Wireless network advice - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Hustlin'

Wireless network advice

I just picked up a 108 turbo wireless router w/ 4 port 10/100, its a netgear WGT624. This is my first wireless network so I figured I'd probe you folk and see what your input would be for buttoning it up security wise; it installed like a snap.

I'll only, for the immediate future, have 1 wireless adapter on the router (with 2 hard ether connections).

What I've already done

1) Changed admin pw
2) loaded latest firmware
3) changeds SSID name
4) Setup MAC filtering for local connecting devices
5) made a backup of my running config
6) setup a passphrase for WPA-PSK (though i don't have my wireless adapter yet to config WPA-PSK on yet to speak w/ the router encrypeted)
7) made encrypted and password protected document containing all criitical info/settings/config about the network

I think thats it.

I've got a small firewall client running on my workstation as well as on the other hard wired box.

Strangley, My image of XP has no ICF on my network connections. I tried to install/look for that component but couldn't find it; weird.

Anywho....just thought I'd get a little advice as to how I might want to consider some tweaks; that and possibly some PRO/CON on WEP vs. WPA-PSK as I can use only one or the other as it applies to my router.

Thx for any comments

--Scott

"Jesus has my heart, but Whiskey has my liver" --Jason Boland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 08:48 AM
Professional Slacker

I think you about got yourself covered... 64bit WEP is wimpy and can be cracked, 128bit WEB is better. I have not read of any succesful breaking a WPA pass... with the MAC-Filtering and encryption I think you are setup fairly well.. or as well as you can be.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 11:26 AM
El Camino

I'd have to agree. There are 40 and 108 bit wep crackers out there for linux. I haven't had to use one yet so I'm sure how many packets they really need. You might see if you can turn off broadcasting of your ssid. The cisco WAP's will let you do that but I'm not sure on the home versions.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Hustlin'

I disabled the brodcast on it just for good measure, I just researched that a bit and found that it may prevent XP from 'discovering' my wireless network.

I think once I get my wireless adapters up and going I'll enable it, get them up, then disable it again afterward.

Good, sounds like I'm reasonably setup then

"Jesus has my heart, but Whiskey has my liver" --Jason Boland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement