to a cable modem, (I suggest you get a router BTW) are you sure the cable modem is working and is online? Check the status LEDS for this. If you are in doubt you can call Comcast and they can ping it for you. If the modem is responding and is on the broadband network you should be able to force your machine to obtain an IP using the IPCONFIG /release and /renew command.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement