Windows XP SP2 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Windows XP SP2

Did they ever get the bugs fixed on service pack 2? I was hearing all kinds of horror stories about it and I have already turned down the upgrade like 5 times and now Microsoft is sending me emails telling to d/l it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason
Did they ever get the bugs fixed on service pack 2? I was hearing all kinds of horror stories about it and I have already turned down the upgrade like 5 times and now Microsoft is sending me emails telling to d/l it.
Works OK for me, no problems so far. I've had it since it officially came out.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I was hearing about alot of connectivity problems using broadband. Im about to the point that I need to wipe the hard drive clean and start over anyway but I just wanted to get some opinions.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 06:20 PM

i support it for microsoft business customers, we haven't really had that many issues with it.

It's pretty rock solid man
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 06:46 PM
None

If you run a PPOE login software on the computer for your DSL and have the SP2 firewall engaged, you might have problems.

But, if you get a hub/router that will take care of the PPOE for you, problem solved.

I see very little SP2 issues, most are due because some admin did something stupid and crashed the box.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 06:48 PM

I just uninstalled it becouse like i run Aim and msn and other programs connected all the time and it would cutt them off and cause them to have to reconnect every few minutes. so sometimes i didnt know if i was on or not. I tried turning off its firewall but it still did nothing. I have cable. I've been running fine without it for 3 days now.
~mike

ps
I do have a Linksys router.......
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 08:10 PM
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppar
I just uninstalled it becouse like i run Aim and msn and other programs connected all the time and it would cutt them off and cause them to have to reconnect every few minutes. so sometimes i didnt know if i was on or not. I tried turning off its firewall but it still did nothing. I have cable. I've been running fine without it for 3 days now.
~mike

ps

You can add AIM/MSN or any other program to the exceptions list for the firewall and not have to worry about it disconnecting every few minutes.

Just one more example of people not setting up their shit right and thinking something is broke.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 09:07 PM

Lol im an programing student at UTA, Actualy it comes already set up with the basic programs on there. Its a glitch were through the router it just drops packets.... BTW its already set up like that on everyones machine default. Think b4 you talk.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 09:26 PM
None

Oh hell..a programming student? at UTA? Fuck me running.... you're a goddamn genius.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 09:30 PM

LOL and your one hell of a nice guy! Way to help people out by pointing out whats already set up in the basic software. I sure hope you have a job that doesnt deal with people, either that or you just come on here to vent steam in wich case makes a great enviroment.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 09:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi
most are due because some admin did something stupid and crashed the box.
Just curious, what would this be?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 10:34 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppar
~mike

ps
ummm....Interesting. I have been running SP2 for a couple of months with both Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger running and have had no problems at all. I also have cable and a Linksys router like you. Sounds like you dont have something set up properly.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 11:55 AM
No, I don't have a turbo

SP2, cable, linksys BEFSR41

not a single issue

On my new gaming rig, I'll be slipstreaming SP2 in on the initial OS install
Sponsored Links
Advertisement