Xbox n00b questions - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Warden

Xbox n00b questions

I recently picked up a used Xbox and this is the first game console I have owned since the Atari 2600. I plan on chipping it and have been reading some of the sites but I am more confused than anything. Whats the best modchip out currently? I prefer non-solder, but I can if its better.

Also, what games are cool? I got a couple of car games with it and Dead to Rights. I prefer mindless shootem up games like the old Doom or Quake where you dont have 45,000 moves to do crap. You just run around and kill people and blow stuff up. Dead to Rights is too much work. Are there any games like that that still have cool graphics? I know counterstrike runs on Xbox but thats almost too much work, reloading and all

Btw, playing racing games on a 4'x6' screen is cool! I even got my wife do the drag racing part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 09:50 PM

I hear you on the confusing part... I think I Stang U has done all teh good stuff to one.. might even be runnign linux on it.

I think you can get away with running linux and evox without having a modchip.. but as you said it gets confusing, everything you read.. you get a little bit of information and then a link to more information.. it gets confusing.

As soon as I can find a good howto article I will be makeing the xbox purchase
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 12:01 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

The solderless chips seem to be good, but a pain in the ass. You also have to make sure it works for your version of Xbox... and unfortunately there's no 100% effective way of doing that. You have to open it and look at the board/chip/psu, etc ... and you can kind of guess. There's apparently a new solderless chip that claims to work with all versions, I haven't had a chance to look at it, but if it does that'd rock.

The solderless chips are a bit more expensive than the solder ones, however. They have solder chips anywhere from 30+ wires to 1 wire, based on how new the chip is.

I still need to get me another chip for mine. The first solderless one I got didn't work with my Xbox, so it got sent back. Was going to get a 1 or 2 wire solder chip, but might look at the new solderless one instead. Just got lazy and haven't bothered to continue modding it. It's basically collected dust for the past 8 months. I want it not for Xbox games, but for adding other game system emulators to it, so I can play other console games on it, as well as DivX movies. And maybe a few Xbox games if any catch my eye.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Warden

DW,
I think we want it for about the same reasons. I'll let you know what I figure out and you let me know. I'll contact Josh and see what he knows about it.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 11:42 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Sounds cool Yeah I gotta get with Josh and my buddy Nathan too, and figure this thing out.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Bite Me!!!

I have been doing a lot with my xbox... at this point I have the ability to

save and play backup games from HD
browes internet with out linux
stream movies, mp3, shoutcast, streaming video or just about anything through it across network or internet...

Dvd's eithe ifo/vob's or just tell it to open the img or iso I just found out about this one have to try it tonight..

old school emulators, Mame (never really got it to work right) Snes, snes64, sega, and nes....

there are some trainers you can build for games but I haven't really gotten into that...

we are still trying to figure out if game play will be okay to launch the game across the network... just haven't had time to really test it out.

installed gentooX but havne't played with it much needs to be updated to new version.

But all of this is pretty damn time consuming... or you can bring it over and we just ftp everything over then you can customize it
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Stang U
I have been doing a lot with my xbox... at this point I have the ability to

save and play backup games from HD
browes internet with out linux
stream movies, mp3, shoutcast, streaming video or just about anything through it across network or internet...

Dvd's eithe ifo/vob's or just tell it to open the img or iso I just found out about this one have to try it tonight..

old school emulators, Mame (never really got it to work right) Snes, snes64, sega, and nes....

there are some trainers you can build for games but I haven't really gotten into that...

we are still trying to figure out if game play will be okay to launch the game across the network... just haven't had time to really test it out.

installed gentooX but havne't played with it much needs to be updated to new version.

But all of this is pretty damn time consuming... or you can bring it over and we just ftp everything over then you can customize it
If i went and bought an xbox off the shelf at best buy right now.. would all this stuff work?? or would it need to be bios flased or something??? if it is just an FTP away.. I think I will pick one up soon; if you dont mind hooking me up with some ftp action

what size hard drive are you running in yours?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 04:18 PM
Bite Me!!!

you have to buy a mod chip and a larger hard drive...

it take several hours to get the mod chip lined up and flashed.... I can do it for you but need a mod chip and hard drive in return ;-)

it has taken me about 4 months to get mine to where it is now... and lots and lots of LATE NIGHTS....

I could probably get one up and running now in about 5-8 hours

use this chip: http://shop.system-mods.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=100

and don't buy a brand new xbox buy a refurbed so you don't happen to get a newer version box...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 04:22 PM

Quote:
you have to buy a mod chip and a larger hard drive...

it take several hours to get the mod chip lined up and flashed.... I can do it for you but need a mod chip and hard drive in return ;-)

it has taken me about 4 months to get mine to where it is now... and lots and lots of LATE NIGHTS....

I could probably get one up and running now in about 5-8 hours

use this chip: http://shop.system-mods.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=100

and don't buy a brand new xbox buy a refurbed so you don't happen to get a newer version box...

sweet... Let me get the the boss' approval. You just want the orginal xbox drive for the modchip install.. or a new (large capacity) drive?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Bite Me!!!

can you im me... it would be a larger one and if you im me I will tell you why...

cause believe me I would not try and rip anyone off...

purecool79 is my yahoo... shoot me an im...
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 04:38 PM

Quote:
can you im me... it would be a larger one and if you im me I will tell you why...

cause believe me I would not try and rip anyone off...

purecool79 is my yahoo... shoot me an im...
I can im you later this evening, but not right this moment... I don't think you are trying to rip me off.. btw the boss approved the xbox purchase... but not a harddrive or mod chip she says i have to wait
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 04:47 PM
Bite Me!!!

you can use the softmod and just play burned games I think... I haven't delt with that much....

I have a xbox for sale with a bad dvd drive ;-)

it is actuall brand new... I used my old xbox with the new drive.... so the new xbox got the bad drive... make sense... it is apart waiting to be modded ;-)

then you could hook up a pc dvd drive to it and be good to go... but im me and we can talk about it tonight... I should be online around 9 or 10
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 07:16 PM
CFH

So you can't mod a xbox after a certain date? Even if I just want to be able to play burned games?

2009 Pontiac G8 GT white hot

RIP - Dimebag Darrell 12/8/04
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 10:22 PM
Lifer

Xbox Mod Party? I have 2.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Bite Me!!!

some of the newer xboxs will not work with the mod chips that are out very well... I don't know much about the softmod.... but if I cna't put the games on the HD or stream movies to it... thens whats the point
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 10:37 AM

Quote:
some of the newer xboxs will not work with the mod chips that are out very well... I don't know much about the softmod.... but if I cna't put the games on the HD or stream movies to it... thens whats the point
I think I will give the softmod a try to start with, it will allow you to copy games to the harddrive... I dont know about streaming movies though.

I tried catch you on yahoo last night?? but I dont think you were on.. my id is trey85stang... ill try and catch you tonight.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 10:44 AM
Bite Me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey85stang
I think I will give the softmod a try to start with, it will allow you to copy games to the harddrive... I dont know about streaming movies though.

I tried catch you on yahoo last night?? but I dont think you were on.. my id is trey85stang... ill try and catch you tonight.
you will have room on that standard HD to copy like one newer game...

the last couple I copied where like 6 gig...

that drive is only 8 and you get like 4 maybe 6 useable :-)
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 10:50 AM
Time Served

http://www.id-discussions.com/

click forums and scroll down to the xbox gaming area tons of info they even sell the chips and what not. getting the games u can download games at http://www.suprnova.org but u need a bittorrent client.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 11:08 AM

Quote:
you will have room on that standard HD to copy like one newer game...

the last couple I copied where like 6 gig...

that drive is only 8 and you get like 4 maybe 6 useable :-)

I found this link... This does not sound that hard to do, I will try this first... but I have to find an xbox first I went to a few gamestop's yesterday none of them have used ones only new.

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/n...p-hdd-swap.php
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Bite Me!!!

just call one of them they should be able to tell you who has refurbed... I know the ones up by me in plano have them almost all the time..

if you are going to do the hard drive mod and everything why not go ahead and put a chip in it ;-)
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Warden

Josh, The link you posted for that mod chip states its no longer in production.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 09:09 PM
Bite Me!!!

No longer in Production - New solderless adaptor arriving 7-15 for lite and pro chips

you maybe able to find it at some other stores... if you want to solder get the pro... but I didn't wanna .....

I am sure they will get some new solderless stuff soon though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement