Mixing Wireless Routers, problems? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Mixing Wireless Routers, problems?

Any idea if there would be a problem mixing two different brands of wireless routers? Would I be able to access the controls from both on any computer? Or would I be better off getting the same brand?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 05:32 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

makes no difference.. thats why its called a "standard"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 06:13 PM
\(_o)/

Actually, depending on how you use them, they may not work with other brands. Some wireless access points will only connect with other WAPs that are from the same brand, depending on what kind of function they are thrown in.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 06:25 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_lightning
makes no difference.. thats why its called a "standard"
MS is a standard but it craps out all the time.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 09:23 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
MS is a standard but it craps out all the time.
I thought that was their standard.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Thanks for the respones everybody. I went ahead and ordered another Netgear router to compliment my current Netgear WAP. Figured it would be easier to configure as I could access the controls from the same page rather than two different ones because of the difference in brands.

Another question. Do they sell a Wireless Repeater that doesn't need to be wired physically to the network? It would save me the trouble of running CAT5 if they made something that helped extend the wireless signal.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
Another question. Do they sell a Wireless Repeater that doesn't need to be wired physically to the network? It would save me the trouble of running CAT5 if they made something that helped extend the wireless signal.
Yeah you can setup an AP as a repeater. Not sure if the cheap APs can but all Cisco AP's have the functionality. Just remember that Wireless acts like hubs where data has to be broadcasted everywhere not to just the computer you want to talk to like a switch does. I said that because when you setup an AP as a repeater it of course has to talk to the other AP(s). And in that you can choke your bandwidth since all the 'repeater' does is forward all packets to the non-repeater AP(s). So its like your cutting your bandwith in half for each repeater you add. For a few computers at your house, yeah its no big deal but trying this in the enterprise can cause some pissy end users.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedneck
Yeah you can setup an AP as a repeater. Not sure if the cheap APs can but all Cisco AP's have the functionality. Just remember that Wireless acts like hubs where data has to be broadcasted everywhere not to just the computer you want to talk to like a switch does. I said that because when you setup an AP as a repeater it of course has to talk to the other AP(s). And in that you can choke your bandwidth since all the 'repeater' does is forward all packets to the non-repeater AP(s). So its like your cutting your bandwith in half for each repeater you add. For a few computers at your house, yeah its no big deal but trying this in the enterprise can cause some pissy end users.
OK, does it have to be hard wired to the network it or can it work totally wireless just passing along the wireless signal and extending it's range?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Lifer

Quote:
OK, does it have to be hard wired to the network it or can it work totally wireless just passing along the wireless signal and extending it's range?

No. AP's that function as repeaters are not hard wired. This is cool since you dont have to run other wires. However, one misconception is your not adding another 11/22/54/108Meg(whatever flavor your running) worth of bandwidth to your network, rather you are just extending your pressent range. Which is why everything from the repeater AP has to go through your other AP's via wireless. Add that wirless acts as a hub , meaning everything is broadcasted to everyone, can choke your bandwitdth on not just the repeater AP but your main AP(s) as well. (I've tried this with 30 laptops and it sucks.) This is why you start getting degridation with your wireless since basicly your adding another AP but keeping the same bandwitdh and almost doubleing your present wireless traffic. Adding multiple AP's as non-repeaters will give you the extra (11/22/54/108 Meg) connection. But then again for just a few computers you could live with it. Also I've only tried with the 11Meg speeds, so the higher speeds might not be as bad since the pipe is somewhat bigger.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
No. AP's that function as repeaters are not hard wired. This is cool since you dont have to run other wires. However, one misconception is your not adding another 11/22/54/108Meg(whatever flavor your running) worth of bandwidth to your network, rather you are just extending your pressent range. Which is why everything from the repeater AP has to go through your other AP's via wireless. Add that wirless acts as a hub , meaning everything is broadcasted to everyone, can choke your bandwitdth on not just the repeater AP but your main AP(s) as well. (I've tried this with 30 laptops and it sucks.) This is why you start getting degridation with your wireless since basicly your adding another AP but keeping the same bandwitdh and almost doubleing your present wireless traffic. Adding multiple AP's as non-repeaters will give you the extra (11/22/54/108 Meg) connection. But then again for just a few computers you could live with it. Also I've only tried with the 11Meg speeds, so the higher speeds might not be as bad since the pipe is somewhat bigger.
Can you post up a link to an AP as an example? This would be a home network with maybe 1-3 wireless devices so it shouldn't be an issue.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 08:09 PM
Lifer

you must have a big a$$ house. My wireless works all the way to my neighbors house
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman
you must have a big a$$ house. My wireless works all the way to my neighbors house
Pretty big and it's an old house that used a lot of stone in the construction so signal penetration in certain areas isn't that great. Plus I'm on 4 acres of land and I'd like to extend the signal a little into the back yard were I do my BBQ'ing

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 09:25 AM
Lifer

ahh...makes sense. I always assume everyone lives in the new neighborhoods.

Yeah, the WiFi doesn't like the concrete,metal or stone too much.

--wes
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Can you post up a link to an AP as an example? This would be a home network with maybe 1-3 wireless devices so it shouldn't be an issue.

Cisco 1200 Repeater AP Info

Linksys WRE54G ~$90.00

D-Link 1000AP ~$156.00

D-Link 2200AP~$190.00

Cisco 1200AP ~$900.00 <-- And you have to buy the damn antenna's extra! They don't even give you the cheap "rubber ducky" antenna's. WTF!

Since the repeater functions can be propriatary (sp?) make sure your AP's are the same brand.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Cisco 1200 Repeater AP Info

Linksys WRE54G ~$90.00

D-Link 1000AP ~$156.00

D-Link 2200AP~$190.00

Cisco 1200AP ~$900.00 <-- And you have to buy the damn antenna's extra! They don't even give you the cheap "rubber ducky" antenna's. WTF!

Since the repeater functions can be propriatary (sp?) make sure your AP's are the same brand.

Cool, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Quote:
Unlike adding a traditional access point to your network to expand wireless coverage, the Wireless-G Range Expander does not need to be connected to the network by a data cable. Just put it within range of your main access point or wireless router, and it "bounces" the signals out to remote wireless devices.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement