How to tell your gonna have a bad day in the server room... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

How to tell your gonna have a bad day in the server room...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedneck

HOLY SHIT!!!! AC's go out?? The server room where i work has a "hot spot" and I though 80degrees was bad. That's insane
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 09:20 PM

eewwwww

89 Coupe
02 GT

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 12:31 AM
IA2

The company I used to work for years ago had a "distributed" system (sort of mini-mainframe multi-processor class system, and well before distributed systems were all the fashion) in a lights-out remote corporate office location that was many states away from the company's HQ in carrollton (this was in the early 1980's). The remote office had an A/C system that required someone to manually reset it when the power failed (duh). We always knew when the A/C was out because processors would start to fail from the excessive heat. When someone went into the computer room in these cases it was routinely way, way above 100f. In fact in one case some of the smoked plastic doors on the system's cabinets had begun to sag from the heat (the cabinets were the size of an average refrigerator, and there were several of them side by side). Still, the system usually remained operational in spite of the incredible abuse.

The worst case I ever heard of was a computer room that had approached 140 degrees and the tiles on the raised floor had actually begun to peel up along with a lot of other problems.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
HOLY SHIT!!!! AC's go out?? The server room where i work has a "hot spot" and I though 80degrees was bad. That's insane
Yeah. I feel 80degrees is to hot myself for a server room. Especially when you factor in not only the money in the room, but everyones data that they get pissy about if the server goes down for 2 minutes.

The AC was actually blowing hot air with the fan wide open. Plus the bank of servers putting off heat. At one time I had another sensor in one of my enclosures and it was consistantly 10-15 degrees hotter than the room temp. So the servers were around 120-125 degrees when this happened. Casualties were: lost 2 servers, 2 failed HD's(in 2 different servers, thank god for RAID5), T1 card in our $150k Video bridge failed, and had numerous weird things happen untill we got the room cooled off.

We have a brand new AC unit plus another AC monitoring the room. If the 1st AC fails for whatever reason the sencond AC will kick in when the room gets above a set temperature. Now the room stays between 60 and 65 degrees.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb
The worst case I ever heard of was a computer room that had approached 140 degrees and the tiles on the raised floor had actually begun to peel up along with a lot of other problems.
Good lord.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 02:29 PM
3rd shift sloucher

hells ya, that is kinda warm in there,

i remember when we where installing the new arm that moved the tapes around in the tape array, and some one plugged it in while i was in the lil box. All that was in there was my upper torso but damn that lil arm has to torque. i had a good bruse on my forhead.

another time i was crawing under the floor (raised floor for a/c to come in) and i was 7+ tiles away from where i got in the floor at and the cleaning crew put the tile back on.... damn is it dark under there.

: () { : | : & } ; : = <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement