Internet connections are getting hidden... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Internet connections are getting hidden...

I got on tonight, and went to dial-up, but my dial-up connection was gone. Thought that was odd, but I went to recreate it. Was then told, that a connection with that name existed, so I knew then that it wasn't gone, just hidden for some reason. So I created one with a new name, just to be able to log on and try to find out wtf is going on.

As soon as I started the connection, that connection icon dissapears. Suspecting some sort of virus, I've been scouring through my processes, nothing out of the ordinary. I just ran a full system scan, 3 items found all in emails as I would expect them to be there.

So wtf is going on? Is this some new virus, or something? Yesterday all was well, and I got online to play a little FFXI around 1am, logged off around 2am, and went to bed. No websites browsed, no emails received. And the computer was off from then until now.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 10:19 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

The following events can cause this puzzling state of affairs on XP and Win2K systems:

1. A duplicate rasapi32.dll file exists in the system root. This file is usually in the %systemroot%system32 and %systemroot%system32\dllcache directories (and possibly some service pack uninstallation directories). If this file exists anywhere else in %systemroot%, you need to delete the rogue copies and restart the Remote Access Connection Manager Service.
2. The Telephony or Remote Access Connection Manager services aren't running. If so, start the stopped service. If the services are running, restart them and see whether it corrects the problem.
3. A user-specific registry setting is preventing access to network connections. Microsoft provides no information about how or why the registry contains invalid data, but the company does indicate that you should delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Telephony\Cards\Next registry subkey and restart the Make New Connection Wizard. You might also want to restart the Telephony service after you make this registry modification.
4. You use NTBackup to restore the System State, and network adapters are missing or identified incorrectly. NTBackup has a known Plug and Play (PnP) bug that occurs when you restore the system state on Win2K systems. A new version of NTBackup is available directly from Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS). If you canít wait for a support contract, you can work around the problem by modifying a registry subkey on the target system before you initiate the restore. The subkey tells NTBackup not to restore the PnP database. See the Microsoft article "Network Adapters Are Missing or Incorrect in Device Manager After You Run NTBackup to Restore System State Data" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810161) for details.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Well, none of those situtations existed, that I know of. I did a system restore to July 30 that night, and it's been peachy since.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement