Where's a good PC Tech around Rich/Plano? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Where's a good PC Tech around Rich/Plano?

We had a house fire last Thanksgiving and a cleaning company took all our electronics out and supposedly "cleaned" them in some type of o-zone room.

Anyways, we got the PC back and it's messed up. It's an AMD Athlon 1.2 gig and it freezes now under small load (i.e.- installing network card). It's got XP on it and system manager is saying it's only got an 800 meg chip?!?! I know it's not a RAM problem cause I've tried switching that. Other than that I'm stumped.

Anyone know of a decent computer tech in the area that could look at it? I bought all the stuff for the comp. at IMS(?) computers that used to be at Independence and Parker, of course now they're gone.

Any help is appreciated.
Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 10:42 AM
Bite Me!!!

if it was in a house fire.... build a new one... there is no way they can get those things clean after that smoke and shit... make your insurance company replace it and be done with it... you will probably spend more trying to save it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

See, that's the thing. It was closed in an armour in a room that didn't have a whole lot of damage. I don't think the smoke did much to it, I'm thinking it was whatever they used to clean it.

Although, now that I think about it.....I was using it when we found the fire, so it was on at the time. Maybe that could have messed it up too.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 10:47 AM
Bite Me!!!

if it was on is sucked up smoke in the psu and the computer was covered in soot.... even if it was off and closed in the closet.... it is more than likely fucked.... ever wonder why they don't advise you to smoke at your pc.... its bad... just imagine house fire smoke...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 11:30 AM

soot can be cleaned off by submerging it in water with a water based sistiller.. only problem is you have to dry it with a dehumidifier for about 3 days or it will short out when you turn it on. but the most likly problem is soot in the heat sinks.. it is probably keeping it form cooling. pull the fan off the cpu and replace it if it is very dirty.

EDIT: if it still locks after putting a new fan on it.. there is no telling what is wrong with it... but a new fan is probably $10 bucks.. worth a try.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Well, the damn thing was supposed to have already been cleaned by professionals.

I would just like to at least get it checked somewhere. Price doesn't matter since the insurance will be paying for repairs.

Sooooo......any recommendations on a place or person to take it to?

'preciate the help so far guys,
Kyle
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie aggie
Well, the damn thing was supposed to have already been cleaned by professionals.

I would just like to at least get it checked somewhere. Price doesn't matter since the insurance will be paying for repairs.

Sooooo......any recommendations on a place or person to take it to?

'preciate the help so far guys,
Kyle
FYI, most professionals that clean smoke damage do not know how to clean electronics properly... I do know how though, I wasted a year doing that crap... but the equipment used to clean electronics is not cheap so most do not do it properly.

If I were you I would get the adjuster to replace the computer...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 01:13 PM
El Camino

Get someone here to write you a high estimate for "professional cleaning" so they will just replace it. Slip them a little something or take em out for drinks in return.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 01:29 PM
Bite Me!!!

PM me
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 04:54 PM
[]D[][]\/[][]D

let AbecX have a look at it, PC tech is his strong point!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 05:13 PM
Time Served

pm sent

1995 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement