Best Laptop need input - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
OC
Lifer

Best Laptop need input

I am looking to get a laptop for a friend who is deploying to IRAQ. It will mainly be used so they can e-mail back home, watch DVD's, and listen to CD's. If I could find one where they could burn CD's and DVD's that would be great but is not necessary.

Does anyone have any brand recommendations as well, based up durability, and lack of problems?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Professional Slacker

If money is not an issue.. I recommend IBM ThinkPad's all the way.. if money is an issue.. I would go with a low-end midrange Dell.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 03:11 PM
FPE - Full Plumber Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
If money is not an issue.. I recommend IBM ThinkPad's all the way.. if money is an issue.. I would go with a low-end midrange Dell.
IBM for sure, Dell though has crappy customer service and are kinda pricey for such basic options. Toshiba makes great laptops with lotsa built in options. For $1200 you can get a sweet centrino proccesor, dvd-cdr, 512mb ddr, 60gig hd and built in wifi.
I used to have an ACER that was incredible for the price but got stolen. I paid like $1300 for it and it had all the above stats plus dvd-r.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
OC
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottEvil
IBM for sure, Dell though has crappy customer service and are kinda pricey for such basic options. Toshiba makes great laptops with lotsa built in options. For $1200 you can get a sweet centrino proccesor, dvd-cdr, 512mb ddr, 60gig hd and built in wifi.
I used to have an ACER that was incredible for the price but got stolen. I paid like $1300 for it and it had all the above stats plus dvd-r.
What am I looking at for around $900-1000? Also how is IBM or Toshiba's customer service as far as mailing it in to get repaired under warranty?

Thanks
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 10:27 AM
FPE - Full Plumber Effect

they both are great. You will not find an ibm for less than $1300 though. they are the top of the line. Toshiba you will easily find one for that price.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 12:19 PM
not exclude

I have a Toshiba Satellite with a XVGA widescreen. It's a badass laptop and is great for media. It has a geforce to go with s-video out. And Doom 3 ran fairly well on it. It's fairly high end though.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 12:53 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

I've had my Sony Vaio for 3 years, no problems ever. It's seen lots of dyno time and a considerable amount of track time datalogging and running dfi/wideband. My brother has had his for 4 years and is a OTR truck driver, it gets used on a daily basis and has never had any problems. I know some people had problems with the motherboards (I guess laptops call them mainboards) but I've been lucky so far.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement