Computer ( XP ) keeps rebooting automatically - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
If the shoe fits......

Computer ( XP ) keeps rebooting automatically

The CPU fan went out on my computer recently as well as this other tiny fan that was nearby. The computer was still working fine, no issues. Well after I replaced the cpu fan and the other tiny fan, the computer will reboot without ever completely booting up. It will get so far into the boot and then start all over again. It will ocassionally make it to the log in screen on the initial boot, but right after log in, it starts the reboot cycle again. Is my motherboard/cpu fried? It's about 3 yrs old.

83 Coupe POS,MS,H2D,T5
2000 Durango
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 08:47 AM
None

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
If the shoe fits......

I tried looking for the way to boot in safe mode. But couldn't remember how or find the setting/choice. What section of the settings is that?

83 Coupe POS,MS,H2D,T5
2000 Durango

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 10:44 AM
None

Restart the computer and after the BIOS will finish loading press F8 to enter advanced boot mode.
Select Safe Mode from the list.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
If the shoe fits......

i tried safe mode, debug mode, last setting that worked mode. they all do the same thing. continual looping at reboot. wtf.

83 Coupe POS,MS,H2D,T5
2000 Durango
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 03:57 AM
Where is Ms. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSP
The CPU fan went out on my computer recently as well as this other tiny fan that was nearby. The computer was still working fine, no issues. Well after I replaced the cpu fan and the other tiny fan, the computer will reboot without ever completely booting up. It will get so far into the boot and then start all over again. It will ocassionally make it to the log in screen on the initial boot, but right after log in, it starts the reboot cycle again. Is my motherboard/cpu fried? It's about 3 yrs old.
My computer did that when I got a new motherboard for it. IT does that because of a hardware or software change. Usually it's a major hardware change that causes it. I called support and basically they told me that XP gets confused because it has everything from the other setup saved in the hard drive and when it tries to boot w/ some new hardware, it gets confused and loops forever. I had to to a clean install of XP pro and now it runs perfectly fine.

Then out of curiosity I swapped hard drives on both of my computers and they both started looping because they were "confused". I swapped them back how they were and it was back to normal.

I don't know if you installed more memory or if you changed your CPU or any other major part of your computer. If it was just the fan i think it should be fine.

That's about all i can say. Good luck trying to get it to work.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 05:25 AM
Lifer

Any bulging or leaking caps?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Lifer

Did you remove the CPU from the mobo when you installed the CPU fan?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
If the shoe fits......

i didn't change anything but the fans. but i didn notice in the boot setup that it had a CPU fan setting so maybe it does look at that. I'll start with a new load of xP and see if that fixes it.

83 Coupe POS,MS,H2D,T5
2000 Durango
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 01:27 PM
3rd shift sloucher

depeding how far away you are i can come by and give it a gander,

: () { : | : & } ; : = <3
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Time Served

let us know if the reload works, mine is doing the exact same thing right now, but i just installed new mobo and its doing that. thanks also on boot up it says there is no 80 pin conductor cable,,,, i installed the cables that came with the board, even changed back to the original, i'm kinda lost now.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 03:49 AM
Where is Ms. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmik99
let us know if the reload works, mine is doing the exact same thing right now, but i just installed new mobo and its doing that. thanks also on boot up it says there is no 80 pin conductor cable,,,, i installed the cables that came with the board, even changed back to the original, i'm kinda lost now.
The 80 pin cables are about 5 bucks each at Fry's. Some motherboards require them. I used to have 40 pin but my new motherboard says it needs 80 pin. I don't really know what's the difference but it works fine now.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 05:08 AM
3rd shift sloucher

My bet is when you your computer is shutting its self down to avoid thermal melt down. Your bios set of parameters that read an internal diod on the cpu that gives the bios a temp, if the temp excedes what it should the computer will shut down to avoid a melt down. I have had this happen to many people where it would just keep restarting instead of shutting down.

Your options are. 1) Take it to some one who has done cpu installs. 2) take it to some where like bestbuy, CC, or Fry, and bend over on price, 3) Try again your self, remember the saying when it comes to thermal paste LESS IS MORE!, dont get a big sloppy coat on there, you need nice thin covrage.

: () { : | : & } ; : = <3
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 01:52 PM
Time Served

i reloaded xp, works fine now, thanks
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
If the shoe fits......

Man, you were right on. I cleaned it up and put new goop on there and it works perfect now.

83 Coupe POS,MS,H2D,T5
2000 Durango
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 05:59 AM
Lifer

I wouldn't have thought that would be the problem - I mean who would think the heat sink not contacting the CPU properly would cause bootup failure during the startup process?

I guess I am surprised the CPU would exceed max operating temperature during the first seconds of boot up. That CPU must be getting really hot.

just curious - is that machine overclocked?

Last edited by miketyler; 10-12-2004 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement