need help charter pipline + hub/switch not working - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
needaho

need help charter pipline + hub/switch not working

Ok so my parents went to switch to a new internet service and decided on Charter pipeline considering they use charter cable. Well least to say, the tech came out and installed the software on the crappiest computer in our house. I tried to route the internet through a linksys hub/switch (which worked perfectly while we were using Earthlink DSL) and I can't get any of our other computers to work on the internet, even if I hook them directly to the cable modem.

Does anyone know why my hub isn't working? Or do I need an actual router? or is it because the charter tech bastard only put the software on one computer and can you tell me where I can find it on this computer so I can move it to another computer?

If you guys can give me any help I'd be thankful.

88 gt (waiting to be built when I get my mid-life crisis)
2002 honda civic SI looks ricer without the damn pipe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 10:19 PM
Lifer

So what is the "software" the tech installed?

Maybe they limit only 1 IP for the service. If thats the case setup a linux firewall or buy a cable/dsl router.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
needaho

I don't know what the software was that the tech installed, I wasn't here when it was installed. I've heard of people that say they have a few different computers running off a router using charter. I have a 4-port switch and it worked perfectly for earthlink, I don't understand what the difference between a router and a switch is, wanna help?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 09:22 PM
Custom Title

I have Charter Pipeline for my internet, and no software installed. The crap thye install is just for troubleshooting and crap, totally useless for surfing. I have had several computers I installed from scratch, and they all work fine.

Does your Linksys know what the IP of the cable modem is? I have a linksys router with wireless access on it, 2 computers, one XP and one Linux hooked to it, both get out fine, and a laptop with XP and it gets out via wireless fine.

What sort of cable modem do you have? I have surfboard cable modem. See if you can connect to it,
http://192.168.100.1
and see what the settings are. I bet your switch just needs to be reconfigured.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 10:09 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefed88
I don't know what the software was that the tech installed, I wasn't here when it was installed. I've heard of people that say they have a few different computers running off a router using charter. I have a 4-port switch and it worked perfectly for earthlink, I don't understand what the difference between a router and a switch is, wanna help?
Well in simple terms a switch is designed to connect multiple computers onto a single network or a LAN(Local Area Network). A router is a way of connecting 2 different networks, namely your LAN and the WAN(your ISP, in your case Charter Cable). So if you just plug your internet connection directly into a switch,like you did with Earthlink, then you are bypassing the LAN and just adding your computers to the WAN. This requires an IP address from Earthlink/Charter/WhateverISP for each computer you plug into the switch in this senerio. I'm guessing Earthlink doesnt care and just hands out the IPs to any computer on the network. This would allow you to have multiple computers conneted to the Internet with Earthlink. Sounds like Charter only hands out 1 IP, which would only allow a single computer to connect to the Internet at a time. What you need in this case is a router/firewall. The router/firewall gets the 1 IP address from Charter and then any computer you connect to the router/firewall connects to the internet as if they were the router/firewall. This allows you to have multiple computers connected to the Internet only using 1 IP. Also the firewall adds some security by blocking most of the worms/hackers out there from getting into your computer(s).

Hope that helped, tired not to get to technical for ya.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Time Served

I have 3meg Charter and you they require a router. A hub will not work. They only issue one ip. Back in the day when it was Charter at Home, you could get more than one ip but not since the change. I have a netgear router. You have to make sure that all of your computers are in the same workgroup and they have they have the correct computer name.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
needaho

Well I figure I should go out and get a router. I know I'm not as network savvy as you guys, but if I hookup the modem directly to another one of my computers, shouldn't that computer be able to get on the internet? I tried that to no avail already, is there some setup in the computer that I need to rearrange?

I was thinking maybe there was a way to find out the IP address of the modem, and then have to set up the computer to accept the IP address or something.

BTW, the computer that internet is running on right now runs Win98 and the computer I'm trying to get connected is WinXP

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 03:24 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe50
I have 3meg Charter and you they require a router. A hub will not work. They only issue one ip. Back in the day when it was Charter at Home, you could get more than one ip but not since the change. I have a netgear router. You have to make sure that all of your computers are in the same workgroup and they have they have the correct computer name.

Hmmm....I don't know about that.

I called less than a month ago when I installed my wireless router, and they told me you HAD to have a 2nd IP, and are billing me for said 2nd IP....
(Also using a Netgear router)

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

I use Charter's router, because you will have to give them the MAC address of a router you use in place of their. That way they know it is an authorized router on their system.

After that router, you can place another router or a switch. I have a firewall router. See picture. BTW, delete any charter software. I have never used that crap.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 09:25 PM
Time Served

That's funny because I have had as many as three boxes running at once on my Charter. No problems what so ever. Maybe I am lucky I guess. From what I understand, the router issues it's own secondary public ip to the lan. The lan connects to the wan on a single ip that is "routed" to each secondary. I may be totally wrong because I am not computer wizard but I have had no problems with more than one box so I am satisfied.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 09:37 PM
I'm Yer Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe50
That's funny because I have had as many as three boxes running at once on my Charter. No problems what so ever. Maybe I am lucky I guess. From what I understand, the router issues it's own secondary public ip to the lan. The lan connects to the wan on a single ip that is "routed" to each secondary. I may be totally wrong because I am not computer wizard but I have had no problems with more than one box so I am satisfied.
I have the 2meg 1 ip and have alos had 3 machines on the net at once with just a D-Link Router

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2009 HD Street Glide
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
needaho

Well I went and bought a D-link router and tried hooking it up. Got everything plugged in (BTW, it's really stupid the way they tell you two ways of hooking it up) and tried to get onto the wizard IP address 192.168.0.1, and it didn't do sh*t.

I'm confused, any particular way you guys hooked this crap up?

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 06:09 AM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Should be plug and play, nothing to setup with new routers. Try the following commands from the command prompt.

"ipconfig /release"
"ipconfig /new"
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
needaho

ok, called up charter, they told me my account is good for up to 5 computers, I just have to do the networking myself. So now I have a D-link DI-604 router that will be hooked up to a computer with Win98 and one with WinMe. When I hooked up the WinMe computer, the router wizard automatically popped up, did that and let everything go, but still ain't working.

Can I manually configure the IP address of a computer? If this goes on much longer I'm just going to have one of you genius' come over here and set this crap up.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefed88
ok, called up charter, they told me my account is good for up to 5 computers, I just have to do the networking myself. So now I have a D-link DI-604 router that will be hooked up to a computer with Win98 and one with WinMe. When I hooked up the WinMe computer, the router wizard automatically popped up, did that and let everything go, but still ain't working.

Can I manually configure the IP address of a computer? If this goes on much longer I'm just going to have one of you genius' come over here and set this crap up.
I have had a LAN party at my house with more than five people using my Charter cable, while using a router.

Are you using the cable router from Charter? K. Then have the CAT5 from the cable router to you router's "uplink". Then plug all your other computers in to your router's other connections.

No manual settings, just do what I posted above to each computer, if the computer doesn't get net access.

$5 if I have to come over to your house.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Yes I'm...

My guess is that it's a provisioning problem. Most cable modem companies provision the NIC MAC on one PC into their system, so without additional configuration, only that PC will work. The best thing to is to tell your router to mask the MAC on the PC that works. My D-Link router has a "Clone" button to do that for you in the router config.

'98 Camaro SS: Incon twin turbo. Sold
'99 Camaro SS: Heads/cam/bolt-ons. Sold.
'91 Camaro RS: Stock.

2010 Camaro SS: Hell yes.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
needaho

Texasdevildog, I'm not using a charter router, only their modem. I have a D-link router. O2BQIK, I tried the MAC cloning already and I just can't figure out what's up, the only thing I'm thinking could be wrong is...I don't know what the hell the DNS address is (insert confused smily). What is the DNS address?

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 08:59 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Sponsored Links
Advertisement