LINUX REDHAT 9.0 questions!? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Semi-Banned
 
Stng5Pnt8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dallas Tx. 75227/Grand Prairie 75052
Posts: 6,602
LINUX REDHAT 9.0 questions!?

i just got through installing LINUX REDHAT 9 on one of my pc's.

im wondering, which ISP can be used on LINUX platform (i know already that AOL is out of the question, and that's my ISP, so i guess it's time to change, i was thinking about sbcglobal DSL,? would that work on the Linux platform?

also, i just found my WIN XP pro cd, so i was thinking of maybe running a dual-boot setup,

how do i go by doing this, now that Linux is installed, and i didnt create a partition for WIN xp?

i probably should have created the partitions first but i couldnt find my xp cd,

if i had found it, i probably would have just installed virtual pc on the win xp, and installed Linux on there but now i guess here's where im left at.

(or how could i just re-install win xp, instead?)

any help would be helpful TIA
[tony]
Stng5Pnt8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 12:27 PM
El Camino
 
Stang2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: in front of the keyboard
Posts: 3,432
easiest way to dual boot xp and linux is to install xp first and leave space on the drive for your linux install. Then install linux. It should find the XP install and let you add it to the boot loader. I dual boot my work laptop with XP and Fedora Core 2.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Stang2be is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 01:10 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,831
As for ISP, you can use almost any ISP that does not require you to install special software to dial with... next in linux modems do not just work, make sure you hvae a modem that works.. most external modems that connect via serial port work in linux.

Second... you really need to install Winders first then linux to create a dual boot setup... it can be done afterwards but a littlebit more difficult.

Last, RH9 is old and is not really supported any longer, there are lots of secuirty holes if it is installed irght out of the box. Think about getting a newer distro, the free redhat is now called Fedora. Look for an updated distro.

Good luck
trey
trey85stang is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Semi-Banned
 
Stng5Pnt8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dallas Tx. 75227/Grand Prairie 75052
Posts: 6,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
As for ISP, you can use almost any ISP that does not require you to install special software to dial with... next in linux modems do not just work, make sure you hvae a modem that works.. most external modems that connect via serial port work in linux.

Second... you really need to install Winders first then linux to create a dual boot setup... it can be done afterwards but a littlebit more difficult.

Last, RH9 is old and is not really supported any longer, there are lots of secuirty holes if it is installed irght out of the box. Think about getting a newer distro, the free redhat is now called Fedora. Look for an updated distro.

Good luck
trey

how would i go about by intalling windows xp pro now?
w/the linux boost disk?

ill look into an updated distro then, but i would like to install xp right now atleast to get the computer working for now atleast. thnx

[tony]
Stng5Pnt8 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 02:22 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stng5Pnt8
how would i go about by intalling windows xp pro now?
w/the linux boost disk?

ill look into an updated distro then, but i would like to install xp right now atleast to get the computer working for now atleast. thnx

[tony]

hopefully you dont have anything you need on linux... install XP and during the text setup save some disk space to install linux... after you install, you can install linux.. any of the newer distros will automatcally setup lilo/grub for dual booting windows.
trey85stang is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Semi-Banned
 
Stng5Pnt8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dallas Tx. 75227/Grand Prairie 75052
Posts: 6,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
hopefully you dont have anything you need on linux... install XP and during the text setup save some disk space to install linux... after you install, you can install linux.. any of the newer distros will automatcally setup lilo/grub for dual booting windows.

well i just installed Linux last night...

and i found the WIn XP cd this morning,

i dont have anything at all on Linux RH that i need, (i tried installing sbcglobal DSL ) but it would'nt....the computer had DSL back when i had WIN ME installed,

anyways, i am going to do the dual-boot, or maybe just the WIN XP, the ? is how do i go about by uninstalling LINUX? and installing Win XP?

i tried booting off the Linux boot disk to see if i could somehow run fdisk....

i just starting using Linux so excuse all the questions... TIA


[tony]
Stng5Pnt8 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 06:41 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stng5Pnt8
well i just installed Linux last night...

and i found the WIn XP cd this morning,

i dont have anything at all on Linux RH that i need, (i tried installing sbcglobal DSL ) but it would'nt....the computer had DSL back when i had WIN ME installed,

anyways, i am going to do the dual-boot, or maybe just the WIN XP, the ? is how do i go about by uninstalling LINUX? and installing Win XP?

i tried booting off the Linux boot disk to see if i could somehow run fdisk....

i just starting using Linux so excuse all the questions... TIA


[tony]
Run windows xp setup.. and you can wipe all the partitions from the text setup. If you want a dual boot save about half the drive or so for linux.
trey85stang is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Semi-Banned
 
Stng5Pnt8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dallas Tx. 75227/Grand Prairie 75052
Posts: 6,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
Run windows xp setup.. and you can wipe all the partitions from the text setup. If you want a dual boot save about half the drive or so for linux.


well ive tried booting up from the win xp cd, but it just doesnt do anything to get it where i can wipe the partitions,,,
can i use a windows 98 startup disk or a 5.0 msDOSversion to delete the Linux
partitions...
??
Stng5Pnt8 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 08:48 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stng5Pnt8
well ive tried booting up from the win xp cd, but it just doesnt do anything to get it where i can wipe the partitions,,,
can i use a windows 98 startup disk or a 5.0 msDOSversion to delete the Linux
partitions...
??

yes win98 startup disk.. dos disk can partition the drive using fdisk, however you should be able to delete the partitions from text setup of WinXP... it is the first thing you do after accepting the license agreement.
trey85stang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome